Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking tips from Ryanair: No more free seats at OLCI on Light Fares

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I am flying OS on Eco Light tomorrow.

Ticket issued before this change went into effect, but after it was announced.

Auto placed at 29F in an A320 and into 11A in an E95. I was able to change both for free, unfortunately no exits were available any more (I checked in about 32 hours before departure)
I have M&M FTL status tied to this booking.
hugolover and iLied like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I am flying OS on Eco Light tomorrow.

Ticket issued before this change went into effect, but after it was announced.

Auto placed at 29F in an A320 and into 11A in an E95. I was able to change both for free, unfortunately no exits were available any more (I checked in about 32 hours before departure)
I have M&M FTL status tied to this booking.
Thanks for this update. FTL and almost the last row, that's bad.
Glad you could change seats free of charge. I don't think the system took in considertation your issuing date. That would be unbelievable, it is not updating easier transactions although.
I am flying on eco light Monday, will update too what's gonna happen.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by kai.lileboo
Thanks for this update. FTL and almost the last row, that's bad.
Glad you could change seats free of charge. I don't think the system took in considertation your issuing date. That would be unbelievable, it is not updating easier transactions although.
I am flying on eco light Monday, will update too what's gonna happen.
On the upside, the whole row was empty. If the seats are auto-assigned at checkin open time, and not at actual check-in only, this bodes well at least for selecting seats without having to watch for changing situation as flight nears departure.
Unfortunately on this flight almost everything in front of exits is full, except for a couple of middles, and two aisles next to an occupied middle. I've put myself in 14A, which is also an empty row, for the time being. I'll watch the situation, as moving forward would be very useful, I only have a 40 minute connection and the flight is known for delays.
On my second flight, I've got 11A and so far I've just put myself in 11F cause 11C is occupied but 11D is not. Might put myself to 6A though. Both 6A and 6C show free.

Last edited by Fabo.sk; Jun 23, 2022 at 1:55 pm
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Flew eco light on LX ZRH-LCY yesterday, could still choose seats on OLCI, was given 12C on an A220-100 initially. Business ran until row 8/9. Booking tied to my A3 *G. Could change for free.

Supervisor came with a flight manifest at the start of the flight since there were a few Dutch people transferring at LCY to KLM LCY-AMS (LX734 ZRH-AMS got cancelled) and they were querying about stuff, and from what I could peek, *G (both LH group and other Star Alliance carriers) were all grouped in front in Economy.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:49 am

Nice surprise

I checked in yesterday BCN-FRA-MUC-TIA on Eco Light. The system gave me two windows and an aisle but I was able to change all seats without a fee. Maybe it's because I bought the tickets before the rules were announced or maybe it's my NH Gold status giving me a free pass? Or maybe they're giving some more time on this dreadful policy? In any event quite a relief.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:01 pm

Clear as mud.

https://www.lufthansa.com/gb/en/adva...ns#light-tarif
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:12 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Flying tomorrow 11am intra-EU flights with a layover in FRA.
H-40 could select seats for free and were still there when I checked in via App at H-27 this morning.
The first is CRJ and all exists were gone?, I could have changed my seat again for free, the second is A321neo and exit row 11 is now gone ( as per A321-100/200), both new exit rows 12 and 14 were also already taken. I am not sure if they were blocked. I was always able to get at least one or two available exits at check in.
I bought the ticket back in April.
It seems that the system took that in consideration. That's nice!
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:54 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by hugolover
There's a DP on VFT to say that they were able to pick any seat on OLCI for free based presumably on the ticket issuance being two months ago. Hence (perhaps) the system is respecting the rules based on ticket issuance date.
Same for me for 1 out of 3 "legacy" tickets. Given that the VFT folks are all SEN or better, I don't dare booking new Light fares as a lowly *G until the day this has been confirmed.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:37 am

Return of the aforementioned ticket.

I tried to check in as soon as possible. Managed to do it at about T-46.

E-jet into Vienna, auto assigned 11F, changed to 8A. 6 rows assigned to J, so second row of eco. Exits occupied.

A320 out of Vienna, auto assigned 29C. Moved to 6F, again second row of eco. This time, some exits available, charged at 25€.
weero, hugolover and yurtripper like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Paid OLCI seats are really here. That's lovely.
gojko88 and yurtripper like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
Paid OLCI seats are really here. That's lovely.
At least it was only the exists and not all seating. Thus far.

I wonder if exits are paid also for CLS fares. I was on a CLS fare earlier this year and was able to select exits on OLCI for free. (although... that was on LH marketed flights. That might also have made a difference)

Either way, I was already heavily leaning towards excluding OS LGT fares from my future searches due to 0 bag rule. This time, I was gonna fly HBO anyway so I took it.
...... thing is this is my most common route, at least outside business trips. And now OS is almost the only option. There is LO but they are consistently almost 100EUR more expensive than OS, and it's only gonna get worse if I start doing openjaws with VIE again... so I'm screwed either way.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:49 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Had a cool combo of Helvetic/Swiss/LH mainline/Air Dolomiti this weekend and can confirm I was able to change seats without paying on all flights. Exit rows were unavailable on all flights too, however.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Were the exits occupied or just unavailable to you?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:20 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
No idea to be honest. I do have my *G status associated with all my bookings, but it's been a few months since I've seen any exit row availability on LH flights. Not sure if I no longer get access to them at OLCI or if I was just unlucky.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Flying tomorrow on a Light Fare and the assigned me seats in the front part of Eco section.
It was OK to choose seats but did not check if it was possible to book Emergency seats free of charge.
For whatever it counts, the ticket was bought many months ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.