Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Face Masks and Toddlers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2021, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Melodsal
Coming back to the subject of the thread - anyone with more recent experiences (especially from/to USA) with toddlers? We’re traveling next month with one that is just past 2 and completely non compliant when it comes to masks.
Are they also non compliant when it comes to wearing pants? Or a shirt? If not, then treat the mask the same as any other piece of clothing that they must wear when being out in public. Rather than looking for ways to get around the rule, start working with your child now. They are non compliant because you allow them to be. They know they need to wear clothes, the mask should be just one more article of clothing that is required when getting on a plane. Would you let them get away with telling you they refuse to wear clothes on the plane?
Fabo.sk and Beltway2A like this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
Are they also non compliant when it comes to wearing pants? Or a shirt? If not, then treat the mask the same as any other piece of clothing that they must wear when being out in public. Rather than looking for ways to get around the rule, start working with your child now. They are non compliant because you allow them to be. They know they need to wear clothes, the mask should be just one more article of clothing that is required when getting on a plane. Would you let them get away with telling you they refuse to wear clothes on the plane?
You should see my toddler- clothes are very much optional half the time, especially when he’s having a tantrum.
gnaget likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 7:34 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
You should see my toddler- clothes are very much optional half the time, especially when he’s having a tantrum.
Lol, well I guess you have a problem then. I hope he grows out of it before he starts school. But all joking aside, I am sure you insist on clothes when you take him out in public. Make the mask just another piece of clothing that is not negotiable if he wants to go out. If you start now, it will be normal by the time you fly.
MSPeconomist and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Coming back to the subject of the thread - anyone with more recent experiences (especially from/to USA) with toddlers? We’re traveling next month with one that is just past 2 and completely non compliant when it comes to masks.
As mentioned above, I would avoid Lufthansa. They are now the only airline (I suppose in addition to the US airlines, which I would avoid at all costs) that enforces it FROM the US. It always depends on the purser and the one I got would have been a nightmare in normal circumstances. The mentality of "ze rules" and [redacted]

Fly SAS. They won't enforce it in either direction for under 6. Not sure about AF and BA, but they listed 11 as the age requirement for wearing a mask, so they might also be better options.

Last edited by oliver2002; Sep 30, 2021 at 1:42 am Reason: FT Rule 16 https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules#offensive
Old Sep 30, 2021, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Children are one of the few groups still universally excluded from vaccine programmes. As soon as the vaccines are approved in the 2-5 age category, then the 0-2, plus boosters are rolled out for all other groups, perhaps masks might be history and these threads can rightly be put to bed.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:33 am

Programs: UA *G MM
So, in summary, I had good experiences flying LX, TK and FJ longhaul with kids, not being hassled about masks and then same was true for adults being able to keep them off for long periods. The only horror show was LH, which should be avoided at all costs and is now on my full boycott list. I got a horrible purser, which would have been just a "bad" flight under normal circumstances but it become a flight from hell thanks to "Ilse the shewolf".

I should add that LX (Swiss) was really nice. We came armed with doctor's notes for both kids since the flight was to the US but it had a very professional and friendly purser and very nice staff in general. The leader sets the tone. I should add that we were in business class, so not sure if it would be as easygoing in eco. It's unfortunate that LX is in LH Group. Note that Switzerland requires masks from age 12 and the same policy on board, but the exception is supposedly flights to the US. Honestly, I think this is a stupid interpretation by a bureaucrat at LH Group since other airlines do not demand this. E.g., Swiss does not set the age to 6 for a flight to FRA because that is the German standard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.