Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ACflyerDE
The programme will now change from 1 January 2022 (postponed again and it will not start before 2023)
https://www.miles-and-more.com/row/e...ts/update.html

All the changes are listed on the official M&M Website: https://www.miles-and-more.com/de/en...ts/update.html

Starting 2021, the system for earning status changes. From then on, status points are earned by cabin and segment flown:

Regional flights will earn 5 points in Economy and Premium Economy, 10 points in First and Business class per segment
Intercontinental flights, ie flights between two IATA regions, will earn 15 points in Economy, 20 in Premium Economy, 50 in Business and 70 in First class segments

There will be two kinds of points : qualifying points (QP): earned with M&M integrated partners (LH/EW/LX/OS/LO/OU/LG/etc) and normal points : earned with other partners like the airlines in the Star Alliance. QP can be earned on LH Airrail train segments, but are capped at 40/120/250 per year for FTL/SEN/HON.

'Frequent Traveler' (FTL, equivalent to *S) status is given to members with 160 points (of which atleast 80 need to be QP), 'Senator' (SEN, *G) to members with 480 points (of which atleast 240 need to be QP). HON Circle (HON) is awarded after reaching 1500 QP in one year.

SEN will receive two evouchers upon qualification each year, HON 4 evouchers. There will be no rollover of QP, but for members who exceed the qualification QP level, M&M will grant the following benefits:
FTL: Mileage exchange for QP at 200 qualifying points
SEN: 2 eVoucher at 700 qualifying points; 15,000 award miles at 1,000 qualifying points; Frequent Traveller partner card at 1,300 qualifying points
HON:2 eVoucher at 1,800 qualifying points; 30,000 award miles at 2,100 qualifying points; 2 eVoucher at 2,400 qualifying points; Frequent Traveller partner card at 2,700 qualifying points; Senator partner card at 3,000 qualifying points

The system of status miles, HON Circle miles, select miles, and status star points will be abolished at the end of 2020. Any status earned prior to that will be honored. Any HON Circle miles earned in 2020 will be credited as QP in the ratio 200:1. Status star points earned till end of 2020 will converted to lifetime QP at a ration of 2:1.

Members with a lifetime QP of 7500 will be awarded FTL for their lifetime. If members reach 10000 lifetime QP and have been SEN for at least a cumulative 10 years they will be awarded lifetime SEN status.

Status is always valid for the year of qualification and one additional year. HON and SEN will have a 'soft landing' ie if they cannot requalify for status, they will get a year of SEN or FTL respectively.

Print Wikipost

New qualifying points system for status from 2024

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I thank all contributors who keep this thread up to the minute with useful comments, plus the work of those on VFT at the meeting last night. The live ticker thread was very interesting. As usual, these threads have ballooned into huge reads that mean I spend my time mostly reading and trying to catch up rather than actually participating and writing.

My take is that they must have slyly observed what was happening over at Flying Blue and frankly, it doesn't take a genius to see that FB has been greatly improved since their changes in April 2017.

Two things: Flying Blue changed their dance steps at the beginning of April 2017. That meant there was a 3 month opportunity to run for Gold, which I took. After that, I was very well placed to make the hop to Platinum and I am glad I did it, because on FB it is easier to retain status rather than gain it from new. That is an essential difference with M&M, in that retaining status on M&M will require exactly the same number of points each time.

The other thing, quite important, is that M&M did not adopt the dynamic pricing of Flying Blue, which was a majorly sly and intelligent move IMO. On FB you often get completely stupid mileage results, depending on the actual cash cost of the flight, including prices of half a million miles for some European flights at certain times. Hopefully the current M&M award chart will be around for a while now. After all, it was already devalued a short while ago.
hugolover likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
LT SEN - if I understood correctly at miles-and-more.com/frequent-flyer, at the end it is irrelevant if in your years as SEN you collected 200.000 status miles every year, or 100.000 status miles every 2 years, because you have to reach 10.000 points that mean 27,4 years as SEN to obtain it, absurd if you compare it with other options.

If you have been SEN for over 15 years, it might be interesting to continue with M&M, otherwise I think it makes more sense to move to SK Eurobonus for LT *G or other FFP.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would really be reluctant to start from 0 in another FFP for the purpose of LT status. Especially to SK. Can you really be sure that SK is more likely to be around in 10 years than M&M is? Then your LT status is worthless.

