Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Senator companion award rules

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
I am actively learning German... just in the early stages .

Mrs Lewis42 just got herself a M&M CC in Germany.

I do know Revolut, I’m a big fintech fan!

thanks for the details! Any idea if something like this works with N26?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Lewis42
I am actively learning German... just in the early stages .

Mrs Lewis42 just got herself a M&M CC in Germany.

I do know Revolut, I’m a big fintech fan!

thanks for the details! Any idea if something like this works with N26?
No idea, but Revolut generates 100k miles a month for me. The only thing you need is a big spending limit on the Revolut account (this requires a proof that you own certain funds) and bills to pay to whomever.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
You then will be aware that you can top us the Revolut account using a M&M CC, such top-up is considered as regular CC spend and then such Revolut account can be used for bank transfers.
Hmmm I remember getting a very angry phone call from DKB when I used by german M&M credit card to transfer money back into my german account (which I did by "mistake", I wasn't looking to do any manufactured spending but just returning some funds that I though I would have needed on the CC but ended up not needing). Why would it be different with Revolut? Or have rules changed? My experience is from 2015.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Hmmm I remember getting a very angry phone call from DKB when I used by german M&M credit card to transfer money back into my german account (which I did by "mistake", I wasn't looking to do any manufactured spending but just returning some funds that I though I would have needed on the CC but ended up not needing). Why would it be different with Revolut? Or have rules changed? My experience is from 2015.
I have no idea what made them angry. I transfer funds frequently back from this CC as I use(d) it as a cash storage when they were still paying good interest. Revolut however is certainly different. It is a normal merchant and DKB receives the regular merchant fees. I would assume they love it. Revolut is the one who should not love it, they, however, see the top up via CC as a part of their business model. All in detail on vielfliegertreff.de
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I have no idea what made them angry. I transfer funds frequently back from this CC as I use(d) it as a cash storage when they were still paying good interest. Revolut however is certainly different. It is a normal merchant and DKB receives the regular merchant fees.
This must be it. Regardless, I don't have the german card anymore and I am not motivated enough to see whether it would work with the new Dutch card
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, VIR Gold, BA silver
Thank you guys.
@malmostoso: I don't have millions of miles, what I have is enough for 2-3 long haul business class flights (depends on where to... I need to be in SYD next year). Doubling it is a big difference... Paying taxes with miles for the short hauls is not a bad idea at all, I'll check it out the next time I fly for leisure.
@sophialite: I am not comparing, just giving an example, other than the companion award for GS all the other conditions are true for 1K as well afaik. I'll never be HON. Even being a SEN doing ~150K a year is hard for me with my family. And yes - upgrading to F on LX is great, but I can do it only once in a blue moon if I want to use my vouchers...
@N1003U: Thank you so much for a great explanation.
I agree that getting a status with the airline you fly the most makes more sense, I am based in TLV and fly mostly to the US, UA would make sense as well so it's only a matter of deciding which airline to fly with.
Flying economy to Europe a few times a year would yield the same service with any *G (IE: checkin, boarding, SEN lounge). The only difference I could think of would be that as a SEN, LH group airlines will do their best to give me an empty seat next to me (which is a really nice thing, I admit).
I care for the upgrade vouchers because it would have been nice to upgrade myself to F every once in a while, especially on ultra long hauls (west coas US, far east, etc...). As for the award availability: I really never had the chance to get it, I will once my wife will join one of my flights next year...
And yes - LH is my last option for travel these days. I take only when it's either that or swimming...
@Flying Lawyer: Great idea but unfortunately I am not such a big roller, just an engineer at a large corporation.

In any case - you guys clearly showed some interesting benefits I was not aware of, thanks!
athome, N1003U and malmostoso like this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by malmostoso
This must be it. Regardless, I don't have the german card anymore and I am not motivated enough to see whether it would work with the new Dutch card
Seems basically like manufactured spend, which isn’t a solid long term plan when all the companies catch up to what up you’re doing, but great for short term points accrual (assuming you don’t mind the risk of getting blacklisted).
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sophialite

Seems basically like manufactured spend, which isn’t a solid long term plan when all the companies catch up to what up you’re doing, but great for short term points accrual (assuming you don’t mind the risk of getting blacklisted).
It hat nothing o do with funds going in circles but paying real invoices with real money. The only difference is that you have the official opportunity to feed this bank account with a Credit Card (or in my case a Credit Card literally used like a Debit Card). I do not know why this FinTec creates the possibility but they must have had some business idea behind it. I arranged the upload limit with them and the offered me a high six digit EUR upload figure. Their offer, their choice, their responsibility. The CC issuer is happy because they get the regular merchant's fees (and not the smallish fees for cash withdrawals).
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:14 am

Last edited by thbe; Nov 7, 2018 at 12:28 am
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
To be fair, Flying Lawyer, you are probably paying higher bills and working at a higher financial level than many of the rest of us. But I will look at these options, thanks for the tips.

I thought one of the restrictions of the Senator Companion Award was that it could only be issued for a small group of Lufthansa Group airlines, not every Star Alliance airline member. Apologies if I missed this when skim reading this thread (and getting side tracked by the Revolut thing above).
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by Concerto
I thought one of the restrictions of the Senator Companion Award was that it could only be issued for a small group of Lufthansa Group airlines, not every Star Alliance airline member.
That is correct. Companion award only on LH/LX/OS/EW/LG/LO/JP/SN/OU metal
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Oh really? I honestly thought it was restricted to a small handful of the above mentioned LH Group airlines, which I recollect as not including LO, JP or OU. I wish I could remember where I saw this, but when you're looking at so much stuff you don't think to note it all down, or register where it was.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:51 am

You'll find it here: https://www.miles-and-more.com/onlin...l=en&cid=18002
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: TK, QR, UA
Changing the return date of only one award ticket on the same itinerary

Hello, we are about to book 3 TATL award tickets in LH Business using Mrs. objektiw's SEN points on the same itinerary to take advantage of the companion award and the child discount. However, there is a chance I may need to come back earlier than Mrs. and the little one. Is it possible to change the return date of only my ticket in the same itinerary after the outbound flights were completed (against the 50 Euro change fee). Thanks in advance.

Last edited by objektiw; Jan 5, 2019 at 9:46 am Reason: Clarification
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by objektiw
Hello, we are about to book 3 TATL award tickets in LH Business using Mrs. objektiw's SEN points on the same itinerary to take advantage of the companion award and the child discount. However, there is a chance I may need to come back earlier than Mrs. and the little one. Is it possible to change the return date of only my ticket in the same itinerary after the outbound flights were completed (against the 50 Euro change fee). Thanks in advance.
at least by the rules, on a companion award, no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.