Wiki Posts
Search

Missed first flight, LH cancelled return

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2022, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Missed first flight, LH cancelled return

I booked an Economy Light ticket within Europe, but missed the outbound flight (didn't check in). Lufthansa seemed to cancel the return flight automatically (I can buy a one-way for 400+ Euros).

What is the current policy on this ? I thought LH are required to honour all segments under consumer law ?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Standard practise if you fail to take any flights within a booking the remaining flights are cancelled
boss315 and Annerk like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 4:33 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Yes this isn’t a Lufthansa specific process, it’ll happen with any airline
LBBflyer, thepfy and boss315 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 4:38 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
If you no-show on your first segment, the assumption is you will not travel at all, hence the airline correctly cancels.
thepfy and boss315 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Lufthansa have a specific “do you want to fly the flights in this order” question when booking to address this after a court decision. So if you ticked the “yes” box there (or didn’t tick the “any order” box) then you’re sol.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Originally Posted by flyGreg
I booked an Economy Light ticket within Europe, but missed the outbound flight (didn't check in). Lufthansa seemed to cancel the return flight automatically (I can buy a one-way for 400+ Euros).

What is the current policy on this ? I thought LH are required to honour all segments under consumer law ?
If the whole ticket is unused, you can ask for tax refund. As your reservation is no longer valid, you have to do it via call centre. Expect some 60€ in taxes minus admin fee.
If you know in advance you will not be flying, it is always better to cancel before firsts leg, the on-line tool will show you what you can recover. Or rebook BEFORE departure for 70€ + fare difference
Old Jul 23, 2022, 8:26 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by flyGreg
No, it is not. Not sure why you are under that impression because, as far as I am aware, this has never been the case in Europe. In case of LH specifically you actually have to agree specifically with this policy otherwise you would not have been able to book an Economy Light ticket.

In the US Skiplagged has made some headlines on this topic if you are interested to look it up, however it is universally accepted and understood that after a missed segment the rest of your itinerary is going to be repriced or removed.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
This is why you always book 2x one ways if it is the same price (or within a marginal amount)
Old Jul 23, 2022, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
This is why you always book 2x one ways if it is the same price (or within a marginal amount)
One ways on LH group are usually more than a return flight
59Impala likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
But this is not the way LH price its fares. O/W fare is more expensive than 50% of the return fare.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:41 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by SK AAR
But this is not the way LH price its fares. O/W fare is more expensive than 50% of the return fare.
Doesn't this encourage people to buy return and skip the inbound trip?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rt23456p
Doesn't this encourage people to buy return and skip the inbound trip?
Yes
Old Jul 23, 2022, 3:37 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Unless you may want to change the flights. Instead of one change fee, there’ll be two.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:42 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Hold on... I am fairly sure after the Court ruling, our Corporate Travel Agency got a permanent waiver from LH to handle these cases. If you want to only use the inbound part, they would cancel the outbound and reissue the e-ticket - without any fee - to reflect only the inbound sector. The trick works ONLY before the schedules outbound departure and ONLY if you do not amend any inbound flights. On Tuesday I can check with them, if it still works...
hugolover and iLied like this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it Italy or somewhere that exempts this as well?

I’ve got doubts it meets the Unfair Terms Regulation.

Fly Ryanair, each “return” is made of two one ways that don’t affect each other. No old fashioned ticket mumbo jumbo there.
DiamondMile and theKrafty1tar like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.