Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where can you legally store a laptop that is not the overhead bin?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Where can you legally store a laptop that is not the overhead bin?

Question about EuroBusiness (applies to any LH group airline offering that but in my case mainly LH itself).

* Is it allowed to put a backpack - secured with the seatbelt - on the middle seat during taxi, take-off, and landing?
* Is it allowed to keep a small laptop on the middle seat during taxi, take-off, and landing?
* (If no to the previous question) is there any place where you can legally store a laptop that is not the overhead bin?

I've had mixed experiences with FA's regarding this. Most seem to allow the backpack, but some won't, so I wonder if there is an actual policy. IME there are fewer FA's that allow the laptop, but I still had a few that would allow that. Don't worry, I'm not going to use any "policy" argument to challenge what an FA tells me to do, but it's always good to be aware of the official airline policy if there is one.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by mozilla
Question about EuroBusiness (applies to any LH group airline offering that but in my case mainly LH itself).

* Is it allowed to put a backpack - secured with the seatbelt - on the middle seat during taxi, take-off, and landing?
* Is it allowed to keep a small laptop on the middle seat during taxi, take-off, and landing?
* (If no to the previous question) is there any place where you can legally store a laptop that is not the overhead bin?

I've had mixed experiences with FA's regarding this. Most seem to allow the backpack, but some won't, so I wonder if there is an actual policy. IME there are fewer FA's that allow the laptop, but I still had a few that would allow that. Don't worry, I'm not going to use any "policy" argument to challenge what an FA tells me to do, but it's always good to be aware of the official airline policy if there is one.
1 & 2: always depends on the crew. There is no consistency. Therefore I would guess that it isn’t officially allowed: some crew go by the rules and some don’t see a big issue

3: most of the time: in the seat pocket. Also depends on the crew ie some can be very pedantic.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by MichielR
[left]

Therefore I would guess that it isn’t officially allowed:
Agree.

bags and other items are supposed to be secured in case there's an emergency. We don't know how the back-pack will behave in a sudden decelaration and the unsecured laptop is a potential missile.

(Also, I'm guessing this relates to travel with a colleague or friend occupying the other seat?)
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM

1 & 2: always depends on the crew. There is no consistency. Therefore I would guess that it isn’t officially allowed: some crew go by the rules and some don’t see a big issue

3: most of the time: in the seat pocket. Also depends on the crew ie some can be very pedantic.
The policy in all three cases is „no“.

If the laptop is small enough to go unnoticed, such as a magazine-sized MacBook Pro 13, I managed to keep it in the seatpocket.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all those who replied. I can only confirm the observation of inconsistencies in this regard (which, IMHO, is rare for LH).

With regards to the pocket, they've always asked me to remove it from there and put it in the overhead bin. However, most of the time I sit in row 1 and I assume it's easier for the FA's to see what is in the pockets of row 1 than it is for row 2+. I'm flying LH EuroBusiness again this week and per @worldclubber suggestion, I'll try to see if I can conceal the laptop (which is a MBP 13") in the pocket.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If not seated in the first row of euro business (which I avoid like the plague) then you can always keep your backpack with the laptop under seat in front of the empty seat? That is where I usually stash my belongings... trolley goes there, computer/office bag etc.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by mozilla
Thanks to all those who replied. I can only confirm the observation of inconsistencies in this regard (which, IMHO, is rare for LH).

With regards to the pocket, they've always asked me to remove it from there and put it in the overhead bin. However, most of the time I sit in row 1 and I assume it's easier for the FA's to see what is in the pockets of row 1 than it is for row 2+. I'm flying LH EuroBusiness again this week and per @worldclubber suggestion, I'll try to see if I can conceal the laptop (which is a MBP 13") in the pocket.
Which does not make it legal, but it usually works.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Probably not legal either, but I sometimes put my laptop behind my back where it also functions as a kind of lumbar support during take-off. So far no FA has noticed it!
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I usually put my laptop in the seat pocket even in row 1. I've never yet been asked to move it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.