Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Bid for upgrade vs United Plus Points upgrade, which has the better odds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

My parents are flying MIA-FRA with LH, their ticket is in H class.
I already requested an upgrade for them using United Plus Points which is where 'I' class is required but currently zeroed out, I can also bid for upgrade starting at 525 USD per passenger for business class or 170 USD for PE.
  • The flight currently show F2 A2 J9 C9 D9 Z9 P1 G9 E0 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S2 T0 L0 K0 about 10 days prior to departure
  • My parents have no status
  • They are currently flying economy, if I bid for PE, does it impact my chances for the Plus Points upgrade to business class?
  • Are 'bid for upgrades' processed before [size=13px]upgrades[/size] to 'I'?
  • Are 'bid for upgrades' conflict with the request to upgrade to I which is currently show as waitlisted or can I use both to increase my chances?

Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2022, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Flight now shows: F2 A2 J9 C9 D9 Z9 P2 G9 E0 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S0 T0 L0 K0
What do you experts think? Better chances with Bid for Upgrade vs United Plus Points?
Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
PP is better. Plusgrade gets N or P inventory to upgrades at 48 h before flight. PP upgrades stay in queue till the gate starts boarding and if there is space they will get the upgrades.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
PP is better. Plusgrade gets N or P inventory to upgrades at 48 h before flight. PP upgrades stay in queue till the gate starts boarding and if there is space they will get the upgrades.
Thanks for responding, but can you please clarify? you are saying PlusPoints has better odds over Bid for Upgrade?
Would it hurt trying a combination of both?
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Yes, don’t combine it.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Yes, don’t combine it.
what do you think happens if I combine? I placed a bid before fully understanding your view, so now it says waitlisted for I and there’s a bid pending, which I can cancel easily tho.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:48 pm

The PE upgrade will clear and the PP waitlist goes away. Not really something I would do for my parents.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 6:19 am
Original Poster

The PE upgrade will clear and the PP waitlist goes away. Not really something I would do for my parents.
When you say PE, do you refer to Premium Economy? I’m a bit confused.. please clarify:

- PlusPoints upgrade in effect to I
- Bid for Upgrade (to business as well) is in effect, which I can cancel if you don’t think it’s a good idea to combine it with PlusPoints.

in this scenario how does “PE upgrade will clear and the PP waitlist goes away”?

Last edited by justsawaufo; Apr 8, 2022 at 6:29 am
Old Apr 8, 2022, 7:17 am

What Oliver meant:

If you bid PlusGrade to upgrade vom Economy Premium Economy and waitlist with Plus Points from Economy to Business, chances are, that the PlusGrade upgrade to Premium Economy will clear which will then cancel the upgrade to Business requested with Plus Points. So the chances to end up in Business are actually lower than go for Business only. With the J booking classes wide open, changes are not that bad to get the Plus Point upgrade to Business. B
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
What Oliver meant:

If you bid PlusGrade to upgrade vom Economy Premium Economy and waitlist with Plus Points from Economy to Business, chances are, that the PlusGrade upgrade to Premium Economy will clear which will then cancel the upgrade to Business requested with Plus Points. So the chances to end up in Business are actually lower than go for Business only. With the J booking classes wide open, changes are not that bad to get the Plus Point upgrade to Business. B
Thanks for clarifying!
My situation is a bit different, and maybe I confused everyone so I apologize for that.
  • I applied for upgrade using PlusPoints to business (currently waitlisted)
  • I also placed a Bid for Upgrade to business

I think that by combining the two (bid+pluspoints), I'm increasing the chances - right?
the upgrade can be cleared to ANY open seats at t-72 hours or 'I' prior to that, does it make sense?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Follow up:
  • Bid for upgrade MIA-FRA for 3 at $650 each declined
  • PlusPoints upgrade cleared at t-72
  • it seems like PP have an advantage over Bid for Upgrade
Old Aug 26, 2022, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by justsawaufo
Hi All,

My parents are flying MIA-FRA with LH, their ticket is in H class.
I already requested an upgrade for them using United Plus Points which is where 'I' class is required but currently zeroed out, I can also bid for upgrade starting at 525 USD per passenger for business class or 170 USD for PE.
Stumbled upon your post. You mentioned applying your plus points for your parents LH flight.
I am planning to purchase an LH ticket via LH (it gets me more PQPs for my attempt at status) I mentioned my trip plans to my friend and he offered to gift me plus points for a try at an upgrade.
Were your parents flying on an LH issued ticket? If yes, were you able to apply your plus points to your parents LH reservation easily?
I can’t find info if it is possible to gift plus points for an LH issued flight.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:49 am

If there are N or P inventory to upgrade at 48h before flight (and the bid is enough), wouldn't Plusgrade be better than PP because having N or P doesn't necessarily mean there is I (maybe it is?). I guess PP is better if the bid was not accepted and PP will go to the gate.

Have a PP upgrade pending but say that I can also bid for an upcoming flight.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by mswheeler
Stumbled upon your post. You mentioned applying your plus points for your parents LH flight.
I am planning to purchase an LH ticket via LH (it gets me more PQPs for my attempt at status) I mentioned my trip plans to my friend and he offered to gift me plus points for a try at an upgrade.
Were your parents flying on an LH issued ticket? If yes, were you able to apply your plus points to your parents LH reservation easily?
I can’t find info if it is possible to gift plus points for an LH issued flight.

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.