Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The LOT Kafeteria 2018-23 (retired)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by TPJ
Seat itself was much better than the torture chair on MAX'es.
Speaking of the MAX, just when you thought it couldn't get any worse after the 787 fiasco... the MAX has put an even greater dent in Boeing's already tarnished image. Is it true one of the head honchos of LOT is already claiming that the company's MAX aircraft will definitely be flying again this year?

On the funny side, this aircraft is supposedly being completely REBRANDED by some with Ryanair removing the MAX logo from it's newly bought junk, using the 737-8200 marking instead.

There has been some good news too though... namely that LOT will also consider Airbus aircraft in the future. I wouldn't put my money on it though...
lhrpete and marcoos like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would rather the Polska military had my back that the underfunded, under-gunned, under-tanked, under-shipped, just about under-everything German one.

Now where would such a successful Defence Minister find herself... ah.... with our dear Politburo Comeraden.

Regarding the NS lounge, its been like that after just a few weeks. The Jalpax toilets were OOS since an age. Why does the door to the washrooms have a lock on it? I just lock out the pax.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by hugolover
Would rather the Polska military had my back...
Today 'Polska military' sounds like an oxymoron. All capable, hi-ranking military officials have been expelled because the current banana-republic gov't only wants obedient clowns at its disposal (I wonder why?). Contracts for any serious weaponry have been cancelled, with only propaganda talk given instead (F35s... LMAO).

The biggest "investment" right now is actually in a boy scout-type brigade where delusional idiots pretend they are the first line of defense against "green men" from across the eastern frontier. The only problem is that those "green men" are actually elite, well-trained special forces, whereas the local "boy scouts" pretending to play toy soldiers are a bunch of amateurs on a camping trip. What a joke. It would actually be funny if this wasn't Polska military 2019...
marcoos and yurtripper like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by aster
On the funny side, this aircraft is supposedly being completely REBRANDED by some with Ryanair removing the MAX logo from it's newly bought junk, using the 737-8200 marking instead.
Name `-8200` was used since 2017 for high density version of 737-MAX8 which Ryanair has ordered. More on FlightGlobal.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:50 pm

Exactly.

Ryanair wants the MAX reference to disappear completely, instead choosing to use an old, obscure reference. They simply DO NOT WANT to see the letters MAX shown on their MAX 8 after a combined 346 people have already died onboard Boeing's state-of-the-art aircraft.

Interesting times indeed.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by oliver2002
That and an order for some 32 F35 ...
I am sure that helps, and they can save by bundling the service contract with the existing F-16s. On the other hand, SOMEONE on the EU continent has to have a functional air force...
chris63 and hugolover like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
SP-LUA is indeed Lot’s only 737-700. Not repainted, though, as the summer schedule is packed and they apparently have no time for that now.

The “honcho” claiming MAXes will fly this year is Lot’s CEO himself.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Talking of the devil... Not even the time to drop my bag and approach the plane-spotting galore’s window here in my hotel room at Heathrow airport, here’s SP-LUA on the runway going back to Warsaw:

G
TPJ, N1003U and iLied like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by N1003U
On the other hand, SOMEONE on the EU continent has to have a functional air force...
Lots of countries do. What's really needed though is more European integration that eventually leads to EU forces and military units being formed to protect the EU's external borders.

Otherwise in case of any real scenario it'll be a toss up as to which NATO countries react and in what way, especially with the White House run by a Putin-loving moron.
Dover2Golf, marcoos, iLied and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
The MAX’s are in the system now for February at least
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lots of countries do. What's really needed though is more European integration that eventually leads to EU forces and military units being formed to protect the EU's external borders.

Otherwise in case of any real scenario it'll be a toss up as to which NATO countries react and in what way, especially with the White House run by a Putin-loving moron.
Wash your mouth out with Basia’s short haul sparkling wine. Daddy is the best. End of.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

What's really needed though is more European integration that eventually leads to EU forces and military units being formed to protect the EU's external borders.
LOL, dream on, ain’t gonna happen. If you dig a little bit into history (and I’m not talking about dinosaurs or 1914 here), you will see that ‘coordination’ when it comes to military and, most importantly, diplomacy as such, has never been a European thing — see the way both Balkans crisis (which I’m particularly familiar with) were handled, absolute shambles and total humiliation (had it not been for a resolute —yet possibly too late— intervention from the other side of the Atlantic and Britain doing some significant diplomacy/intelligence work, this city would probably be still under siege and I’d be running not for fitness but for safety reasons...). Now, if that’s the same modus-operandi to be adopted by a so-called ‘EU force’ in case of ‘foreign aggression’, we’d be laughing and for all the wrong reasons. As good-old (or rather young) @hugolover suggests, sparkling wine is the way to go, LOL.

G

hugolover and yurtripper like this.

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Aug 6, 2019 at 1:19 pm
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
LOT is apparently thinking big about long haul expansion:

https://airlinerwatch.com/lot-polish...widebody-jets/

I think the odds on an A220/A350 order are tiny and they will go for more Embraers and the 787.

Oh that they would replace their 7M8s with A20Ns!
hugolover and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by lhrpete
LOT is apparently thinking big about long haul expansion:

https://airlinerwatch.com/lot-polish...widebody-jets/

I think the odds on an A220/A350 order are tiny and they will go for more Embraers and the 787.

Oh that they would replace their 7M8s with A20Ns!
I guess it's 50/50 they could replace Embraers with A220s... Boeing will give LOT big enough reason to stick with 787s.

A350 would be lovely, but with their small fleet it makes no sense - A350 is so different to 787s/7M8s that only full fleet replacement would make sense, but doubt LOT can afford it.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK

LOL, dream on, ain’t gonna happen. If you dig a little bit into history (and I’m not talking about dinosaurs or 1914 here), you will see that ‘coordination’ when it comes to military and, most importantly, diplomacy as such, has never been a European thing — see the way both Balkans crisis (which I’m particularly familiar with) were handled, absolute shambles and total humiliation (had it not been for a resolute —yet possibly too late— intervention from the other side of the Atlantic and Britain doing some significant diplomacy/intelligence work,[snipped]
G

G beat me to the punch here but I totally agree. The EU would take 6 months just to decide on a resolution endorsing a military response (and then still have to debate how to go about implementing it). The examples from Former Yugoslavia and Libya are very instructive when it comes to the enormous difficulties of non nation-state actors (other than NATO) providing rapid or effective military responses. And let's not even talk about the UNPROFOR debacles in places like Bosnia.

Also, the UK - which is soon to leave the EU - provides 40% of its military power, 50% of its nuclear capability and 50% of its UNSC votes. So not exactly a great platform for the EU to shape itself as a military entity once the UK is gone.

There's a great book about what happened in FY with UNPROFOR etc during the civil wars called "Trusted Mole" by Milos Stankovic (who worked for the British). Here's a quote from it.

"Net result: NATO first, Croats second, Serbs third, Muslims fourth and UN last. Ironic, isn’t it? The winner in a peace support operation is a warfighting machine. The loser is the peace organisation. And, the very people the international community was hell-bent on helping came last in the local league."

Last edited by yurtripper; Aug 7, 2019 at 3:51 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.