Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Istanbul new airport - where is LH operating come Jan 2019?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Istanbul new airport - where is LH operating come Jan 2019?

Have a flight on Jan 3 IST-FRA. No world on LH as to which airport it will be operating from.

TK has confirmed that all flights on TK metal will transfer to ISL on Jan 1. Phoned M&M US line and answer was "not sure". Will be back in Europe next week maybe will have to phone up again as I find that M&M agents in Europe sometimes know more.

Wonder if anyone has a word from LH?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I'm also interested in this but for LO: I'm doing WAW-IST on JAN 1 and the return leg on JAN 6.

I was 50-50 on choosing TK instead of LO for this, but the LO return flight was at a slightly more convenient time (I'm sure I'll end up regretting this decision!).
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
As far as I heard, it was first announced that on 28th OCT all flights will be transferred to a new airport and the old will be shut down during the night. That did not happen, and now TK said they would move to a new airport on 1st January which is really not so good date, maybe they wanna do it that day, as there are fewer flights. I am sure that all airlines will move at the same time to the new builing, as the goverment said and the IST code will stay the same, the code ISL is temporary and will not be used once it starts operating. As the code will be the same, probably the airlines will only adjust the times to new flying hours maybe +-5'.
For you as a passanger is the same, the only thing is that you will need twice as much to get to the centre of town as you used to.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Seeing how the airport looked like a couple of weeks ago, I doubt it's possible.

I expect full force ISL operations no sooner than mid 2019
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH only has 2x daily flights to IST from FRA, and rather high standards and no pressure from the Turkish government to move to ISL, so they will wait this one out till they really have to move.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say that there is no chance that LH or for that matter 98.5% of TK's flights will be operating from the new airport on that date.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by oliver2002
LH only has 2x daily flights to IST from FRA, and rather high standards and no pressure from the Turkish government to move to ISL, so they will wait this one out till they really have to move.
Called German senator line and answer was that LH will continue to operate at Atatuk until further notice.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb

Called German senator line and answer was that LH will continue to operate at Atatuk until further notice.
As per today 3rd Jan. TK and all other airlines are still operating from Atatürk, theTKannoincement was false. Nobody moved to the new airport so far, except there are 6 daily flights operating domestic TK routes.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Let's hope this does not follow and example of the "new" Berlin airport!!!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
It wasn’t false. It’s just that a delay has been announced until March. They are intending to move all the equipment between the current IST to ISL over a day or two. Once TK move the new airport will become IST and the other airlines will fly into ISL (Attatürk).
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by iLied
It wasn’t false. It’s just that a delay has been announced until March. They are intending to move all the equipment between the current IST to ISL over a day or two. Once TK move the new airport will become IST and the other airlines will fly into ISL (Attatürk).
If you announce with pride the new airport will be fully operational by 30th October and afterwards that all TK flights will move to the new airport on 1st January and non of those happen, than it is fake news. TK hasn't announced not confirmed anything after the date passed, so I believe the airport will not be operational until the end of 2019. Let's see. BER was finished years ago but nobody confirms anything when the actual flights will start.
You cannot move 1000 flights + equipment and offices in one night.
Anyway, I like Atatürk and it is easy and cheap to go to the centre.

Last edited by kai.lileboo; Jan 3, 2019 at 7:26 am Reason: Error
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by kai.lileboo
If you announce with pride the new airport will be fully operational by 30th October and afterwards that all TK fligjt will move to the new airport on 1st January and non of those happen, than it is fake news. TK hasn't announced not confirmed anything so I believe the airport will not be operational until the end of 2019. Let's see. BER I finished years ago but nobody confirms anything when the actual flights will start.
You cannot move 1000 flights + equipment and offices in one night.
Anyway, I like Atatürk and it is easy and cheap to go to the centre.
It’s a major construction project, delays happen. It can’t be fake news if it’s what is intended but a behind the scenes reason delays it. I think TK are allowing the government to do all the announcing but they’ll be working with airport authorities to make the move. Well that’s what they intend to do. It’s going to be interesting if they can pull it off.

I get the impression that they intend to build a lot more there and just getting TK out now should decongest Atatürk considerably already. It’s going to be a slow process but it’ll look nice once it’s complete.

I think a lot of places have learnt the lessons from Heathrow T5 debarkle.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
There is no infrastructure at ISL to support major ops for TK. The MRO ops is still in IST, the catering facility is in IST. You can't move a hub to a new airport without the other bits in place. That said the ISL airport is in operation right now in a quasi test mode with a few flights. More here: TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Please continue the discussion of the finer points in the above thread.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod M&M forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.