Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All Status expiring February 2022 extended to February 2023

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:00 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Concerto
I wouldn't worry about the new system being implemented in the immediate future. I was very much of the understanding that it had been abandoned for good. Being able to enjoy the status for 2 years is a unique and real selling point for this FFP. Let's face it, there's not an awful lot left to rave about with M&M so if they've got one real big selling point, that can only lead to their benefit in the long run. (Another positive element, IMO, is the fact that the executive bonus counts as qualifying)
I'd argue that the two year status period is more than counteracted by the fact that the qualification criteria is close to twice as tough as any other *G in the region.
chris63 and yurtripper like this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I'm looking at it from the point of view of FTL, which satisfies my needs currently. It's usually not to difficult too achieve 30 segments in a year, although this year I am trying to do it using the status miles promotion. Reason is, I want to concentrate on AFKL Platinum and the fact is I don't need to fly as much as I did before at the moment.

Last edited by Concerto; Aug 18, 2021 at 6:49 am Reason: grammar
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: LH SEN
Hi Oliver, can you clarify if this status extension will be given to US based SEN as well? I have not gotten any communication from the MM team.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
Sorry I didn’t actually mean it as an insult.

I think your LTV to the airline is still too low. You buy maybe one highly expensive ticket for LHG per year, so they should show you loyalty?

1) It sounds like it would be one because of its two or more, you’d likely be a senator.
2) is it that expensive or profitable for the airline that you buy this ticket? Presumably the reason you don’t chase status is that you care more about pricing/schedule, in which case you probably bought the “cheapest” F ticket you could find.
3) even if we said “ok NYC1 is a highly valued customer,” I’m willing to bet that your situation among M&M blue members represents maybe 2% of that class pool? For the remaining 98% I just don’t think LTV is worth it for the cost.

also if you cared that much about miles expiring you could get the M&M credit card, which itself gives bonus miles. I was M&M blue from 2011-2016 and never had miles expire.
I didn’t take it as such so no problem.

I have stopped chasing, or even mildly trying to, achieve status with airlines a long time ago because 1) scheduling/convenience is #1 for me and I don’t want to sacrifice that and fall into their trap, 2) I felt the benefits aren’t really useful to me (because of flying J/F anyway) and 3) I figured this loyalty thing isn’t a two-way street (as all you HONs have been experiencing the last 1.5 yrs).

You make some fair points, but at the same time it doesn’t cost them anything to not let the miles expire, it’s temporary and they might actually get some good will. But of course, consistent with LHG approach, I’m not surprised that M&M takes the least passenger-friendly approach of all programs (that I know). It’s just annoying to have miles earned expire.

I’m just glad I’m not their captive by living close to their hubs.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by akaza1
Hi Oliver, can you clarify if this status extension will be given to US based SEN as well? I have not gotten any communication from the MM team.
The extension is for all, no discrimination by country of residence.
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by akaza1
M&M is a global program, doesn’t matter where your based, status qualification is the same, so of course your SEN status will be extended for another Year, if you need that
Old Aug 17, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by chris63
M&M is a global program, doesn’t matter where your based, status qualification is the same, so of course your SEN status will be extended for another Year, if you need that
Not too long ago the SEN qualification threshold was higher for Germany-based M&M members.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 2:53 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Concerto
I'm looking at it from the point of view of FTL, which satisfies my needs currently. It's usually not to difficult to achieve 30 segments in a year, although this year I am trying to do it using the status miles promotion. Reason is, I want to concentrate on AFKL Platinum and the fact is I don't need to fly as much as I did before at the moment.
Yes, FTL is the sweetspot for me also. Still it's broadly comparable to ST E+ segment based qualification in e.g. OK Plus or old Flying Blue.

To be fair to M&M, FTL is quite a strong Silver level. Lounges in hubs, free bag if not in LHg Light fare... at least with M&M integrated airlines it's pretty good, and that's also the reason that I do try and maintain it.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
You just summed it up for me in a nutshell.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 12:33 pm

as they posted today again there is no other info as they posted yesterday regarding extension till 2023 FTL status, so I think is better to prolong status in 2022 due that then you will have a status till February 2025 and if you will do it now you will prolonged for 1 year but summarize that LH will you one year till 2023 then your prolongation add you only 1 year so Feb 2024.......

Last edited by raiders30; Aug 18, 2021 at 12:39 pm
Old Aug 18, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Thanks Swiss (Lufthansa), appreciate the gesture. I may or may not have made it till the end of the year. Basically depends upon the US opening up or not.

What I didn't see mentioned (or maybe overlooked) is how qualification will work for the subsequent years. Currently they count HON miles from three years, 2019-2021, to requalify. With the extension, will they add a fourth year to requalify?

My status ends Feb 2022.
  • I earn >600k HON miles in 2019, 2020 and 2021 >> extension till Feb 2024 >> I have 2022 and 2023 to extend
  • I earn <600k HON miles in 2019, 2020 and 2021 >> extension till Feb 2023 >> which years will count for my subsequent extension? Only 2021 and 2022? Or four years, 2019-2022?
i would say 19/21/22 (19 because those were credited on 1.1.21 again)
Old Aug 18, 2021, 4:02 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Just got the email. So happy! I can now fly economy without caring about renewing.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 4:41 pm

Got the second email as Oliver was expecting, but the news is even better than I could have hoped for. If you renew in 2021, status extension is to 2024. Good on LH because it could have been more complicated with rollovers. I for one am really pleased that giving extra premium biz to LH on my own dime is paying off! Makes me want to continue staying loyal.

Dear XXX,

The world is ever changing. That’s probably the best way to describe the current situation. The mood is optimistic, but restrictions are still in place. This means that you have probably been unable to earn the status miles you need to renew your status.

It is important to us that you continue to be among our valued status customers. We would therefore like to offer you the following goodwill measures:
If you didn’t or don’t manage to renew your status in 2020 or 2021, we will renew your status for one year until February 2023.
If you achieve your status renewal by the end of 2021 as normal, your status will of course remain valid until February 2024.We’ll help you to do so this year with further promotions to reward your flight activities with additional status miles.
The validity of your status will be adjusted automatically until the beginning of February 2022.

Your current eVouchers will also remain valid during the coming year. You can use them until 31.12.2022.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 4:48 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
A little irritated. I requalified for HON so my status already lasts until February 2024. Essentially this good will gesture doesn’t really change the status quo (at least as far as my situation is concerned).
Old Aug 18, 2021, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
"The validity of your status will be adjusted automatically until the beginning of February 2022."

This threw me a little. But I'm guessing we should read until in the sense of before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.