Search

Lufthansa Ticket Refund Timeline

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2020, 2:09 pm
TBD
Original Poster

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by iadh
I've been waiting now for close to eight weeks for a refund for a canceled LH flight. On the telephone, I keep getting excuses. U.S. Department of Transportation regulations clearly state that refunds must be processed within seven business days if the original payment was made by credit card. I am not in the business of giving interest-free loans to airlines and I am considering filing a complaint against LH with DOT. Does anyone have any experience whether such action might jiggle something loose?
I've heard that the DOT does indeed respond .... but it seems like a credit card dispute would be more effective.
Old May 18, 2020, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by TBD
I've heard that the DOT does indeed respond .... but it seems like a credit card dispute would be more effective.
I'm sure DOT will respond, even if only acknowledging receipt of the complaint, but will they get LH to pay out the refund? As to CC charge-back, I'm not yet prepared to do that because I'm looking at two more canceled LH flights for June and I don't relish the prospect of being in constant fights with LH.
Old May 20, 2020, 4:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
How long for refunds?

LH cancelled my flight, and I was granted a refund on May 4. Still hasn't shown up (Delta took only 3 days).

When can I expect? Or is LH playing games?

Travel was to be for Memorial Day (May 25).
Old May 20, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
I don't know anyone who was refunded so far. I cancelled 3 tickets on LH via call centre, the first one on 2nd March, but haven't received anything.
The EU 621 regulation states that "you have to be refunded within 7 days if your flight has been cancelled and you requested a refund." The airline has to refund in full no matter the cause of cancellation (even for Covid) if the passenger decides to go ahead, the voucher can be offered as an alternative, but only in case that the passenger accepts it. The European commission already said twice this month that the rules stay the same and that the consumer has to be refunded in full if the service was not provided.
Lufthansa is not refunding anything, they accept the cancellation but they just don't process it.
I have already filled a complaint with Amex and they reimbursed the value of those tickets in advance, however I think Lufthansa will not refund until it gets government rescue funds.
The consumers lose again, the large concerns win, again! You will need to go to court and sue them, and in 99% of cases, then, and only then you will be paid!

Last edited by kai.lileboo; May 20, 2020 at 4:30 pm
Old May 20, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by Babu
LH cancelled my flight, and I was granted a refund on May 4. Still hasn't shown up (Delta took only 3 days).

I would say: not before September in the normal course of order (but hey, maybe there is a positive surprise...)
Old May 20, 2020, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The simplest and least-stressful way to deal with this is to make your request for a refund to LH and then wait 7 days. If the refund has been initiated, all the better. If not, on the 8th day you should initiate a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank) and, in the case of tickets to or from the US, a DOT complaint as well.

With both, you should supply a copy of your e-ticket receipt, the notice of cancellation (possible screen shot showing absence of flight), your request for a refund, and any acknowledgement from LH (or a note that no acknowledgement has been received).

There is nothing extreme or hard (for you) about chargebacks and it is unlikely that LH will push back unless you have erroneously claimed a refund. DOT does not enforce individual matters, but it does evaluate whether the matter is within its jurisdiction and then send the complaint to LH requiring a response to the consumer with a copy to DOT. Given that DOT rules require a refund be initiated within 7 days, there really is not much for LH to do other than to respond that it has done so. Unless, of course, you have made an error.

By supplying the documents listed above, you make fairly short work of this for your bank as well.
Old May 20, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Babu

I have been waiting since April 23. They are bombarded with refund requests and are all queued up somewhere, no one know when and where
Old May 20, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: LH HON
I received my first refund today... hopefully the others will follow soon
Old May 20, 2020, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daumueller
I received my first refund today... hopefully the others will follow soon

So how long was the wait?
Old May 20, 2020, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So how long was the wait?
end of March so about 7 weeks.

also received back my miles and fees for a flight award that i cancelled early April
Old May 20, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.

also received back my miles and fees for a flight award that i cancelled early April
I imagine HONs have some sort of priority, I have one ticket from mid March(and two from mid April) and so far nada.
Old May 20, 2020, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by more4less
I imagine HONs have some sort of priority, I have one ticket from mid March(and two from mid April) and so far nada.
so far, they were rather cheap tickets... (600 and 800). Might also be that they start with those (‚we refunded 100.000 tickets‘ sounds good but is cheaper if it’s not 10.000 per ticket
Old May 20, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum

The refund of award tickets has a different process and is dealt by M&M only. Although even if you already got back the miles and taxes, I think 7 weeks I far too much.
Old May 21, 2020, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by kai.lileboo
The refund of award tickets has a different process and is dealt by M&M only. Although even if you already got back the miles and taxes, I think 7 weeks I far too much.
i am aware - those were two different tickets

still, M&M also had stopped refunds completely so seems like refunds are starting up again across the board
Old May 21, 2020, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So Lufthansa will be bailed out by the government.

Today I received the money owing by Lufthansa. Refund process initiated April 23, Money Refunded May 21. These are Revenue tickets, booked for the promo 2 can travel in Business and First class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.