Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FRA vs MUC connection in J

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
FRA vs MUC connection in J

Need to book a trip to Rome and first time flying LH in general as there's really no good oneworld option

In terms of connection, which airport is preferable in terms of ease and how do either J lounges compare?

or should I just scrap those options above and connect through ZRH on LX instead

Thanks

Last edited by hl176; May 15, 2018 at 5:13 pm
Old May 15, 2018, 7:00 pm

MUC and ZRH are both much better than FRA for connecting.
LX has less seats where you need to climb over your seatmate, but the seats feel narrow (4+5 seats across in the330/340 where 4+4 is standard on most other airlines with a similar design).
Old May 15, 2018, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
MUC and ZRH are both much better than FRA for connecting.
LX has less seats where you need to climb over your seatmate, but the seats feel narrow (4+5 seats across in the330/340 where 4+4 is standard on most other airlines with a similar design).
Thanks for the info.

Just wondering but in what ways are MUC and ZRH superior compared to FRA
Old May 15, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hl176
Thanks for the info.

More compact which means they're easier to connect in and take less time walking. FRA lines are also a lot longer for things like passport control.

I personally would recommend ZRH. Nicest airport and nicest lounges of the 3.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
MUC is much better than FRA on all counts. Passport check, lounges, distances etc.

Lines in ZRH can be shorter or longer, depending on the time of day, lounges slightly better but the lounges in MUC are fine, too.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:18 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zeer0
I personally would recommend ZRH. Nicest airport and nicest lounges of the 3.
Depending on when the OP plans to travel the Business Lounge situation in ZRH is not very good. Check the recent posts in this thread.

No Schengen Lounge in ZRH [A] August 27 to Spring 2018
Old May 16, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by worldclubber
MUC is much better than FRA on all counts. Passport check, lounges, distances etc.
+ 1 ZRH is good too but J lounges currently closed in A
Old May 16, 2018, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Thanks for the info.

I've transferred through all three dozen of times. FRA still has the capacity to confuse me (OK, that's not difficult to achieve..), but I've more or less understood MUC: it's a brighter airport, laid out in a straightforward way making navigation more intuitive. Though if it's your first time going through either of the German airports, you'll need to pay close attention to the signage and its link to your boarding area/gate number.

ZRH is by far the easiest, and the nicest, of the three airports mentioned here.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the insight and tips.

Also, what are your preferred aircrafts on LH for J?
Old May 16, 2018, 11:36 pm

Thanks everyone for all the insight and tips.

Also, what are your preferred aircrafts on LH for J?
Unlike many other carriers, LH has a homogeneous J class across all long-haul aircraft. I would always go with the most convenient flight, i.e. the flight with the best timing. And, your aircraft choice will be tied to the airport question, as LH operates different fleets out of FRA and MUC.
zeer0 likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldclubber

Unlike many other carriers, LH has a homogeneous J class across all long-haul aircraft. I would always go with the most convenient flight, i.e. the flight with the best timing. And, your aircraft choice will be tied to the airport question, as LH operates different fleets out of FRA and MUC.
I understand but from what I see, window seats offer a separated footwell whereas centre seats off direct aisle access but the shared footwell; is the footwell in the centre seats really an issue?
Old May 17, 2018, 1:07 am

I understand but from what I see, window seats offer a separated footwell whereas centre seats off direct aisle access but the shared footwell; is the footwell in the centre seats really an issue?
It isn't as simple as that, you will have to check individual seat maps. E.g. the seats on the upper deck of the B748, only window and aisle, are arranged in V-shape, not in H-shape, i.e. the footwells are adjacent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.