Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award flight or normal Booking? What makes more sense?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:15 pm
Moderator: SAS
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Award flight or normal Booking? What makes more sense?

Hi there

I'm looking for a relatively last minute flight from ZRH to MUC. Specifically the times are set:
23rd Jun LX1100 07:15 - 08:15 ZRH-MUC
24th Jun LX1105 13:50 - 14:45 MUC-ZRH

The flight will be for two ppl, including baggage. The total cost on the Swiss as well as LH website for those flights will be 1014.9 CHF, so 507.45 CHF per Person.

Now my family member traveling with me has a little more than 300k miles with m&m and he has just recently lost his status protecting them and he doesn't want to keept the credit card either, so I checked out what was available, and the same flights as mentioned above are available to be booked with m&m:

Mileage cost: 40'000 miles (20'000 per Person) and 178.10 CHF in taxes (89.05 CHF per Person)

That means we'd be saving 836.8 CHF and therefore redeeming miles at a value of 2.092 cents.

Is that worth it in your opinion?

Cheers

Nick
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: LH FTL
This is a pretty great use of miles in my opinion !..
Even better - ​you're not using your own miles haha
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by fanb
I second that. 2 cents per mile is very decent.

Obviously it depends as well on any potential other travel plans - would 300k vs 260k make a difference in where (s)he wants to travel with them?

Have safe travels

Primenumber
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:15 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fanb
Originally Posted by Primenumber
I second that. 2 cents per mile is very decent.

Obviously it depends as well on any potential other travel plans - would 300k vs 260k make a difference in where (s)he wants to travel with them?

Have safe travels

Primenumber
Thanks guys!

He probably already forgot about those 270k miles he now has left after booking the ZRH-MUC trip, even though I told him 20 minutes ago. If I don’t encourage him to use them they will probably just be unused for the next three years...
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:27 pm

Hey Nick Art,
Just see to it that they do not expire! You can fly very far very comfortably with 270k miles. And I am sure there are a lot of takers in this forum if your friend needs somebody to use the miles in order to not just gift them back to LH :-)
Primenumber
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:47 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Primenumber
Hey Nick Art,
Just see to it that they do not expire! You can fly very far very comfortably with 270k miles. And I am sure there are a lot of takers in this forum if your friend needs somebody to use the miles in order to not just gift them back to LH :-)
Primenumber
Haha, before any of you vultures get anything I'd buy myself a First Class LH award flight (if I find some availability) XD But nice try! The only time I can see myself doing that is a week or two before they expire without being able to use them for myself.
I actually have a reminder set on my phone for those miles :P So I really hope we'll be able to spend them on some nice flights :P
I already lost some 100k miles once... Never again.

(I was not 18 yet and under the impression that I was in the LH miles and more youth club thing. basically all not full age members would keep their miles until they were 18. Now I don't know what happened, but I couldn't find anything about this anymore when I was around 16. At this point I got more interested in miles and stuff and I went to check my account for the first time-Since my parents lost my pin and the account was so old (taken from Swissair, to Swiss to Miles&More) there was no recovery email to recover the account and I had to send in a copy of my passport to get access to it. To my shock I discovered the account to only have some 20k miles from my last three years flights. Apparently I had never been member or was not member anymore (support wasn't quite sure what happened) as the club was limited to german residents?Nobody really knows anything about it and how it was at that time and I coulnd't find anything about it online... I was pretty bummed.)

Last edited by Nick Art; Jun 19, 2018 at 3:57 pm
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Flysmart awards are a good deal on regional flights nowadays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.