Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MXP lounge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
MXP lounge

As a regular at MXP I am pleased and impressed by one of the nicest *alliance lounges: The new LH lounge. Gracious staff, Lavazza coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice and you name it....

Noted less crowding since the closure of LIN which led to the (overdue) ban of FTL's at the lounge. FTL's appear to contribute much to the overcrowding and appear to be a problem.

What do you think about the following:

1. *silver in general does not give lounge access, why LH FTL's should get that privilege ?
2. Shall *G not offer anymore lounge access when traveling on cheap fares ?
3. SEN lounge should be for SEN only, not for *G (which are most often cheap compared to SEN) and should at best be allowed to the standard C lounges ?

I would approve all of the above as it is time that LH cares more for their own elites, *G is most of the time more easy to attain than LH FTL.

The goal of any quality product should be to keep it exclusive to motivate people to get it.

Ready to be bashed
Old Aug 11, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
There was a bit of a discussion about this on one of the other threads and how SQ handles it in such a way.

One problem is that LH treats a 35k FTL the same as a 90k FTL - which on almost every other airline would put you close to top status (e.g. that's enough for Diamond on SK, even though that status is only valid for one year unlike the M&M two-year status).

I recall what Emirates did (maybe still does) was to give their Silver members access only to lounges in DXB, so you would have lounge access during a layover but not at departure. There is also better control over lounge capacity at hubs, so that could perhaps be one way to do it for FTL.

But regarding MXP specifically - apart from the good coffee I was not too impressed with the rest of the F&B - bad wines and food. Fresh and nice space, but not exactly "exclusive" that access needs to be restricted. It did get very busy however.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
Make my FTL status useless, see me switch my flights to other airlines. Simple as that.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by behuman
FTL's appear to contribute much to the overcrowding and appear to be a problem
Is that a Milan-specific issue? Because otherwise FTLs would only be granted access to the Business lounges, thus not sure how they can be the ‘problem’. Overcrowding is a common feature at most lounges ‘affecting’ virtually all alliances and their loyalty programs (have you ever been to the KLM lounges at Schiphol or at any Air France lounge at Charles de Gaulle, especially 2F?), plus I suspect that even a SEN-only policy would not solve the issue entirely, especially at busy hubs. I therefore recommend enquiring about private jets (Linate seems to a hot-spot for that) for the truly, quintessential luxury experience.

G
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Is that a Milan-specific issue? Because otherwise FTLs would only be granted access to the Business lounges,
Lounge staff stated that a majority of guests are FTL in general, hence the peace and quiet during the LIN closure with the corresponding limitation.

MXP has "only" a business lounge and FTL are allowed at LH/LX/OS operated C lounges to my knowledge.

Like your private jet comment
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: LX SEN
My view is that, if lounges are overcrowded (like many in FRA and SEN A in ZRH), more lounge space must be made available. LH in MUC managed it pretty well, to my view. I did not go often in MXP, but I do not remember it as being too full.

As stated by Marcoos, elite's benefits are a way to retain customers.
ung1 and Nick Art like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
As long as the lounge in question is treated as a *A lounge then LH implementing this would go against *A rules. Currently there are no restrictions on tickets as long as you're not a Non-rev.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:12 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=miamiflyer8;31404151] LH implementing this would go against *A rules./QUOTE]

They do this (going against *alliance rules) with baggage on light fares already. The actual arrangement is simply not sustainable with super low cost fares and more is to come.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:18 am

[QUOTE=behuman;31404172]
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
LH implementing this would go against *A rules./QUOTE]

They do this (going against *alliance rules) with baggage on light fares already. The actual arrangement is simply not sustainable with super low cost fares and more is to come.
While extra luggage is a *G benefit the staralliance.com website indicates the following exception:

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
So it doesn't go against anything.

Implementing the restriction on lounge access would go against the rules until that is amended alliance wide too.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:27 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=miamiflyer8;31404187]
While extra luggage is a *G benefit the staralliance.com website indicates the following exception:
So it doesn't go against anything.
Implementing the restriction on lounge access would go against the rules until that is amended alliance wide too.
Correct and there will be one more exception (to the basic rules) at the convenience of the LH group which will suit them, like the LH group F lounge story.
This is just the start. Elite benefits are just not bearable at a certain level of very low fares and rightly so, especially with the inflation of "cheap" *G from certain airlines.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by ung1
I recall what Emirates did (maybe still does) was to give their Silver members access only to lounges in DXB, so you would have lounge access during a layover but not at departure. There is also better control over lounge capacity at hubs, so that could perhaps be one way to do it for FTL..
LH Group (+ Miles&More airlines) essentially do the same. FTL only get access to airline operated lounges, which are in hubs, with some few exceptions (like MXP... which used to be a Lufthansa group hub, to be fair). The only difference is, EK has one hub, LHG has many.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:21 pm

[QUOTE=behuman;31404210]
Correct and there will be one more exception (to the basic rules) at the convenience of the LH group which will suit them, like the LH group F lounge story.
Based on what I've heard LH and LX FCLs and the FCT are not Star Alliance lounges, but HON lounges where LH happens to invite their own F pax as a courtesy.

At any time LH can stop designating the SEN Lounge as a *G lounge and send them to the C lounge instead.
behuman likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
What do you think about the following:

1. *silver in general does not give lounge access, why LH FTL's should get that privilege ?
3. SEN lounge should be for SEN only, not for *G (which are most often cheap compared to SEN) and should at best be allowed to the standard C lounges ?
My five cents:

1.LH should all ways at first support their own elites and as from FTL may become later SEN and even HON, FTL should have LH own business class lounge access.
2.*G should keep lounge access but ONLY to LH business lounge, not depending on the fare class
3.SEN lounge MUST become absolutely SEN-only with absolute ban for all other *G (if they are not lucky enough to be SEN's guest). But standard C lounge acccess should remain no matter of travel/booking class and fare paid.
behuman likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:31 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
[QUOTE=behuman;31404210]

This is just the start. Elite benefits are just not bearable at a certain level of very low fares and rightly so, especially with the inflation of "cheap" *G from certain airlines.
I don't get what you're trying to obtain here. Less benefits for SEN/Star gold ?

I have just as well flown fully flexible First/Business class fares with LH group as K light fares with LH group.

One thing for sure is that if I didn't get lounge access with LH through those K fares then they would stop getting any business from me for long-haul first/business, which would in the end cost them more in lost revenue than the 1-2 glasses of coke and pieces of bread that I might eat during my visit in their lounges.

I think what you're preaching is exactly why low-cost airlines keep getting stronger - traditional airlines view their best customers as a cost rather than a source of revenue.
ung1 and Nick Art like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=GVA;31404544]
I don't get what you're trying to obtain here. Less benefits for SEN/Star gold ?
Benefits for LH group SEN (which is hard to attain by *G standards) and less for "normal" *G. The actual status is just shocking. At best an average *G is not more than a FTL.

Would be logical to keep them in C lounges, the SEN lounges being designated *F lounges. SQ has a perfect solution in SIN. Their *G lounge is decent at best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.