Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most expensive LH/LX F fare you've ever paid?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by milfweed20
None. But since I can manage my business from any remote location and I like to travel 3-4 months a year I tought it would be a nice challenge.
Good for you, life is for living
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by sophialite
Post was:Not sure if it counts, but a Star F RTW on LH (4 LH longhaul in F) stock for approx. 12000 Euro (from NRT)

How many HON points did you accrue for that?
Too far away fom HON, but the F flights (book into A were NRT-FRA,FRA-JNB-FRA,FRA-LAX is about 21000 Miles, so 63000+Status Bonus HON miles. Total amount of Status Miles is over 100.000. Enough for SEN if done inside one year. Not the cheapest way, but comfortable and flexible.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Too far away fom HON, but the F flights (book into A were NRT-FRA,FRA-JNB-FRA,FRA-LAX is about 21000 Miles, so 63000+Status Bonus HON miles. Total amount of Status Miles is over 100.000. Enough for SEN if done inside one year. Not the cheapest way, but comfortable and flexible.
that’s actually really good value IMO...
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:05 pm

I think probably difficult to get HON for less than 30k EUR per year. Anything between that and 40k is pretty good.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: LH HON
I think probably difficult to get HON for less than 30k EUR per year. Anything between that and 40k is pretty good.
unless you got waaaay too much time to reposition etc

so far I never made use of ex-Cdg/bud/mxp etc. fares just because I value time at home way more so my ex-DE fares obviously come at a surcharge. Same with travel dates - sometimes I book F because A isn’t available. Also, I fly to where work takes me - not where cheap fares allow me to...

so yeah, I agree 30k is pretty cheap for HON. But I doubt it’s doable for most of us unless you aim for HON to be HON (unlike HON because that’s what results from your travel) or your extremely lucky with where you live at and need to go to.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
$4k for a low season TATL A-class. Often $10k for C/J class tickets that I upgrade to O with eGPUs.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
400€ and some A3 miles. I am the one you want to see on 1A
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by daumueller

unless you got waaaay too much time to reposition etc

so far I never made use of ex-Cdg/bud/mxp etc. fares just because I value time at home way more so my ex-DE fares obviously come at a surcharge. Same with travel dates - sometimes I book F because A isn’t available. Also, I fly to where work takes me - not where cheap fares allow me to...

so yeah, I agree 30k is pretty cheap for HON. But I doubt it’s doable for most of us unless you aim for HON to be HON (unlike HON because that’s what results from your travel) or your extremely lucky with where you live at and need to go to.
You are rapidly becoming my favorite poster.

Full disclosure--I do sometimes do positioning or separate tickets to get cheaper fares (and I have zero problem doing the intra-EU leg in economy--never understood posters here who say they have to fly business for that). But I've never booked a ticket to a destination for the mere fact that it was a cheap A class destination.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: LH HON, PC RA

Full disclosure--I do sometimes do positioning or separate tickets to get cheaper fares (and I have zero problem doing the intra-EU leg in economy--never understood posters here who say they have to fly business for that). But I've never booked a ticket to a destination for the mere fact that it was a cheap A class destination.
Well, the positioning flight in Eco vs. positioning flight in Business is -for me- dependent ob two things:

a) is it a direct return (e.g. MUC-BUD-MUC) or not (or stopover at EU starting point)

b) how much carry-on luggage I will take with me

Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance

I think destination wise it can make sense to chose a destination that may not be your exact final destination but is close enough in order to save a lot of money. Let’s say you want to fly to HKG, but the fare difference of flying instead to BKK is huge, in this case I think it makes sense to chose a close-by destination.

Regarding the positioning I think it really depends on how busy your life is. If you are a big shot that calculates their hourly wage at 1-2k/hour, than having a detour that can make you lose 5-6 hours maybe doesn’t make sense financially for you, but if you are some normal person, you would probably prefer to save 2-3k in the fare and spending an extra 5-6 hours.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:59 am

I think destination wise it can make sense to chose a destination that may not be your exact final destination but is close enough in order to save a lot of money. Let’s say you want to fly to HKG, but the fare difference of flying instead to BKK is huge, in this case I think it makes sense to chose a close-by destination.

Regarding the positioning I think it really depends on how busy your life is. If you are a big shot that calculates their hourly wage at 1-2k/hour, than having a detour that can make you lose 5-6 hours maybe doesn’t make sense financially for you, but if you are some normal person, you would probably prefer to save 2-3k in the fare and spending an extra 5-6 hours.
You’re the founder of a company with sufficient revenue to let you fly F but you don’t value your time at at least $1k an hour? Interesting.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:15 am
Original Poster

You’re the founder of a company with sufficient revenue to let you fly F but you don’t value your time at at least $1k an hour? Interesting.
Not exactly the point I was trying to make. Obviously you need a good financial situation in order to regularly fly F, but what I meant is someone like me who has enough free time to lose 5 or 6 hours when I'm travelling, if that means I can save enough on the flight fare to invest in other components of the trip like hotels and restaurants, I'll do it.

Also when I'm valuing my time I don't do it big corporation style, where you're always charging a lot of hours a week to the clients or something similar to look very busy and therefore artificially increase your hourly wage, I regularly work a lot less hours than those jobs and make more than others I know who work those jobs. As you already said once, quality over quantity.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:22 am

Not exactly the point I was trying to make. Obviously you need a good financial situation in order to regularly fly F, but what I meant is someone like me who has enough free time to lose 5 or 6 hours when I'm travelling, if that means I can save enough on the flight fare to invest in other components of the trip like hotels and restaurants, I'll do it.

Also when I'm valuing my time I don't do it big corporation style, where you're always charging a lot of hours a week to the clients or something similar to look very busy and therefore artificially increase your hourly wage, I regularly work a lot less hours than those jobs and make more than others I know who work those jobs. As you already said once, quality over quantity.
No question that lawyers and consultants are useless. But you don’t have to be on the billable hour to know how much you value your time. And if you’re the CEO of a company with sufficient revenues to support premium travel of this time, I’d argue that your time on an hourly basis is worth much more than $2k.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:34 am
Original Poster

No question that lawyers and consultants are useless. But you don’t have to be on the billable hour to know how much you value your time. And if you’re the CEO of a company with sufficient revenues to support premium travel of this time, I’d argue that your time on an hourly basis is worth much more than $2k.
The only problem I see with your argument is not the value per hour you attach to the work but the amount of hours that you think are billable as work. And to support premium travel you don't have to make 2k/hour even if you only work 25h a week.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:40 am

The only problem I see with your argument is not the value per hour you attach to the work but the amount of hours that you think are billable as work. And to support premium travel you don't have to make 2k/hour even if you only work 25h a week.
When you’re CEO, regardless of whether your time is literally billable, every waking hour of your life is one in which you can enhance revenue or minimize cost. If your company has achieved the scale to afford this kind of travel, that extra three hours you spent positioning to save $2k off an F fare could’ve been used to generate much more in revenues for your company.

My partner is the founder of a company. If her investors found that she was making this trade off, they would rightfully wonder if she was the right person for the job. Not really the best use of her time, even if she can’t subdivide her time into billable units or invoice a client.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.