Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Negative test for transit ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2021, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Negative test for transit ?

Hello I have a flight Oslo to mexico via Frankfurt with 5 hours connection time.do i need a negative covid test result for this? If so if its 48 hours is that 48 hours up to the check in time in oslo or the arrival time in Frankfurt? Thanks alot
Old Jan 23, 2021, 11:58 pm
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/e...lt/coronavirus

That link is in English. The interesting section for you is:

Those in transit from high-incidence areas and other risk areas are exempt from registration, testing and quarantine requirements under certain circumstances. This includes transit through a risk area without a stopover prior to entering Germany as well as transit through Germany via the fastest route, e.g. with a confirmed onward flight to a third country.“

Oslo is considered a high-incident area according to this page (in German) - https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/R...herheit/205878

My overall reading of the first link mentioned is that you will not have to do anything. From a rules perspective you should not leave the airport since you are in transit and need to stay on the most direct path to the third country (Mexico). In the end the rules will mostly be enforced by the airlines - I recommend you place a quick call to your airline to make sure you are prepared.

I hope that helps. Enjoy your flight!
Newbtravelle likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 5:08 am
Original Poster

i cannot believe how hard it is to get an answer to such an importat question. Thank you so much ! but still i cant be sure. i assume calling them will take 2 days , but i will try it thank you !!
Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is nobody (reliable) to call. The only places you should rely on are either German government website (not anything from a travel provider such as an air carrier) or TIMATIC (which is what your carrier's check-in personel will rely on at check-in.

Then recheck these closer to the date of travel and then again on the date of travel. These requirements change quickly.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:17 am

According to Lufthansa. Entering Germany, in case of passengers arriving both from risk areas and high risk areas, transit / transfer in Germany (Schengen/Non-Schengen) is possible without test and DEA (table "Overview of entry regulations for passengers arriving in Germany").
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:56 am

You need to be aware that Norway changed its quarantine requirements applying from midnight tonight (24/1). You now need a test that’s taken less than 24hrs in advance so best you can probably do is to get an electronic certificate.

https://www.regjeringen.no/en/aktuel...ion/id2829765/

Apologies - misread. See you’re going to MEX - however it may apply on your return so leaving here for others knowledge.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
You need to be aware that Norway changed its quarantine requirements applying from midnight tonight (24/1). You now need a test that’s taken less than 24hrs in advance so best you can probably do is to get an electronic certificate.

https://www.regjeringen.no/en/aktuel...ion/id2829765/

Apologies - misread. See you’re going to MEX - however it may apply on your return so leaving here for others knowledge.
Useful in any event because it demonstrates that requirements change routinely and on short notice. Keep checking the requirements, including before you leave for the airport.

As to a test, it seems only prudent to do one pre-departure whether it is required or not. Do you really want to arrive in Mexico and find that you are seriously ill and may not be able to travel for months? Even with a mild case, it is a matter of isolation and being close to home with a support network can make this all the more manageable. If one is really ill and hospitalized even more pointed need.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 4:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Often1
There is nobody (reliable) to call. The only places you should rely on are either German government website (not anything from a travel provider such as an air carrier) or TIMATIC (which is what your carrier's check-in personel will rely on at check-in.

Then recheck these closer to the date of travel and then again on the date of travel. These requirements change quickly.
The Bundespolizei in FRA is the arbiter and enforcer of the new/updated rules. They have an email ID you can write to for clarifying your individual situation: [email protected]

The response can be used to pacify any hyperactive agent at checkin/boarding.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 2:17 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Chris Sutherland
i cannot believe how hard it is to get an answer to such an importat question. Thank you so much ! but still i cant be sure. i assume calling them will take 2 days , but i will try it thank you !!
I agree that this is difficult. I had a situation I mentioned in another thread where the German authorities told me they could not tell me which rules would apply to my situation and recommended I contact a lawyer to determine the answer. In the end I just did the most reasonable thing in my opinion. And apparently I was the only one that cared, since I was never once confronted my any person of authority although I was coming from a high risk country.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I've been looking for this answer as well, specifically US citizen non-Schengen to non-Schengen via germany.
Looking here, US Embassy: https://de.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry?
YES. Starting January 14, mandatory COVID-19 testing is required to enter or transit through Germany, with specific conditions depending on the type of risk area the traveler has visited prior to entering Germany.
However, I think this is wrong.

I found this which I believe is the official law:
https://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/EN/Do...ublicationFile
Section 2 Exemptions from obligation to register
(1) Subject to subsections (3) and (4), section 1 does not apply to persons who
2. are only passing through the Federal Republic of Germany and will be leaving the country by the quickest route to complete their transit,
3. in the context of border traffic, spent less than 24 hours in a risk area or will spend less than 24 hours in the Federal Republic of Germany
Section 4 Exemptions from obligation to undergo testing and provide proof of negative test result
1. Persons to whom an exemption from the obligation to register provided for under section 2 (1) applies
In justified individual cases, the competent authority may, upon application, grant further exemptions where there is valid reason to do so or it may limit the exemptions set out in sentence 1.
(2) Section 3 (2) does not extend to the following incoming passengers from high-incidence areas:
1. Persons who only passed through a high-incidence area without a stopover,
2. Persons who are only passing through the Federal Republic of Germany and will be leaving the country by the quickest route to complete their transit,
I'm not a lawyer, but from reading this, it sounds like transit passengers are exempt

Though there is a newer post that seems to say nothing about exceptions
https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...ublicationFile

TIMATIC also says nothing

It might be best to look at the airline directly since they are the ones who will be checking paperwork.
https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/flight-information.html

Last edited by eng3; Jan 27, 2021 at 1:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.