Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa or Turkish?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Lufthansa or Turkish?

Hello there,

Please accept my apologies if I am posting in the wrong thread.
I will need to fly into Munich in January, I have the following award ticket options. P.S. I will be flying domestically from Atlanta before connecting
1. Turkish: from IAH-IST-FRA, on their 777/A321, with a 10pm arrival, overnight layover in FRA before early AM flight into MUCH
2. Lufthansa from IAH-FRA-MUC, arriving at 2pm (747-8)
3. Lufthansa from EWR-FRA-MUCH arriving at 2pm (again on 747-8)

Which would be the better options?I will be using either Aeroplan or United miles to book the ticket. Never flown Lufthansa or Turkish J, trying to figure out which would be a better experience.

Thank You
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:59 am

Food and service will be better on TK but.... why in hell would you even consider option 1? Going three hours in the wrong direction, then 3 hours back from IST to FRA, then having an overnight in FRA just to take a 50 minute flight to MUC next morning?

I'd take 2 or 3 any day over the IST option with TK. IAH or EWR to FRA won't make any difference in terms of service. I'd probably go IAH to have more time to sleep. The EWR flight is really short and find it quite difficult to get decent rest.Then use the rest of the day to explore MUC downtown, have some nice beers and drop for a good night sleep and a fresh start into the next day. If you stay overnight in FRA after that ride and have an early flight to MUC, that first day will be not that enjoyable... at least for me.

And service, food and comfort will be ok on LH. Not outstanding, but solid and totally acceptable for J.

I only book TK if I need to go East or South-East from middle Europe. I would not go out of my way to fly with them - even though the IST lounge is fantastic.

Last edited by fassy; Nov 15, 2018 at 1:46 pm
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: LH M&M FTL
TK is moving to the new IST airport in January, nice chance to check out brand new mega-hub and possible DXB rival.
It really depends on how much you are willing to partake in the learning curve of all the staff there

Have you considered taking the direct EWR-MUC on LH A350 or that's not option for your award booking?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:04 pm

In contrast to fassy above, I prefer service on LH by a mile. Not servile, but usually silently competent and thus classy in a very understated way. I’d also probably go for the connection through IAH to prolong flying time in order to increase potential sleeping time.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:40 pm

Well, for me service on LH has been always ok. Can’t complain. Consistent but not outstanding (only in F, but there exceptional)

TK cabin crew in J was always great for me. And for the meal service, Again LH is ok and I won’t complain (like I do about SK horrible meals), but I think TK is better while OS outshines both.

Anyhow, it is just a flight. I’d take the shortest convinent connection on a major carrier and be fine.

Last edited by fassy; Nov 15, 2018 at 4:58 pm
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Skywards
Why is the ATL-Fra-Muc routing not an option if you're based in ATL? Shower and breakfast in fra and land rested and refreshed in muc?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

thank you for the feedback, makes sense.
I took your advice and booked the IAH-FRA-MUC route. I wanted to try TK J class, and was mainly looking forward to exploring the new airport but looking back, not worth it for such a short trip!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ondraondra

Have you considered taking the direct EWR-MUC on LH A350 or that's not option for your award booking?
Not available for points. Thank you

"
Why is the ATL-Fra-Muc routing not an option if you're based in ATL? Shower and breakfast in fra and land rested and refreshed in muc? "

Option not available at this time, hence routing via IAH or EWR.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: *G
TK food is better. TK Service is hit or miss. TK Seating is slightly better, as seats are parallel and do not converge in at the feet.
Neither TK nor LH have seating arrangement where all seats are guaranteed direct aisle access.
TK lounge can be more impressive. But depending on time, usually both TK and LH lounges are hugely overcrowded.

Neither are an "occasion" worth pursuing. Only X-factor would be having an upper deck on 747-L. Otherwise pick whichever has more convenient times.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
TK is a bit more bling bling, but LH more consistent and has the much better routing and safety record. So the LH flight has a lot more going for it.
janehoya likes this.

Last edited by worldclubber; Nov 17, 2018 at 12:54 am
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
I’ve not used either but as has been stated, in this case LH is better as you’ll be nearer to MUC than flying via ISL (later to become IST). If you’re intending to fly to Southern Europe, Middle East or Turkey, then you could use TK and explore ISL then.

Whatever your final choice both boast the two most direct connections in Europe (Frankfurt then Attatürk)
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

thanks everyone, decided to go with IAH-FRA-MUC. First time on 747, quite excited! lounges in FRA are good from what i read, earlier arrival into Munich, and long enough first flight for some rest! will hopefully post a report soon after!
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by ravigoteti
thanks everyone, decided to go with IAH-FRA-MUC. First time on 747, quite excited! lounges in FRA are good from what i read, earlier arrival into Munich, and long enough first flight for some rest! will hopefully post a report soon after!
i recommend sitting on the upper deck. More intimate cabin and nicely quiet.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: LH M&M FTL
I second that. My first time on 747 was also LH - upper deck J makes for a exciting and intimate experience
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by ondraondra
I second that. My first time on 747 was also LH - upper deck J makes for a exciting and intimate experience
Some years ago, the upperdeck was much nicer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.