Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH Gave away my suit coat and promised to reimburse-Now they won't...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

LH Gave away my suit coat and promised to reimburse-Now they won't...

Looking for advice from the community here as I don;t fly LH much but I know that FlyerTalk is probably the most active community on the web.

I was recently flying from FRA to BAH on LH 636. This flight makes a stop in Riyadh on the way. At the stop in Riyadh the flight crew gave my suit coat away to a passenger that got off in Riyadh (and they didn't realize it). When we were coming in to land in BAH I asked for my suit coat and the crew brought me a jacket that wasn't mine -- and it was then that they realized their mistake..... I had a very important governmental meeting early the next morning and the crew and ground staff told me to purchase a new one (I only had carry-on luggage and I have NEVER - in 30 years of travel had something like this happened to me).

So the next morning I went out and purchased a new jacket and completed my trip and returned to the states and submitted my request for reimbursement along with my receipt.

At first LH declined my request completely saying that they were not responsible for lost clothing on the airplane. I then pointed out that I didn't LOSE anything -- and that their employees had given away my suit coat. A week goes by and clearly they did some research and I received a new email that apologized for their mistake - and they offered to pay $100. I told them that I had relied on their word after they gave away my suit coat and that their offer was unacceptable. I then got an offer for 50% of the reimbursement cost and was told to take it or leave it.

This all seems wrong to me -- should I just take the money and forget about it or keep pushing? They are offering to pay $270. Any advice is appreciated.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by 2ndGenNavalAviator
Looking for advice from the community here as I don;t fly LH much but I know that FlyerTalk is probably the most active community on the web.

I was recently flying from FRA to BAH on LH 636. This flight makes a stop in Riyadh on the way. At the stop in Riyadh the flight crew gave my suit coat away to a passenger that got off in Riyadh (and they didn't realize it). When we were coming in to land in BAH I asked for my suit coat and the crew brought me a jacket that wasn't mine -- and it was then that they realized their mistake..... I had a very important governmental meeting early the next morning and the crew and ground staff told me to purchase a new one (I only had carry-on luggage and I have NEVER - in 30 years of travel had something like this happened to me).

So the next morning I went out and purchased a new jacket and completed my trip and returned to the states and submitted my request for reimbursement along with my receipt.

At first LH declined my request completely saying that they were not responsible for lost clothing on the airplane. I then pointed out that I didn't LOSE anything -- and that their employees had given away my suit coat. A week goes by and clearly they did some research and I received a new email that apologized for their mistake - and they offered to pay $100. I told them that I had relied on their word after they gave away my suit coat and that their offer was unacceptable. I then got an offer for 50% of the reimbursement cost and was told to take it or leave it.

This all seems wrong to me -- should I just take the money and forget about it or keep pushing? They are offering to pay $270. Any advice is appreciated.
Welcome to FT , 2ndGenNavalAviator.

You are blameless in this & LH are entirely responsible because of the negligence of the FA’s, plus they promised to reimburse you as they should.

I would keep pushing for full reimbursement, it’s what they promised.

Do you have travel insurance ?

If your getting nowhere with customer service, you could try escalating to the Lufthansa Lurkers in this forum or try social media, I doubt they will want this kind of story being circulated.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris63

Welcome to FT , 2ndGenNavalAviator.

You are blameless in this & LH are entirely responsible because of the negligence of the FA’s, plus they promised to reimburse you as they should.

I would keep pushing for full reimbursement, it’s what they promised.

Do you have travel insurance ?

If your getting nowhere with customer service, you could try escalating to the Lufthansa Lurkers in this forum or try social media, I doubt they will want this kind of story being circulated.
I don't have travel insurance and I probably should have asked for a piece of paper or other proof - or videoed the interaction -- FWIW the ground staff in Bahrain were great upon arrival -- LH customer service - not so much....

I'm sorry I'm not sure what Lufthansa Lurkers are and not so active on social media due to my current role. Thanks for the advice!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't have travel insurance and I probably should have asked for a piece of paper or other proof - or videoed the interaction -- FWIW the ground staff in Bahrain were great upon arrival -- LH customer service - not so much....

I'm sorry I'm not sure what Lufthansa Lurkers are and not so active on social media due to my current role. Thanks for the advice!
Your welcome 😊

The Lurkers are easily found in the sticky at the top of this forum, ‘ Feedback for the the official LH Lurkers’ & of course you can remain anonymous there.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:08 am

I don't have travel insurance and I probably should have asked for a piece of paper or other proof - or videoed the interaction --
Yes. You should have asked the purser for a short written notice. Maybe other facts can help. Maybe you remember the name of the purser or of the FA, who made the mistake. Or maybe you know the name of an other passenger, who witnessed your experience.

