Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

HON/SEN/*G lounge guest rules to change from 'same day' to 'same flight' in May 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HON/SEN/*G lounge guest rules to change from 'same day' to 'same flight' in May 2021

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I guess the only time I've ever used this benefit it's been via a NSFW location based social networking app for gay men! I'll be disappointed that the benefit has gone, but I guess it's not the end of the world!
Um, what? Hookups in the SEN lounge?
Dave_C, chris63, hugolover and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
So if I'm meeting someone at the airport because we have a connection at the same time, we can't use the lounge together?
What about if we came in on the same inbound flight but are flying out on different outbound flights? (I've had this scenario happen many many times).
hugolover likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Palal
So if I'm meeting someone at the airport because we have a connection at the same time, we can't use the lounge together?
What about if we came in on the same inbound flight but are flying out on different outbound flights? (I've had this scenario happen many many times).
You wouldn’t get lounge access, arrival lounge access is a SEN or HON benefit in LH group lounges
Old Dec 7, 2020, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Um, what? Hookups in the SEN lounge?
That must be the reason for the change, SEN lounges were far more exciting than we thought.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrpete
I don't think it matters how often it happens, what matters is that it's a (further) downgrade of the *G benefits. You get lounge access with another regardless of the flight they are leaving on as a OW Sapphire never mind an Emerald.
Yes & OW elites can use the lounge on arrival, so this puts *A even further behind....
lhrpete, hugolover and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
It’s definitely a smart move. Too much “guesting” in normal times... Has been causing hopelessly overcrowded lounges, particularly the big ones like SEN at FRA.

Hopefully when a form of normality returns there will once again be some exclusivity instead of huge gaggles of friends blocking all the space and consuming everything.
behuman likes this.

Last edited by FlyerLX; Dec 7, 2020 at 10:33 am
Old Dec 7, 2020, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It only follows this is a *A wide change if the operating carrier on the guests flight is billed for the visit. I always suspected it's the operating carrier on the Members flight that is billed for the guest, hence it costs LH money and this is why she stops it. Everything tells me Helga would be delighted if her lounges were packed with pax on Star flights to bill those SDR back.

It would be the case that a Gold pax flying Basia's incredibly premium cabins could guest a pax flying Helga's. That makes things rather complicated. Nothing new for Helga's Mixed Messages like her ecological approach to BOB leading to more plastic waste.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 10:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Valid for all Star Alliance airline lounges worldwide
This is the sentence in the announcement that makes me think this is a *A systemwide move. How would LH be able to instruct a *A partner operating a lounge not to allow a HON/SEN/*G not to allow to guest anyone in particular?

BTW over at VFT and Twitter people are surmising that this will hurt someone who sells lounge access via fb groups. Do you know who is doing this?
Old Dec 7, 2020, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought that's there because it still bills back to the operating carrier. Star lounges are a matter of enhancing the brand, but also lower lounge costs for *A Members.

I would hope lounge access is being sold Pre-Covid! . That is surely a tiny amount, infinitesimally small, I'd bet the eBay sales of Gold and the Chinese photoshops/no name checks are more damaging.

I'm sure it's easy to find out who pays for the guest, the Member's Operating Carrier or the Guest's. It's not exactly Top Secret.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Good move to reduce overcrowding.
How many people guest somebody on a different flight? The majority of lounge guests seem to be solo. Then, you have people guesting +1 or +.5 but they're bound to be on the same flight so no guest on a different flight there, either. Occasionally, people guest a colleague. But I bet more often than not, the colleague is on the same flight.

It's seems extremely optimistic to me to think this will help reduce overcrowding. I mean, what size of an effect do you anticipate?
Old Dec 7, 2020, 12:28 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by FlyerLX
It’s definitely a smart move. Too much “guesting” in normal times... Has been causing hopelessly overcrowded lounges, particularly the big ones like SEN at FRA.
Hopefully when a form of normality returns there will once again be some exclusivity instead of huge gaggles of friends blocking all the space and consuming everything.
I seriously doubt this will stops any of the things you describe above... the consultant parties in the CGN landside lounge on Friday nights were because of the open door policy back then... but the gaggles you notice probably are all *G/SEN.
hugolover likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 12:33 pm

This is probably a good move, though the last time I tried this must have been back in 2008 and I was denied at a FRA Business lounge as Star Gold so the wardens have been practising for some time.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerLX

Or, just maybe, they're also looking at ways to cut the lounge footprint to save on rent, and they've just had no reason to publicise this. The reductions in admissions through schemes like this one will be small, so after cuts to the square meters the lounges might actually be busier. There's nothing to be excited about.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 7:54 pm

We'll see if UA follows; I wouldn't be surprised. As a Club member, I have guested others, sometime colleagues including those on different flights, and sometimes taking pity on others. Most recently a pair of university women tried to enter a Club in DEN. Only one had access (don't know the circumstances). I just guested the other one in. The agent mentioned, with a wink, that I was responsible for the guest.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:43 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I was aware that the major US airlines require the sponsored guest to be with the sponsor and not by themselves. That seems to arrive at almost the same effect as the just announced LH rule

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.