Search

Question re: bidding for upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2022, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Question re: bidding for upgrade

I have a PE ticket (EWR-FRA) that I can upgrade to Biz for $439. I can also bid for an upgrade. Is there a sweet spot where I am almost certain to get the upgrade while bidding less than the $439? If my bid is rejected at the 72-hour mark, is it likely that the upgrade will still be offered at $439?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bump.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 11:06 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by vasantn
I have a PE ticket (EWR-FRA) that I can upgrade to Biz for $439. I can also bid for an upgrade. Is there a sweet spot where I am almost certain to get the upgrade while bidding less than the $439?
It depends on the load factor for the flight. If there is plenty of P or Z availability, a low-ish bid has more of a chance

If my bid is rejected at the 72-hour mark, is it likely that the upgrade will still be offered at $439?
That upgrade price is typical while there is P space available. It's possible it might still be there but more likely is that P is zeroed that close in and the fixed price upgrade is higher.

There is also a whole thread on bid upgrading https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...de-pe-c-f.html
vasantn likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by supine
It depends on the load factor for the flight. If there is plenty of P or Z availability, a low-ish bid has more of a chance
By low-ish do you mean $200? $300?

Also, are the bids ever accepted prior to T-72 hours?
Originally Posted by supine
There is also a whole thread on bid upgrading https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...de-pe-c-f.html
Thanks for the link. I'm an infrequent visitor here so if a master thread is not on the first page, I don't know that it exists. I did try searching but I must have used the wrong terms.

Last edited by vasantn; Jan 16, 2022 at 11:51 pm
Old Jan 17, 2022, 12:37 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by vasantn
By low-ish do you mean $200? $300?

Also, are the bids ever accepted prior to T-72 hours?
Thanks for the link. I'm an infrequent visitor here so if a master thread is not on the first page, I don't know that it exists. I did try searching but I must have used the wrong terms.
There is no way you will get a PE to C as low as 200 dollars even if the plane is empty. The bid price usually tends to be a bit lower around 100 dollars.
vasantn likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 12:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The bid price minimum never changes. The fixed price upgrade varies with the availability of the lower booking classes in the cabin you want to be in. Closer to the departure the availability vanishes, so the fixed price will go up. At 72h you will no longer see cheap fixed price upgrades since P will be zeroed out, unless the C cabin is very very empty.
vasantn likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ermis177
There is no way you will get a PE to C as low as 200 dollars even if the plane is empty. The bid price usually tends to be a bit lower around 100 dollars.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The bid price minimum never changes. The fixed price upgrade varies with the availability of the lower booking classes in the cabin you want to be in. Closer to the departure the availability vanishes, so the fixed price will go up. At 72h you will no longer see cheap fixed price upgrades since P will be zeroed out, unless the C cabin is very very empty.
Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.