Social media can be helpful, but that is not likely. Almost everything on social media is faked. In this forum there is a small part of flyertalk and a much much bigger part of liartalk. Good companies don‘t want to let liars and cheaters get away with their criminal actions. That can also turn against honest travelers. Most people still think, that lies are good as long as they help them. That they are just part of normal competition. But the truth is, that lies make the life of all of us more difficult.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thbe

Yes. You should have asked the purser for a short written notice. Maybe other facts can help. Maybe you remember the name of the purser or of the FA, who made the mistake. Or maybe you know the name of an other passenger, who witnessed your experience.
There is no dispute that it happened -- the guy that got my jacket even got my number from Lufthansa while he was in Saudi Arabia and called me -- what is in dispute is paying for the new suit coat I had to purchase before my meeting - they simply don't want to pay for 100% of it even though their employees said they would. Of course I have no way to prove that they said they would pay 100% -- but why would they say we will pay anything less than that when they know they messed up?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
[/left]
There is no dispute that it happened -- the guy that got my jacket even got my number from Lufthansa while he was in Saudi Arabia and called me -- what is in dispute is paying for the new suit coat I had to purchase before my meeting - they simply don't want to pay for 100% of it even though their employees said they would. Of course I have no way to prove that they said they would pay 100% -- but why would they say we will pay anything less than that when they know they messed up?
How much are we talking about? If you bought a super expensive designer jacket, I can see them balking.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
How much are we talking about? If you bought a super expensive designer jacket, I can see them balking.
They offered to pay $270 for the jacket, which is apparently 50% of what he spent, so sounds like the jacket cost $540? LH/LX have reimbursed me far more for my luggage that they've damaged (we're talking about thousands here).

And frankly it shouldn't be a factor that the jacket cost what it cost. LH made a mistake, and they should make the passenger whole. If there was a limit regarding reimbursement, the crew should've communicated that limit clearly (like the credit card companies do on lost luggage insurance, etc.).

$500 is par for the course for a professional looking sport coat for an important meeting, if not on the lower side. I assume OP didn't have time to bargain hunt in the Bahrain Filine's Basement.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:07 am

[the guy that got my jacket even got my number from Lufthansa while he was in Saudi Arabia and called me]

Also, weird breach of privacy on LH's part? I appreciate the gesture, but I'm not comfortable with the knowledge that LH/LX can give my contact information to another passenger.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I had a very important governmental meeting early the next morning and the crew and ground staff told me to purchase a new one
Did you write down the name of the flight attendant, who gave away your jacket?

Number one rule of any airline contract employee: get rid of the complaining passenger by being nice, apologetic in order to convince the passenger to take the complaint to somebody else. Verbal words are just verbal words. Apparently this has worked for Lufthansa. You have fallen for it.
nancypants and schlang like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:19 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
In case of lost/delayed baggage LH will reimburse up to 50% of the cost of outer clothing, with an option to return the purchase to LH for a full refund IIRC.

https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/baggage-irregularities
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:29 am

I didn't know there was fine print on this.

I think LH should still fully reimburse because of what the FA said to the passenger. Every employee of LH is a representative, and if they say one thing, LH should stand by their word. And if the response is that the company is too large, that LH can't possibly manage what every employee says in this regard, that's their problem. They need to train their employees better.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: BA,LH,LY,OK
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
In case of lost/delayed baggage LH will reimburse up to 50% of the cost of outer clothing, with an option to return the purchase to LH for a full refund IIRC.

https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/baggage-irregularities
I think the 50% is only for delayed luggage, not for lost

This reminds me of a funny story, about 10 years ago my luggage was left behind on a BOS-FRA flight. they told us the luggage would arrive the day after and we should purchase items and would get reimbursed (Never mentioned the 50% rule...)

I was for some reason cheap on myself and only bought a T-shirt, socks and underwear (a total of 25e), after a couple of days I was at the airport and requested my refund, the guy at the desk started making a bunch of phone calls (In German...so I didn't understand), after about 15 min of waiting for him the finish his calls he stated "We usually only pay 50% of the price, but you were so...."Economical" (afraid to say cheap I assume)...that I got special authorization to pay you 100%"

I understand the 50% refund issue for delayed flights if you get you luggage eventually, as people probably take advantage on the situation and buy expensive items. but lost luggage should be 100%
Agneisse likes this.

Last edited by photographer2012; Mar 3, 2019 at 7:56 am
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by photographer2012
I think the 50% is only for delayed luggage, not for lost
Their standard policy is 50% if you keep the emergency items you purchased, excluding underwear, if you volunteer to return the emergency items IME they pay the claim in full.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thbe

Social media can be helpful, but that is not likely. Almost everything on social media is faked. In this forum there is a small part of flyertalk and a much much bigger part of liartalk. Good companies don‘t want to let liars and cheaters get away with their criminal actions. That can also turn against honest travelers. Most people still think, that lies are good as long as they help them. That they are just part of normal competition. But the truth is, that lies make the life of all of us more difficult.
Lets cut to the chase

Would’nt it just be correct for the purser to file a full & proper report of what happened & then It would or should have been resolved properly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.