Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does LH calculate fare difference for a flight change?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
How does LH calculate fare difference for a flight change?

I booked a return fare BHX-FRA-BRE in S class and flew out OK. I finished work a bit early so went into BRE to ask about changing my flight to do the return leg tonight instead of tomorrow. I get that LH charges the fare difference and a fee, but I was quote EUR220 to move my flight up by one day. I can't justify that so I'm happily sat with a steak and a beer while I do my emails.

I did look up fares on the LH website and the one way fare for same day BRE-FRA-BHX is predictably high (EUR850 or so), but since my booking is a return I looked up a return fare BRE-FRA-BHX leaving today and returning a week hence and that came in at EUR230, and this is what baffles me. How did LH come up with a fee of EUR220 when a new ticket with two additional legs only costs EUR10 more than that?

This isn't a complaint, BTW. I am more than happy to have a day of peace and quiet in a hotel room instead of the raging cacophony that is my kids on Easter holiday. I just don't get the pricing structure.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
I believe it gets repriced to full flex, whereas the website shows the cheapest available options
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by chris63
I believe it gets repriced to full flex, whereas the website shows the cheapest available options
Ahhhh. So I'm not staying in the same fare class but upgrading to full fare Y?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by roberino
Yes, it’s something like that
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by roberino
No. You most probably were not upgraded to a full fare Y. That would have been much more expensive. You probably were booked into H or M. You can check out on you eteix receipt. It should be updated, as a new etix should have been issued reflecting the changed return date.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by athome
No. You most probably were not upgraded to a full fare Y. That would have been much more expensive. You probably were booked into H or M. You can check out on you eteix receipt. It should be updated, as a new etix should have been issued reflecting the changed return date.
I didn't buy it, so can't do that. Thanks for the info though.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
I checked out., you would have been booked into M. Y would have been another 175 Euros.
roberino likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:37 am

You can't compare the pricing of an BHX-BRE-BHX with an BRE-BHX-BRE ticket one to one. The POC is relevant.
roberino likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: LH HON
Plus your 220 also include a change fee in addition to fare difference
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by athome
You can't compare the pricing of an BHX-BRE-BHX with an BRE-BHX-BRE ticket one to one. The POC is relevant.
Hadn't considered that. Good point.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: LH SEN
If it was an Eco Classic fare, the pure fare difference is calculated, if it was Eco Light it's a 35€ change fee plus the fare difference. Usually it books into the lowest available booking class which is open on both segments (e.g. if S is open on BRE-FRA, but only M is open on FRA-BHX, both will book into M), which so close to departure may very well have been M as other posters have said.
roberino likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.