Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight delay compensation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Braniq
That might be, however LX response is usually within one day, I though for LH does not care about status...
Sent a mail to LX on friday and up to now no response
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braniq

Last time it took them ~1 week to respond. If you got your case ID, just call them in 2 weeks, dont send another e-mail.
Thank you. Are phone agents able to do anything regarding these compensation claims?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by poisson
Thank you. Are phone agents able to do anything regarding these compensation claims?
IME better to keep everything in writing........ avoids He said.... She said....
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
I have a question on this topic.

I had a flight 30 Nov GVA-FRA-OSL. I selected a specific connection, buying a J fare instead of a D fare that was available on other connections, due to where I needed to be at what time.

GVA-FRA was delayed 30 min. The reason given by the captain was due to de-icing at the airport where they had started earlier that day (not at GVA).

I then missed my connection to OSL because (1) we had a remote stand far away from the terminal, (2) the gate for the connecting flight was far away and (3) they did not wait for connecting pax. I eventually reached 3 hours later than I should have.

I have had a couple of email exchanges with LH and they refuse to provide any compensation. I did request this on the basis that (1) I arrived late (2) the transfer could have been better managed and (3) I bought a more expensive fare for the sole reason that I wanted to arrive at the chosen time and had I wanted to arrive later I could have saved money and bought a cheaper ticket.

They keep claiming this was a weather related delay and therefore they are under no obligation to do anything. Apart from the fact that this sets a poor impression for any future travel, am I justified in continuing to demand some sort of compensation beyond an apology, and if so, how do I go about it? Can I verify whether the de-icing delay was due to inclement weather or other factors?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Weather is often, but not always, cited as exceptional circumstances.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No. EC 261/2004 compensation. Not only deicing, but the logistics of the transfer seem to be exactly the sort of thing which amounts to no viable claim. Presumably, a remote stand would not have been used had there been a closer gate. Had they held your flight at FRA and had you been one of the other OSL-bound passengers, you would then be complaining that the flight had been held.

However, for future reference, the delay did entitle you to cancel your more expensive ticket for a full refund and to purchase the new FRA-OSL at whatever cheaper fare bucket you had available. That may or may not have been a good option in your circumstance on your date, but it is always an option under the Regulation even if there is no compensation.

Having let the opportunity pass, I would make a claim to LH for a refund of the fare diffeence, having nothing to do with EC 261/2004. I doubt that will succeed either, but it seems more viable than what you have now.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Fantastic news! I received the following response from Lufthansa just an hour ago.

We regret that your flight from Chicago to Munich was delayed. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

As we want to show our commitment to customer service, we are glad to offer a compensation amounting to EUR 600 which is equivalent to USD 676 in accordance with the EU Regulation 261/2004. Kindly forward your complete bank details such as the routing number, account number, bank name and address. Once received, we will send the payment to your account without further notice. We ask for your understanding as this will take up to two weeks to be processed.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
No. EC 261/2004 compensation. Not only deicing, but the logistics of the transfer seem to be exactly the sort of thing which amounts to no viable claim. Presumably, a remote stand would not have been used had there been a closer gate. Had they held your flight at FRA and had you been one of the other OSL-bound passengers, you would then be complaining that the flight had been held.

However, for future reference, the delay did entitle you to cancel your more expensive ticket for a full refund and to purchase the new FRA-OSL at whatever cheaper fare bucket you had available. That may or may not have been a good option in your circumstance on your date, but it is always an option under the Regulation even if there is no compensation.

Having let the opportunity pass, I would make a claim to LH for a refund of the fare diffeence, having nothing to do with EC 261/2004. I doubt that will succeed either, but it seems more viable than what you have now.
Thanks - did not know I had this option. I did ask for compensation on both accounts, and from the replies it does seem like they don't actually bother to read what I wrote. Although to me the logistics of the transfer is exactly why they are at fault. Btw on the inbound sector a few days before that, we were delayed at MUC waiting for connecting pax...
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by athome
Where are the 2 hours coming from?? Any proof that 2 hours are relevant for a long haul?
Your are correct, it is 4 hours on flights more than 3,500 Kilometers
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

My $676 showed up in my checking account about a week after sending Lufthansa my account information.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Originally Posted by poisson
Hello, I was flying ORD-MUC-OTP. My ORD-MUC flight was delayed by 3 hours because the aircraft left MUC late (not sure why it left late).

I ended up missing my connecting MUC-OTP flight by about 15min. This flight was scheduled to arrive ...ould I be due compensation for this delay?
Save yourself your valuable time and nerves, it is not worth it.
LH rebooked you for free and gave you 10€.
You are entitled for a meal, drinks and extra expenses while waiting for your new flight. If you have purchased those by yourself and have receipts you could claim the reimbursement to LH. That's all.
As a last posibility, try to get some extra miles too! Normally M&M would credit 5000 miles for such irregularity.
Believe me, I just went to court for 3 similar cases with LH. It is just too much trouble and there is a possibility you get zero inithe end!
Safe travels!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kai.lileboo
Save yourself your valuable time and nerves, it is not worth it.
LH rebooked you for free and gave you 10€.
You are entitled for a meal, drinks and extra expenses while waiting for your new flight. If you have purchased those by yourself and have receipts you could claim the reimbursement to LH. That's all.
As a last posibility, try to get some extra miles too! Normally M&M would credit 5000 miles for such irregularity.
Believe me, I just went to court for 3 similar cases with LH. It is just too much trouble and there is a possibility you get zero inithe end!
Safe travels!
LOL, I've already got the 600EUR in my account. LH was surprisingly easy to work with. There was no argument or anything like that. They just responded saying they would send me 600EUR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.