Wiki Posts
Search

Unacceptable experience in shorthaul J

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by FlyerLX
I don’t make judgements on these things- it’s just that things like irony and subtle humour often fail to come across in a different language or cultural context... For example, why might Helga have legs??!! But now I know who Basia and BArb and Helga are, so that part is fine for me.😊

"To have legs" was my attempted allusion to irony. You could take it as a vaguely sexist comment, but the idiomatic meaning is "to succeed, be recognised"

Sorry about that!
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:50 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
"To have legs" was my attempted allusion to irony. You could take it as a vaguely sexist comment, but the idiomatic meaning is "to succeed, be recognised"

Sorry about that!
No apology needed for me but thank you for the explanation 😊
Old Jul 20, 2020, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by airoli
It's mostly lame, repetitive, confusing and not helpful for newcomers and people using the search function.
i second it. It’s quite annoying to see these confusing terms used occasionally by a few members here, in various threads,
andywaw likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So much hate, no surprise I am being discriminated against.

Well, as the Grauniad says, comment is free and I don’t plan to change my contributions. Whoever created the LinkedIn of Margaret Pennywhistle deserves a drink!

But obviously there comes a point where ones input should better remain in the private domain, on the WhatsApp groups etc than on this forum.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Tellingly, they don't seem to have caught on, outside the immediate orbit of their creator - though Helga might have legs. She might get joined by Heidi.

Unless you're Polish, or a follower of niche pop, you might not get the Basia connection.

I was trying to think of any carrier with a nickname that sticks. I mean beyond those tiresome ones like "Take Another Plane" for TAP
BArb hasn’t caught on? But they all know who I mean. In fact I wasn’t the creator, a non-FT came up with that after a CSD named Barbara came out of the galley with another one of her limp brown salads. Very premium of course. I have always felt that BArb fits BA, it’s along the lines of the far-right Jeremy Clarkson in one Top Gear episode in Vietnam that all he wanted was to get back on the plane and a man of delicate male persuasion offering him a G&T. Nevertheless they were meant in a term of endearment. I love BArb, I have repeated over and over how she is the most premium carrier in the skies. That explains why so many are eager to pretend to be Premier in her Club.

Basia has indeed caught on. Everyone knows who I mean. Basia’s Premium Dash is well remembered by many at LOT. I can assure you that many lovely employees are fully aware of my posts and the Moniker (sic). I can recall favourably that after a long trip away and a return to Polska my OH remarked that theirself was positively happy to see Basia offer theirself a Prince Polo.

Also sexism? Legs? A mans legs of course. Surely it’s a mistake to even think for a moment that a name of BArb, Basia, Helga are names belonging to females? These could easily be non-gendered names or indeed belonging to a womxn and are not sexist in the slightest. What matters is how someone identifies.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:40 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by airoli
Shocking! No choice of vegetarian meal, or pre-order, on a 177mi flight. How does one survive?!
It's very poor in 2020 to not offer a vegetarian alternative. BA for example offer all special meals on all flights. LH will not see my business anymore, it is as simple as that.
hugolover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.