Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Direct turnaround from the US in FRA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2021, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Exec, LH Senator
Covid19: Direct turnaround from the US in FRA

Is it possible to fly Lufthansa from USA and return same day to USA without passport control/security/covid testing?
Old Feb 19, 2021, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by brintmd
Is it possible to fly Lufthansa from USA and return same day to USA without passport control/security/covid testing?
Unless you are admissible to Germany, no, you can't do a B2B at Germany.

Even if you are admissible, you would need a COVID test, but you wouldn't need to reclear security or clear passport control in FRA.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 6:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Before bringing you to Germany LH has to do a Visa and Health check to verify your eligibility to come to the EU/Germany. Since you would fail both they will offload you from the flight and you can't leave the US.
okazon69 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if you were able to get to FRA you would still a covid test to return to the US.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Short answer is no. Unless you are permitted to enter Germany currently (resident or citizen) you would be denied boarding in the US. What would be the point anyway?
Often1 and etiene like this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
No way!
Old Feb 19, 2021, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by TomMM
Even if you were able to get to FRA you would still a covid test to return to the US.
Ignoring all the other problems with this plan why couldn't he use the same covid test if it was within the 72 hour window?
"...present a negative COVID-19 test, taken within three (3) calendar days of departure​.."
Old Feb 19, 2021, 10:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Slickw
Ignoring all the other problems with this plan why couldn't he use the same covid test if it was within the 72 hour window?
"...present a negative COVID-19 test, taken within three (3) calendar days of departure​.."
He probably could, but he would not be able to put himself in that position.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What would be the point anyway?
Haha
as a passerby reader I didn’t expect an Evangelist would ask such a question
What makes ALL of us read and post on here?
The greed for Flying
let’s not flat lie, let’s lie flat
most -if not all- of us would love to sit on a J or F throne, sip some bubbles and do it again in the opposite direction for some 20 hours, like in the good ol’ days...
Brandinho1 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Without knowing your citizenship & residency, it is impossible to answer. You list MSY as your location, leading me to believe that you are at least a US resident if not citizen.

Yes, an appropriate Covid test obtained pre-departure in the US could be used both for entry to Germany and then to board and return to the US.

As with all international travel, have you run your details through TIMATIC?
Old Apr 4, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1
OP - Without knowing your citizenship & residency, it is impossible to answer. You list MSY as your location, leading me to believe that you are at least a US resident if not citizen.

Yes, an appropriate Covid test obtained pre-departure in the US could be used both for entry to Germany and then to board and return to the US.

As with all international travel, have you run your details through TIMATIC?
Not only do you need to run it through TIMATIC you also have to assume the ticket agents have common sense. I did 26 same day return from LAX-NRT Aug-Dec 2020 and was denied boarding 6 times because the ticket agents at LAX couldn't read. It clearly read as ok to do but some agents were dead set that I have to clear customs and immigration when I land at NRT which is never the case for transiting passengers. United in Narita and supervisors in Chicago all confirmed I was allowed to do this but some agents wouldn't budge and wouldn't print my boarding pass.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 10:55 am
Suspended

Ok, but now you would be denied boarding because OP is not admissible to Germany.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Ok, but now you would be denied boarding because OP is not admissible to Germany.
The difficult thing is that we do not know if he is not allowed, or if he is just not willing to enter Germany! I think it would be possible to land at FRA and not use immigration, but if I remember correctly you would definitely need to clear security. So as far as I understand:
- Covid test from US would be ok if it is still in <72 hour window
- yes, it is possible to do without immigration
- no, you cannot avoid security

So, if I understand correctly, the real question is: what exactly are you planning, and what is your situation (passports, etc). If you only want to avoid security/immigration to save time, you might be ok (there is a security fast lane).
If, however, you are not allowed to immigrate, you might not be able to board the flight, even if you wouldnt need to immigrate. You wouldnt need to, but as you wouldnt be allowed to, you wouldnt be allowed to fly at all.

Is this also the understanding of others?
Old Apr 4, 2021, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Unless OP is admissible to Germany this plan won’t work.
Often1 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SebFra
The difficult thing is that we do not know if he is not allowed, or if he is just not willing to enter Germany! I think it would be possible to land at FRA and not use immigration, but if I remember correctly you would definitely need to clear security. So as far as I understand:
- Covid test from US would be ok if it is still in <72 hour window
- yes, it is possible to do without immigration
- no, you cannot avoid security

So, if I understand correctly, the real question is: what exactly are you planning, and what is your situation (passports, etc). If you only want to avoid security/immigration to save time, you might be ok (there is a security fast lane).
If, however, you are not allowed to immigrate, you might not be able to board the flight, even if you wouldnt need to immigrate. You wouldnt need to, but as you wouldnt be allowed to, you wouldnt be allowed to fly at all.

Is this also the understanding of others?
Generally, US flights arrive to Z gates and to depart from Z gates the passenger doesn't need to reclear security if he is admissible to enter Germany and willing to do this back-to-back.
The only case he could not avoid security would be if his aircraft parks at a B gate which doesn't happen that often for US arrivals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.