Search

Which is better to Paris from San Francisco-LH or SWISS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Which is better to Paris from San Francisco-LH or SWISS

Flying in January from SFO to Paris either via SWISS or LH in BIZ

SFO-MUC-CDG (all LH metal). A380 to A320 however the layover is only 40 minutes

SFO-Zurich-CDG (SWISS metal) 777 to CS300. BIZ class of 777 lacking?

Which is the better experience here on the long haul flights-777 or A380?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
It's a matter of taste really.

If you travel alone, you can get single seats with both aisle and window access, but other than that I would always prefer the A389 to a noisy B777.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: *G
Same as above. If traveling solo, the non-paired seats offered on Swiss is clearly the differentiator.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Define better. I like 100% direct aisle configurations and I also like genuine flat beds but I don't care so much about the presence of a suite door.

Schedule times?

Price?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Flying with someone. Price is same 70k miles. Times are better on SWISS

7:50pm-5pm with a hour layover in Zurich

9:50pm-7pm with 40 minutes layover in Munich
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:21 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by ADeutsch
Flying with someone. Price is same 70k miles. Times are better on SWISS

7:50pm-5pm with a hour layover in Zurich

9:50pm-7pm with 40 minutes layover in Munich
Everybody has individual preferences. I for my part always try to select itins that depart the US as late in the evening as possible hoping to get as much sleep on the flight across the pond as possible. As a direct result the arrival time in Europe is later in the afternoon, thus less time to kill before crashing w/jetlag in the evening. Therefore, my preference would be to take the later departure from SFO going via MUC (and I don't like the LX business class seats where your feet are all "locked in" when trying to sleep).
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:19 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
It really depends on your preference.
I for one would take LX J ocer LH J any day. Especially the new J on the B77W.
I prefer Zurich airport over the german counterparts, although I must admit Munich is a close second place.
So for me the case would be clear: Take LX over ZRH. New cabin with more private seats (depending on your selection). And the new beautiful A lounges in ZRH, as well as the still amazing E lounges.

Also I'm Swiss, so I might be a little biased.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:28 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Since you will be travelling on award tickets business award availability might also play a part. I have checked random dates in January and on many dates when two business awards are available they appear to be available both on LH and LX. However, on some dates only one or the other is available or not at all.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art
And the new beautiful A lounges in ZRH, as well as the still amazing E lounges.

Also I'm Swiss, so I might be a little biased.
Totally agree concerning the E lounges, despite the downgraded food selection and quality.

One probably has to be Swiss to call the A lounges “beautiful” and to refer to your view biased is very honest.

Last edited by worldclubber; Dec 1, 2018 at 1:36 am
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:47 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The OP will only have one hour in ZRH or 40 mins in MUC. THe quality of lounges may not be a deciding factor.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The OP will only have one hour in ZRH or 40 mins in MUC. THe quality of lounges may not be a deciding factor.
That is very true.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
I will go for Swiss as well. Better service and seat. Not to mention that LH J is always pretty much full. On the other side i have seen LX J many times half empty.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by cas_de
Everybody has individual preferences. I for my part always try to select itins that depart the US as late in the evening as possible hoping to get as much sleep on the flight across the pond as possible. As a direct result the arrival time in Europe is later in the afternoon, thus less time to kill before crashing w/jetlag in the evening. Therefore, my preference would be to take the later departure from SFO going via MUC (and I don't like the LX business class seats where your feet are all "locked in" when trying to sleep).
I agree with that and would add that I usually prefer service on LH over LX. LH seems to be slightly more personal, if you will, to me.
Add a preference for the quiet A380 (despite its large J cabin) over a 777 and the better times and it’s a clear win for LH here. But ultimately all comes down to nuances of personal preference - there is not really a bad choice here.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
swiss defenitely, the 777 c class on LX is better than A380 on LH.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by worldclubber

Totally agree concerning the E lounges, despite the downgraded food selection and quality.

One probably has to be Swiss to call the A lounges “beautiful” and to refer to your view biased is very honest.
Oh come on, the new lounges are beautiful.

Well catered?
no.

Too busy?
yes.

But they are beautiful

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
well I'd rather hope they aren't, at those connection times
I'd sooner worry about option to take a later flight to PAR in case of incoming delay, but that seems to be covered in both MUC and ZRH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.