Search

LOT lost luggage - question regarding reimbursement of expenses

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
LOT lost luggage - question regarding reimbursement of expenses

Hey everyone,

I flew with LO on a DUS-WAW-BUD routing last Friday (8.2) and, upon arriving in BUD, my checked bag was nowhere to be seen. I filed a PIR and got a file reference from the GH company (Menzies) that services LO at BUD.

I've heard LO is notoriously stingy with reimbursements of expenses (their website even claims their liability only covers $100 for bag delay, which is not compliant with any regulation to my knowledge), but fortunately I have additional coverage through the AmEx Platinum travel insurance (up to 400€ after 4 hours + 400€ for every subsequent 48 hours).

I have another flight next Thursday (14.2) and I will obviously need not just clothing, but also a suitcase to carry said clothing in. Would I be able to claim reimbursement for the suitcase I will have to purchase in case I do not get my bag back by Thursday from LO or from the travel insurance? It is my understanding that the AmEx insurance covers anything in excess of what the primary party at fault (LO) does not cover.

Please move this thread if it better fits somewhere else.

Many thanks in advance!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
My rule of thumb is never to spend anything which I would not spend myself were it not covered by the carrier or my own travel insurance.

1. More than likely that your bag shows up. This is two short-haul segments and the bag will likely turn up quite quickly. Thus, I would purchase day-by-day. Certainly no additional case until 13.2.
2. I would contact LO directly and ask this question and then ask to have the answer put in your PNR notes.

I suspect you well know what will happen. LO will cancel day-by-day necessities, but balk at a new case.

However, since you have insurance, if you are certain that it will cover these expenses, simply make the claim to LO and, when denied, submit the claim to Amex along with a copy of the denial from LO. You could, of course, fight with LO about it, but so long as you have private coverage, no reason to bother.

Last edited by Often1; Feb 10, 2019 at 8:01 am
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Often1
My rule of thumb is never to spend anything which I would not spend myself were it not covered by the carrier or my own travel insurance.

1. More than likely that your bag shows up. This is two short-haul segments and the bag will likely turn up quite quickly. Thus, I would purchase day-by-day. Certainly no additional case until 13.2.
2. I would contact LO directly and ask this question and then ask to have the answer put in your PNR notes.

I suspect you well know what will happen. LO will cancel day-by-day necessities, but balk at a new case.

However, since you have insurance, if you are certain that it will cover these expenses, simply make the claim to LO and, when denied, submit the claim to Amex along with a copy of the denial from LO. You could, of course, fight with LO about it, but so long as you have private coverage, no reason to bother.
That's my strategy; the only claim that might be iffy is a jacket, however it is most certainly a necessity in the winter - I'm almost certain LO will deny that claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.