Maybe UA is a better bet?

Look at bmi LT G...consigned to have value only in FT profiles.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHSEN
It allows one to achieve say SEN with very little spends and then move onto another alliance program ... don’t see how this will increase loyalty, especially those high-spenders. Confused as to what they wanted to achieve also ... ���� ...
Or move from another alliance program.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yes, will need to spend 12k each year. No more adultery every alternate year.
Originally Posted by warakorn
LH Miles & More will become the Mileage Run paradise, since achieving status is not based on spending/revenue but segments taken. Esp. each longhaul segment in Business Class brings you 10% and a bit closer to SEN status.
LH hasn't killed the game for those who want to be real players in this game.

Thankfully, I'm not married to Lufthansa and I never will be -- not only because I don't find any real use for LH*G but also because it's so much easier and better to be an opportunistic free agent in the market than to be subject to being taken to the cleaners by a "beloved" airline.

Ironically, LH*G might occasionally be far cheaper *G to get/retain than some "cheap" * airlines' *G status. Just consider it a two-way fling, as LH will move on and dump you as soon and however it wants.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
As a newbie to the M&M programme, is it possible to summarise the new scheme in a wiki? I rather got lost in 14 pages of discussion
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:49 am
Suspended

Just waiting for someone to hire students to fly on their behalf.
Grog and more4less like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by fluffymitten
As a newbie to the M&M programme, is it possible to summarise the new scheme in a wiki? I rather got lost in 14 pages of discussion
https://www.miles-and-more.com/row/e...ts/update.html
fluffymitten likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: M&M SEN**; FB Silver; IHG Platinum
As someone who frequently flies to LatAm mostly in Y, I can clearly see an opportunity at PTY-BOG with two airline options, sometimes very reasonably priced in C; and 10 nonstop flights even on a Sunday...
Unionruler likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NightFly
As someone who frequently flies to LatAm mostly in Y, I can clearly see an opportunity at PTY-BOG with two airline options, sometimes very reasonably priced in C; and 10 nonstop flights even on a Sunday...
Sounds nice in theory until you consider that it won't take doing too many days of doing those flights to potentially face a real risk of being considered a person of super-interest to customs and maybe some other governmental authorities near and far.

May still be worth it if an LH program status-seeker wants a free x-ray of their bowels or has a constipation problem needing something.

In other words, maybe worth it for SEN, but may be too much of a gamble for HON.

Originally Posted by diburning
Reading the FT front page article, which directed me here for more info (hah!) it looks like they're moving to a segment-point based qualification with class of service and metal giving bonuses? Does that mean that I can get Senator/Star Gold with 96 segments with no spend or distance requirement? If it's possible to fly 96 segments for under $6,000 (So the segments would have to cost less than $62.50 each or $125 each for first class, both of which may be possible), it might be a worthwhile alternative to United's program for Star Gold benefits.
Which Star Gold benefits are worth $6000 for a year? Or even $2500-3000 for a year of such benefits? Unless expecting a big change in travel plans with an increased ramp up of travel the following year, I would suggest being wary of overpaying for *G benefits, especially if based in the US and flying most airline segments on non-LH group airlines.
Crampedin13A likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 12, 2019 at 7:14 am
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by oliver2002
HON doesn't get you much in terms of services in WAW or BRU though...?
A car transfer in WAW in case of outside position. A special corner in The Loft lounge in BRU, with (currently) JW Black Label as well as the usual Gordon’s Gin to mix with Fever Tree tonic (go figure...). Nothing else indeed
hugolover and Vixit like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by hugolover
Yes I’ve pointed that out earlier in the thread. It was the first thing that struck me how many more SEN there can be.

First time that shuttling around Poland 300 times gets you HON.
But all that Polish domestic flying leaves no time to actually use the FRA/MUC/ZRH facilities...
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Is it confirmed that TLV is not Europe? If so SEN status is gonna be darn easy to earn/retain.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: *A Gold, ST - E+
Status is pretty much useless unless you travel often and are able to use its perks. Otherwise it'll be just some sort of medal for yourself (and money in the company's pockets). Just my 0.02€
IAN-UK and 8420PR like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Unionruler
Is it confirmed that TLV is not Europe? If so SEN status is gonna be darn easy to earn/retain.

The website published this table of regions.
Attached Images

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.