Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4Y/LH Leasing Finnair A359 to operate to MCO/PHL/TPA in Winter 22/23

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by TBD
Is it possible to reserve a seat in advance? I booked this 4Y/AY flight from United (016). I have the LH PNR, but LH says advanced seat reservations are not possible. Thanks.
To share another experience, I will be flying the 4Y TPA-FRA route in a few days on an econ award ticket (booked via UA), and had the same issue looking up any seat options online - UA and LH said it's not possible, and the other relevant wesites, Eurowings or Finnair, couldn't locate the booking at all. However, I was just able to call their German call center at +49 (0) 30 915 88 620 right when it opened, got a live agent in 10 seconds, and they said they could assign me any of the free-of-charge seats over the phone, and said there were many open. I could never find any seat map to look at, but at least they got me an aisle in the front half. The agent told me that if I wanted any premium seat like row 41 or for any potential upgrade, that I could call Finnair directly, since I would have to pay for the seat through Finnair as the operating carrier. I'll try that later too for curiosity, and at least see what they're offering and at what price.

edit: Well, after calling Finnair, and sitting on hold forever while a supervisor tried to find my reservation via eticket# and all booking codes, they determined that Finnair has no passenger reservation access for 4Y flights, and said nothing more I can do until the airport check in. This Eurowings Discover setup sure is a convoluted mess...
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.

Last edited by yst33; Jul 15, 2022 at 1:30 am
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by yst33
This Eurowings Discover setup sure is a convoluted mess...
It really is. Trying to have any type of in-depth conversation about the LH then 4Y then LH operated by AY now 4Y operated by AY flight is so confusing. Even discussing it with seasoned travelers is a mess.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:07 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by yst33
To share another experience, I will be flying the 4Y TPA-FRA route in a few days on an econ award ticket (booked via UA), and had the same issue looking up any seat options online - UA and LH said it's not possible, and the other relevant wesites, Eurowings or Finnair, couldn't locate the booking at all. However, I was just able to call their German call center at +49 (0) 30 915 88 620 right when it opened, got a live agent in 10 seconds, and they said they could assign me any of the free-of-charge seats over the phone, and said there were many open. I could never find any seat map to look at, but at least they got me an aisle in the front half. The agent told me that if I wanted any premium seat like row 41 or for any potential upgrade, that I could call Finnair directly, since I would have to pay for the seat through Finnair as the operating carrier. I'll try that later too for curiosity, and at least see what they're offering and at what price.

edit: Well, after calling Finnair, and sitting on hold forever while a supervisor tried to find my reservation via eticket# and all booking codes, they determined that Finnair has no passenger reservation access for 4Y flights, and said nothing more I can do until the airport check in. This Eurowings Discover setup sure is a convoluted mess...

Finnair cannot have any reference to this booking as it is not a Finnair flight, it is a wet lease to LH/4Y. This also explains why you cannot book seats in advance probably, as LH has not reflected the seating layout of this (for LH) unique aircraft in their system, as it‘s only a temporary wet lease, and the costs would not justify it. The layout of the AY 350 will not be the same as the LH 350, which is reflected in the system, but hence cannot be used.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:40 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by 59Impala
. Quite something for *A to get help from 1W. They really must be in serious trouble.
Why You think someone in trouble?

4Y needed capacity and AY offered it, nothing to with alliances.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:58 am
formerly a193991

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Why You think someone in trouble?

4Y needed capacity and AY offered it, nothing to with alliances.
you only request help from a biggest competitor (1W in this case) if you are really desperate and in dire straights. What LHG is experiencing now confirms this.

also, the AY hard product in the 359 is in my opinion superior to LH, and definitely better than 4Y. So it is pretty risky for LH to offer a better product.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 11:22 am

you only request help from a biggest competitor (1W in this case) if you are really desperate and in dire straights.
No. It‘s a normal business decision. 4Y needs capacity, AY has spare capacity they want to sell on the market. Contract concluded… And btw, why is 4Y desperate? Using your logic, AY is desperate as they are selling capacity to their biggest competitor…
Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I would think SkyTeam in general and AFKL in particular is a lot bigger competitor to LH Group than OW/AY.

And yes, it's tragicomical that all the wetleases and order takeovers that LHg do come with better hardware than LH itself has, in J anyway, but then you'd be hard pressed to find anything on the market that is not better than LH offering... Maybe the 777s from EK that still fly with 2-3-2 recliners...
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:03 pm

you only request help from a biggest competitor (1W in this case) if you are really desperate and in dire straights.
4Y and AY (not 1W) have made a contract with each other based on purely rational decisions. 4Y needs capacity, AY has lots of spare capacity due to the closed Russian airspace. It's purely economical and to both side's advantage.

also, the AY hard product in the 359 is in my opinion superior to LH, and definitely better than 4Y. So it is pretty risky for LH to offer a better product.
You don't seem to know what you're talking about, as the hard product on LH and 4Y is identical.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by FollowTheSun
You don't seem to know what you're talking about, as the hard product on LH and 4Y is identical.
In what class of service? The business cabin on AY A359 is leagues ahead of LH A359...
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
In what class of service? The business cabin on AY A359 is leagues ahead of LH A359...
Suggest you read and understand before you comment.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:28 pm

Suggest you read and understand before you comment.
The post that you replied to stated that AY (which is contracting to 4Y) has a better cabin than 4Y, which you correctly identified as being the same as LH's hardware. No one in this thread except you cares about 4Y vs LH. They are both sub-par, and almost everyone would agree that it is risky of LH (through 4Y) to offer a better temporary product via wet lease than their own aircraft.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:38 pm
formerly a193991

Originally Posted by curt
No. It‘s a normal business decision. 4Y needs capacity, AY has spare capacity they want to sell on the market. Contract concluded… And btw, why is 4Y desperate? Using your logic, AY is desperate as they are selling capacity to their biggest competitor…
of course it is normal business, but going to your competitor is the last refuge.
and yes, AY may be desperate, too. But this is the LH forum, not AY.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:40 pm
formerly a193991

4Y and AY (not 1W) have made a contract with each other based on purely rational decisions. 4Y needs capacity, AY has lots of spare capacity due to the closed Russian airspace. It's purely economical and to both side's advantage.

i think you should read my posts better I never said that LH and 4Y products are different.

and yes, I do know what I am talking about, having worked 3 decades in the airline industry.
I will end my comments on this topic.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:10 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
and yes, I do know what I am talking about, having worked 3 decades in the airline industry.
I will end my comments on this topic.
The idea you seem to have that AY is the biggest competitor to LH does not give much credence to that.
FollowTheSun likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 1:29 pm
formerly a193991

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
The idea you seem to have that AY is the biggest competitor to LH does not give much credence to that.

you don‘t seem to know how to read my posts. Where have I said AY is the biggest competitor? Read again.

you only request help from a biggest competitor (1W in this case) if you are really desperate and in dire straights. What LHG is experiencing now confirms this.

I see 1W far superior to Skyteam and hence the bigger competitor for *A.

so, definitely no longer commenting on this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.