Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Flying Prague to FRA in evening - FRA to ORD in morning - bags checked all the way??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Prague to FRA in evening - FRA to ORD in morning - bags checked all the way??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum

Flying from Prague to Frankfurt in the evening arriving at 7:25 pm on Lufthansa. Then to ORD on UA at 8:05 am the next morning. Can I check my bag all the way or will I have to pick up the bag in FRA and then recheck them in the morning?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is really an LH question. And the good news is, LH agents will typically ask whether you want to check bags through or pick them up at FRA.

Note this is NOT how UA handles it . . . their policy is to make you pick them up.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this is a question about LH policies will move this to the LH forum

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by JackieC2
Flying from Prague to Frankfurt in the evening arriving at 7:25 pm on Lufthansa. Then to ORD on UA at 8:05 am the next morning. Can I check my bag all the way or will I have to pick up the bag in FRA and then recheck them in the morning?
Should not be a problem at all based on my own experience...
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by vbroucek
Should not be a problem at all based on my own experience...
Quite a different experience here Check in issue: United flight departing 14 hours after Lufthansa on same ticket and UA rules don't allow for overnight bags at FRA (or anywhere).
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Quite a different experience here Check in issue: United flight departing 14 hours after Lufthansa on same ticket and UA rules don't allow for overnight bags at FRA (or anywhere).
Oh, my apologies... I should have kept more attention and realise the connection was to UA... My own experience was connecting SQ long haul to LH intra Europe...
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've connected to UA at FRA overnight twice in the past year or so and both times LH asked me whether I wanted to check through or pick up.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. One more question though this is a UA question. I'm assuming I will have boarding passes for the flight to ORD when I check in at Prague for the flights home. Do I need to stop at the UA counter or can I go right to the gate?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JackieC2
Thanks for the responses. One more question though this is a UA question. I'm assuming I will have boarding passes for the flight to ORD when I check in at Prague for the flights home. Do I need to stop at the UA counter or can I go right to the gate?
Don't assume anything ... most of the time you receive your second (and maybe third) BPs at the departure point ... but sometimes technology or security (SSSS or similar) prevents it ... if you don't receive your UA BP in PRG, then you can easily pick up one at an LH transfer desk when arriving in FRA ... and then go to the gate ...
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Don't assume anything ... most of the time you receive your second (and maybe third) BPs at the departure point ... but sometimes technology or security (SSSS or similar) prevents it ... if you don't receive your UA BP in PRG, then you can easily pick up one at an LH transfer desk when arriving in FRA ... and then go to the gate ...
and the UA gate might make you get another BP from them in the morning. I was even told once by the UA staff (contractors) that I had to get a physical BP instead of my mobile BP at FRA. The good news is that, as UAPremExecflyer noted, you will usually get a BP in PRG that will be enough to get you through security in the AM at FRA (I'm assuming that you will be staying at a hotel for the long layover).
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:43 am
Original Poster

I was only able to check the bag to FRA because of the 12 hour rule. My flights were 13 hours apart. United only allows layovers of 12 hours for checking bags. At least that is what I was told. LH in Prague tried to check me all the way thru and was unable to do so. Asked UA when I checked the bag in the morning and they told me it was because the flights were over 12 hours apart. Had to get the bag in FRA and bring it back to the airport after my overnight stay at the Hilton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.