Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380: Should I spend the extra 40k UA for F rather than J?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:21 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
A380: Should I spend the extra 40k UA for F rather than J?

I have a flight coming up from the US West Coast to Frankfurt. This month I've noticed great availability of J and F less than a few days out. I expect Business class to open at 60k on United's 787-9 (Polaris) and at 70k on LH's A380. If I wait until 2 days out I expect to see an A380 F seat open at 110k UA miles.

I need help deciding in advance whether to spend 60 or 70 or 110k. I have flown LH F on a 747 with the new seats and spent 5 fun hours at the FCT. Once.

Part of the value of F is the fancy food and drink, but I don't drink alcohol (not on principle, I just don't like it) and I don't like caviar. I will sleep half the flight. I don't need or want bath at the airport. I've had the car ride to the plane and I don't mind walking. In short, logic says the extra 40k is a poor value. Also, I could conceivably lose a J seat if I hold onto my Y seat waiting for F to open up. Although what I see this week is multiple J options every day.

I guess I'm here so you can talk me into splurging. I have well over 500k Chase points, so 40k is not a large fraction. And we all know that F seats are being eliminated on almost all carriers. This could be almost my last chance to fly F on miles. 110k seems high now, and it is high compared to the 67.5k I spent several years ago, but it might not seem high in a few years. On the other hand, the fact that I can't easily spend an extra 40k miles to move to F illustrates why airlines are eliminating F seats.

Assuming an F seat does appear, what would you decide?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
What we would do is probably essentially irrelevant for your choice, but I would take the F seat, as it is much better for sleeping and always has direct aisle access (sounds like you are traveling by yourself).

Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: LX SEN
If I was to fly alone, I would go with Polaris if I was sure that it was the new hard product (which I am not sure is the case on the 787s). But if it is the old United C product, I would go for LH J, and not wait for F, as you may otherwise get stuck in Y. Also, I do not believe that F food and drinks (without alcohol) is worth 40K. The bed and privacy in F are way above J on LH, but again I am not sure that it is worth 40k of your points.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by worldclubber
What we would do is probably essentially irrelevant for your choice, but I would take the F seat, as it is much better for sleeping and always has direct aisle access (sounds like you are traveling by yourself).

+ 1

On LH the difference from J to F is massive !
worldclubber and mmff like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:25 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
A380 F is my favourite LH F cabin. I’d pick A380 F any day.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:45 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
If I had never flown A380 in F I would pick F. Otherwise I would maybe pick F on a DAY flight FROM Frankfurt, not on a flight TO Frankfurt to enjoy the FCT. I wouldn't take F on night flights because I can sleep well enough in C.

HTB.
mario_s likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: United 1K
Only you can decide what the miles are worth to you, but I feel Lufthansa has one of the best F experiences in the skies.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
+1 for F, if you have plenty of miles.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
If you are male, be sure to fly LH F on the A380. They have onboard urinals in their washrooms.
superbilk likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:08 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by daniellam
If you are male, be sure to fly LH F on the A380. They have onboard urinals in their washrooms.
OK I'm sold. As expected. I was hoping for some good excuses to splurge, and looking out for Number 1 is classic. Splurging without splashing!

I'll tell my wife that those nuts on FT talked me into it.

I will walk to the FCT for my 5-hour layover to an intra-Europe flight. An FT'er explained how to do that for my LH 747 trip in F, which was my best trip ever.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Sounds like a plan!

Since your F trip on a LH 747 in F was your best trip ever, why did you even consider saving a few miles? Enjoy the A380!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:01 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
An FT'er explained how to do that for my LH 747 trip in F, which was my best trip ever.

Make sure to pick up a duck or two this time!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I'll tell my wife that those nuts on FT talked me into it.
Just buy her something nice on your return and she probably won't mind the 40k dent to the mileage account.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:28 am

My rule is: If I'm traveling alone, J on any respectable carrier is good enough. On a day flight to the west, e.g. EU-US I'm even fully okay with Economy (while a Premium Economy is a nice extra). For the night flight or in general going East, J with full lie flat is essential but as said, J works fine.

That way, I save the miles/points to take the wife in round-trip F several times a year. Happy wife, happy life - after all.

If you drown in miles/points/vouchers which expire, well, then I'd go for F any day.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by fassy

That way, I save the miles/points to take the wife in round-trip F several times a year. Happy wife, happy life - after all.
Excellent plan 👍

And your a Gentleman

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.