FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   4Y/LH Leasing Finnair A359 to operate to MCO/PHL/TPA in Winter 22/23 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/2079965-4y-lh-leasing-finnair-a359-operate-mco-phl-tpa-winter-22-23-a.html)

connlach Apr 15, 2022 12:18 pm

4Y/LH Leasing Finnair A359 to operate to MCO/PHL/TPA in Winter 22/23

I have continued to try and figure out why eurowings flights to Tampa are no longer available in may and this story explains why. Suggests my return flight from Tampa may operate on 20th may but still no idea what is happening with flight out on 2nd may. It is showing under a Lufthansa code on my booking but it's not possible to book seats or do anything with the flight.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/euro...innair-planes/

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...42383601e6.png

oliver2002 Apr 25, 2022 6:52 am

The A359 or A330 of AY should have better hardware than the 4Y A330. But a BT A223 should be roughly the same as a 4Y/LH A320?

flyingfkb Apr 26, 2022 6:21 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 34194423)
The A359 or A330 of AY should have better hardware than the 4Y A330. But a BT A223 should be roughly the same as a 4Y/LH A320?

Maybe but the product inconsistency is growing and makes it more and more confusing for the traveler.

TT-Jones Apr 30, 2022 4:26 pm

With the AY A359 supposedly coming to Munich to operate EW MUC-LAS wet lease this summer, I am wondering if anyone here has insights regarding the following:

I have friends holding Premium Economy bookings on those flights this summer. On the originally scheduled EW A333 this looked like a pretty decent hard product for a leisure carrier.
Now the AY A359 seem to have not the same level of hard product, but rather a standard economy seat with 3 inches more legroom, but effectively this does not really scream Premium. It's Eco standard.
Does anyone know of EW is planning to call this pretty non-premium hard product still Premium Eco after all?
​​​​

oliver2002 May 1, 2022 12:16 am

AY has A359 with their new C and a real PE product. It looks like 4Y is leasing those…

TT-Jones May 1, 2022 2:48 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 34210791)
AY has A359 with their new C and a real PE product. It looks like 4Y is leasing those…

Now that would be awesome. I read that they want to be offering those retrofitted cabins to their own customers starting in May, and that currently there are only 2.planes converted. So my simple math was: Wet lease starting in May therefore must be the old-cabin-359s.
​​​​​

oliver2002 May 1, 2022 3:21 am

The German version to dispell any ambiguity:

Eurowings Discover hat außerdem Finnair (AY) als neuen Wetlease-Partner für die Lufthansa Group gewinnen können. Finnair wird zunächst mit zwei Airbus A350 ab Frankfurt und München Langstreckenflüge für Eurowings Discover durchführen. Im Juni kommt ein weiterer Airbus A350 hinzu. Die drei Flugzeuge werden im Zeitraum von Mitte Mai bis Oktober u.a. auf den Strecken Frankfurt-Tampa und Frankfurt-Las Vegas bzw. München-Las Vegas eingesetzt.

Die Dreiklassen-Kabinenkonfiguration mit Economy, Premium Economy und Business Class bietet Eurowings Discover ihren Gästen auch an Bord von Finnair an. Das Bordprodukt auf den Wetlease-Flügen entspricht ebenfalls der Essen- und Getränkeauswahl an Bord der Eurowings Discover Langstrecke. “Wir freuen uns, mit Finnair einen starken Wetlease-Partner für die Lufthansa Group gewonnen zu haben. Die Zusammenarbeit mit Finnair gestaltet sich sehr konstruktiv, sodass wir in Rekordzeit von nur wenigen Wochen die Wetlease-Vereinbarung aufsetzen konnten. Mit der Lufthansa Group im Rücken, unserer hoch motivierten Crew und starken Wetlease-Partnern an der Seite, sehen wir uns nun für unseren ersten „richtigen“ Sommer gut vorbereitet und freuen uns darauf, die Menschen in den Urlaub zu fliegen,“ sagt Helmut Wölfel, Chief Commercial Officer (CCO) bei Eurowings Discover.

TT-Jones May 1, 2022 5:01 am

Thanks a mill, Oliver!

My worry is that they will just cram the premium eco label on the old AY on-board product, but your sources make me at least very hopeful that I am wrong!

FlyerTalkUserName May 10, 2022 8:50 am

OMAAT saying the AY A350 J mini-cabin will be sold as W. I can’t find any fares filed yet, but that could be an incredible deal for a lie-flat.

sfo May 17, 2022 11:16 am

YYC FRA

I was looking at award miles with UA. Up until now, I was able to book an award from YYC to Fra with Eurowings Discovery which is the low cost airline of LH

Apparently there has been a change, and the flight is operated by AY, it is an A350-900 aircraft. I have read reviews about this aircraft, service etc, many of the reviews are very negative, I would like to get some opinions from the frequent flyers on whether I should use AY. It would be in business class. Thanks

florens May 17, 2022 11:18 am

Eurowings Discovery use AY's A350 only on LAS-FRA/MUC and TPA-FRA as far as I know.

In any case as this will be a Eurowings Discovery flight, not sure how useful the information given by Finnair frequent flyers will be.

Regarding the hard product, there is a dedicated thread about the A350.

sfo May 17, 2022 12:32 pm

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I realize that it did use that aircarft type but it was listed as a Eurowings flight, It is now listed as AY73. It is not listed on AY webiste, nor listed on Matrix if you check there, the flight is not listed on Eurowings website. It is listed on the UA awards travel website. I called UA and they told me that it is marked by UA. The flight is AC to YYC and FY to FRA. What I am concerned about is service etc. as I will not fly with Eurowings.

florens May 17, 2022 12:37 pm

AY73 is HEL-NRT.

OH-LGG May 17, 2022 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by sfo (Post 34257971)
It is now listed as AY73.

Check again. You are now mixing AY73 and 4Y73.

mashlakito May 18, 2022 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by sfo (Post 34257726)
I was looking at award miles with UA. Up until now, I was able to book an award from YYC to Fra with Eurowings Discovery which is the low cost airline of LH

Apparently there has been a change, and the flight is operated by AY, it is an A350-900 aircraft. I have read reviews about this aircraft, service etc, many of the reviews are very negative, I would like to get some opinions from the frequent flyers on whether I should use AY. It would be in business class. Thanks

I am surprised to hear that you have read so many negative reviews about the A350-900 aircraft. Is it specifically the aircraft or Finnair itself?

I am also looking at FRA-YYC-FRA with Eurowings. It seems that the hardware will be Finnair product with Finnair crew. I have read that could be a blessing since Eurowings Discover crew seem to be young and inexperienced with dealing with business class, albeit super friendly. So having Finnair crew that's experienced could be a positive if you are looking for on-board service. Also people seem to favour Finnair A359 to Eurowings A330 (original planned hardware to fly this route). As far as meal service on-board, it would seem that it will be LH (Eurowings) offerings and not Finnair. As far as lounge access in YYC, totally unclear as this route is only served by Eurowings (LH) starting in August so I guess time will tell.