Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking in hand baggage with Brussels Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Checking in hand baggage with Brussels Airlines

I have a Check&Go (hand baggage only) booking which contains 2 flights (VIE-BRU,BRU-EDI) with a 10 hour connection. My plan is to visit Brussels for the first time during the connection. I was going to pay for a luggage locker at the airport so that I don't have to carry my bag with me to the city, but I just noticed this on SN's website...

So it appears that I can check my hand baggage in at Vienna, meaning I'd only need to carry with me a small personal bag in the city. That is, of course, if they will check the bag all the way through to Edinburgh.

Has anyone checked their hand baggage in, and do they know if SN will check it through on a connection?

Many thanks
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I don't know about SN's policy but I wouldn't check a bag through with a long connection like that. There is far too much opportunity for theft. It would be more secure to use a luggage locker, if they exist at BRU. Check the airport's website for left luggage options.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dianne47
I don't know about SN's policy but I wouldn't check a bag through with a long connection like that. There is far too much opportunity for theft. It would be more secure to use a luggage locker, if they exist at BRU. Check the airport's website for left luggage options.
The bag will be almost empty on this journey (just a few shirts and jeans), as I'm only taking it to enable me to bring stuff back on the return.

Is theft a particular problem at BRU?!?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Not that I know about, I'm speaking as a former airline employee. Knowing what I know about ground operations, baggage storage between flights, etc. I wouldn't check a bag of mine this way.

I always err on the far side of caution. For one thing, if I'm checking a bag (rare) I have an "itinerary tag" attached to the bag handle with my full itinerary inside it. I also put an itinerary inside the suitcase, in an unlocked outer pocket if possible. I used to (among many other things) handle lost luggage at a hub airport. Back in those days destination tags were flimsy, that's no longer the case but I'm still overly cautious. We got "tag offs" all the time (again, probably rare now with the tyvek-style destination tags). I'm just super careful due to my airline experience on the "other side of the counter" so to speak.

I get my itinerary tags from magellans.com, these: https://www.magellans.com/itemdy00.aspx?T1=MLA316+RD&GASearchTerm=itinerary% 20tags&srchcat=SearchBox
headingwest likes this.

Last edited by Dianne47; Aug 13, 2018 at 4:31 pm
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Just to report back...

I had no problem in the morning checking in my luggage at VIE, which was checked right through to EDI late evening. This was perfect as I was able to spend the day in Brussels without the bag. I'd recommend this to anyone who has a long connection on one of these Check&Go fares. Enjoy Brussels!
yurtripper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.