Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using M&M for star alliance upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Using M&M for star alliance upgrade

Hi all, I’ll be flying from JNB to PER next year (flights not available to book yet) and have about 60k Lufthansa points to use.

If I’m reading Lufthansa’s site right, then it is a 40000 point cost to upgrade from economy to business on that route, correct?

Now how does booking star partner upgrades work? My only experience is with Qantas and their terrible bid system that can’t be used on partner upgrades. Is availability limited or anything else I need to know?

thank you
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:33 pm

I can't even find South Africa to Australia on the upgrade chart... In fact Oceania doesn't appear at all! The 40000 from Southern Africa is to Southeast Asia (the ONLY destination given from Southern Africa which seems weird) If that is correct anyway it would only seemingly apply to Y and B booking classes... for the same upgrade from other booking classes it seems to be 55000? Star Alliance upgrade rewards are IIRC notorious for often requiring high booking classes.... I can't comment on availability, I started looking at them and the high cost/high booking classes required put me off....
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trooper
I can't even find South Africa to Australia on the upgrade chart... In fact Oceania doesn't appear at all! The 40000 from Southern Africa is to Southeast Asia (the ONLY destination given from Southern Africa which seems weird) If that is correct anyway it would only seemingly apply to Y and B booking classes... for the same upgrade from other booking classes it seems to be 55000? Star Alliance upgrade rewards are IIRC notorious for often requiring high booking classes.... I can't comment on availability, I started looking at them and the high cost/high booking classes required put me off....
I'm looking at this:

55000 miles is fine with me too, I want to burn up all my Lufthansa miles. I will be likely on the highest fare structure anyway. I just want to mainly know about how the upgrade process and how it works - when I get confirmation etc. Or else whether I should be booking award seats outright on other airlines or indeed paying for J.

Thanks
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcwobby
Hi all, I’ll be flying from JNB to PER next year (flights not available to book yet) and have about 60k Lufthansa points to use.

If I’m reading Lufthansa’s site right, then it is a 40000 point cost to upgrade from economy to business on that route, correct?

Now how does booking star partner upgrades work?
You need an expensive B or Y economy fare on South African airlines. So useless for most people

https://flights.staralliance.com/en/
https://www.staralliance.com/en/upgrade-awards

UA forum thread, but the process is the same--->How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
[QUOTE=mcwobby;30331459 Or else whether I should be booking award seats outright on other airlines or indeed paying for J.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Best use of M&M Miles is award tickets & the availability is shown on their website.
trooper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.