Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Lufthansa requires face masks [May 2020-September 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2021, 12:57 am

Question

Dear friends, I have planned trip to CUN on next Friday from FRA (VIE-FRA-CUN), but just checked this link https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/flight-information.html where is stated:

Lufthansa is currently only allowed to carry the following booked passengers on departures (or travel commencements) from the countries of the Virus Variant areas:
  • Passengers with German nationality or passengers with a valid residence permit in Germany (upon presentation of a German registration certificate).
  • Passengers of other nationalities but only if they have a connecting flight to a Non-Schengen state (exception: China) and do not leave the transit area in Frankfurt or Munich (Exceptions are journeys started in Portugal, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Tyrol- here no passengers of other nationalities with connecting flights in Schengen- or Non-Schengen-states are generally permitted)
Passengers from a country in the Virus Variant area with connecting flights to a Schengen-state (from Portugal, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Tyrol generally with a connecting flight) are requested to rebook their flights either via My bookings or via a Lufthansa Service Center.

I am Slovak citizen but my trip starts in Austria, is there a chance I will be not able to board my LH flight from FRA to CUN because of my Slovak citizenship? I am not the best with these explanations. thank you

Last edited by romans; Feb 14, 2021 at 2:32 am
Old Feb 14, 2021, 1:24 am

Programs: EBD , FBG
Strange that it happens now, after 12 months of this virus?
If the reason is spread of virus and people removing masks for too long, then you’d think they would’ve enforced this months ago.

Although safety should come first, the catering which LH has kept through the pandemic, has been a major reason why I preferred flying them in the last months. I also tried KLM, but the difference was enormous.
esledo likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 1:29 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by romans
Dear friends, I have planned trip to CUN on next Friday from FRA (VIE-FRA-CUN), but just checked this link https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/flight-information.html where is stated:

Lufthansa is currently only allowed to carry the following booked passengers on departures (or travel commencements) from the countries of the Virus Variant areas:
  • Passengers with German nationality or passengers with a valid residence permit in Germany (upon presentation of a German registration certificate).
  • Passengers of other nationalities but only if they have a connecting flight to a Non-Schengen state (exception: China) and do not leave the transit area in Frankfurt or Munich (Exceptions are journeys started in Portugal, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Tyrol- here no passengers of other nationalities with connecting flights in Schengen- or Non-Schengen-states are generally permitted)
I am Slovak citizen but my trip starts in Austria, is there a chance I will be not able to board my LH flight from FRA to CUN because of my Slovak citizenship? I am not the best with these explanations. thank you
I think the addition "or travel commencements" is key here: if you live in Slovakia and have a Slovak passport, they might not allow you to board since your journey commenced in Slovakia (even if you departure is VIE).
Probably only if you can show a credible proof that you don't live in Slovakia, e.g. in Vienna (not clear from your post) you could board.
This hypothesis would be supported by the next sentence "Passengers from a country in the Virus Variant area with connecting flights to a Schengen-state" - this talks about "from a country", not "departing from a country".

But that is only my interpretation - best to call LH to confirm.
romans likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 3:00 am

such a mess whole LH, even with negative PCR test you are not able to travel, need to call them

lady on LH call-center confirmed I am able to travel since my travel starts in Austria. I just need 48 hours negative PCR/Antigen result. Such a mess, if I don't have this written I am very careful about this info.

Last edited by romans; Feb 14, 2021 at 3:20 am
Old Feb 14, 2021, 3:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It depends... when I was fling in August the crew had to remind everyone to put the mask on after serving f&b, in October everyone kept it on. With the new regulations that came into force in February, crews were probably reminded to enforce the rules.
romans likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 6:44 am

Well, no one said travelling during a global pandemic would be fun (or easy, or actually recommended)
Old Feb 14, 2021, 7:31 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Maybe people are just getting tired for wearing masks. They have learn sipping drinks as an excuse for mot wearing masks. Hence the new rules. A friend flew in June cross the pond on KLM (I believe), he was required to have multiple disposable masks for the flight as the airline required a clean masks every few hours. Not sure if the policy is same.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
such a mess whole LH, even with negative PCR test you are not able to travel, need to call them

lady on LH call-center confirmed I am able to travel since my travel starts in Austria. I just need 48 hours negative PCR/Antigen result. Such a mess, if I don't have this written I am very careful about this info.
I would be more concerned on the return, if you're doing CUN-FRA-VIE. You will not be allowed on the plane at CUN since you will be connecting to a Schengen country in FRA as a passenger of another nationality than German.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by gusd
I would be more concerned on the return, if you're doing CUN-FRA-VIE. You will not be allowed on the plane at CUN since you will be connecting to a Schengen country in FRA as a passenger of another nationality than German.
thanks for your point, where I can read this info? I can't see it in LH info.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
thanks for your point, where I can read this info? I can't see it in LH info.
It's in your post, relevant info bolded. For connecting passengers, only those passengers of other nationalities who connect to a non-Schengen flight are allowed to board. Since you are a Slovak citizen connecting to a Schengen flight (VIE), you don't seem to qualify.

romans likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: spg Gold for life / Ba gold / LX Sen / Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by oliver2002
It depends... when I was fling in August the crew had to remind everyone to put the mask on after serving f&b, in October everyone kept it on. With the new regulations that came into force in February, crews were probably reminded to enforce the rules.
which new policy ? on LH website it still says service normal for busines long haul
Old Feb 14, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Maybe people are just getting tired for wearing masks. They have learn sipping drinks as an excuse for mot wearing masks. Hence the new rules. A friend flew in June cross the pond on KLM (I believe), he was required to have multiple disposable masks for the flight as the airline required a clean masks every few hours. Not sure if the policy is same.
Flew KLM AMS-MEX in October and cloth mask was OK. AF, on the return, did require a surgical mask.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by gusd
It's in your post, relevant info bolded. For connecting passengers, only those passengers of other nationalities who connect to a non-Schengen flight are allowed to board. Since you are a Slovak citizen connecting to a Schengen flight (VIE), you don't seem to qualify.
Yes, but Mexico is not a Virus Variant Area, but a High Incidence Area. The regulations here are:
  • All passengers with final destination in Germany must present a negative test result (PCR, antigen, RT-LAMP or TMA) at the time of departure that is not older than 48 hours prior to the scheduled time of entry into Germany and complete an online registration on the site www.einreiseanmeldung.de
  • All guests with final destination in Germany must follow the local German quarantine regulations. Information about this can be found here
  • All passengers with a connecting flight to a destination outside Germany must observe the entry regulations of the corresponding destination country
So he should be good, as long as Austria lets him enter again...
romans likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 12:02 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by gillestarek
which new policy ? on LH website it still says service normal for busines long haul
Service is 'normal' but mask rules have been updated: surgical or FFP and always on. So you can enjoy the F&B but have to keep the mask on if not eating/drinking.
romans likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 10:17 pm

Programs: spg Gold for life / Ba gold / LX Sen / Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Service is 'normal' but mask rules have been updated: surgical or FFP and always on. So you can enjoy the F&B but have to keep the mask on if not eating/drinking.
Ah yes this is clear. So in the case of the flight above where I got the feedback it was crew laziness that used this to do less. Pathetic in these times where they should do better given the low amount of pax flying

Thanks.

Would be interesting to hear if anyone else has the same.

Flew LX recently and all was normal
Dover2Golf likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.