Wiki Posts
Search

Same e-ticket number after reissue?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Same e-ticket number after reissue?

Dear All,

Am seeking advice on the following matter. I have recently made a date change in my (Expedia) booking on LH.com, paid the change fee and received an updated itinerary. Conspicuously, the e-ticket number remained the same.

Called Lufthansa and asked why the e-ticket hasn't been reissued. The agent said that, on their end, all looks good, and the e-ticket may have been reissued but with an identical number because the booking class remained the same.

Is there any truth to the agent's claim that reissue need not change the number (or that changes within the same booking class do not necessitate reissue)? Or else, could it be that LH just cannot reissue although they made the change and I must contact Expedia? (The option of rebooking was offered on LH.com.)

Thank you in advance for any thought!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you just change the date and nothing else the ticket gets stickered, not reissued. If the agent says all is ok the the ticket is fine. If tickets don't align to the reservation the nor usually has a warning message which the agent see immediately.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
If you just change the date and nothing else the ticket gets stickered, not reissued.
Yes, it was just a date change. I didn't know that reissue isn't always compulsory -- thanks a lot for clarifying that!
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:12 am

Location: CGN (Cologne, Germany), travel agent, hardcore Sabre user
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, LH, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, AX Centurion
A ticket reissue is mandatory if the price changes, even by just 1 Cent. If it does not the change fee can be collected by issuing an EMD. In this case, stickering the ticket is sufficient, and the ticket number will not change.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jreichel
A ticket reissue is mandatory if the price changes, even by just 1 Cent. If it does not the change fee can be collected by issuing an EMD. In this case, stickering the ticket is sufficient, and the ticket number will not change.
It's getting strange, then.... The fare (not taxes) for my new dates was higher by 40 USD (in the same booking class). But, during the rebooking, I have only been asked to pay the change fee (I knew what the change fee would be, and the payment LH.com was requesting exactly corresponded to that), so perhaps LH.com missed the existence of a fare difference.

LH.com doesn't let me see any receipts (this, perhaps, having to do with the booking being Expedia's), so cannot see the EDM record.... Expedia, on the other hand, doesn't show any record of payments other than that of the original fare.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:07 pm

@hopeful_me: None of my business, but if everything's OK with your booking, why do you bother?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
[MENTION=292862]If everything's OK with your booking, why do you bother?
OCD

Would never fully trust what a single agent said if that counters my intuition. However, as oliver2002 and jreichel very kindly pointed out above, ticket reissue isn't mandatory for all changes, which I didn't know.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can search for tickets on most carriers on the Saudia airlines website. Another one that more recently has implemented this functionality is Garuda. I know this may seem like strange advice for a LH ticket but try it as a way to see your current ticket.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can search for tickets on most carriers on the Saudia airlines website.
I did....and it shows fine (old e-ticket no, open for use). I feel pretty reassured I think the value of this thread, for posterity, would be in making public the fact that not all changes require reissue. I somehow managed to go through 20 years of flying without picking that up
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think this is the electronic analogue of agents adding the little sticky thing covering a single line to paper tickets, back in the day......
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Yes, still remember those.... "Stickering," nice word.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:53 am

"Stickering" is jargon for ticket revalidation, right?

@hopeful_me, no worries, you did the right thing to verify this, I know from experience bad things happen if you turn up at the airport with unsynced res/ticket, and it's not like the airlines are any proactive in informing you of this (although they know you will have problems).

Note that on a UA-only itinerary, back when it was still visible on Saudia, it wouldn't even show the changed information in case of a simple revalidation, you would still see old dates/hours (although your ticket info did change on UA's system internally).
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think this is the electronic analogue of agents adding the little sticky thing covering a single line to paper tickets, back in the day......
It was not for the entire line, just flight number, date and status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.