Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VIE departure experiences??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

VIE departure experiences??

I Googled this topic and found a lot of very unpleasant experiences. Slow, long security and passport control lines, very little sitting space in the gates, lack of restrooms... you name it.

We are departing this summer, mid July, on OS from VIE to BUD with a quick connection to LOT BUD to ORD. Just trying to get an idea what sort of misery we will face getting through the VIE airport. Our flight is at 1000. We'll probably be there by 0700ish. What should we expect? I know our GE/PREcheck gets us nothing. We are Biz Class on LOT out of BUD but only coach on OS out of VIE so no help there, I'm sure. Does our UA/Star Alliance Silver Premier offer any advantage at VIE security?

Also, as I stated, we are connecting to LOT in BUD. We have 45 minutes connection time from landing to departure. We are sitting in row 7 on the inbound so we should be able to exit the plane fairly quickly. Both airlines show to be in the same terminal. (2A, I believe). We will have carry on roll-aboards and a small tote each. Should we expect any problems getting from the OS gate to the LOT gate? Gates should be close to each other. Another security check between these two airlines. Aren't both VIE and BUD Schengen?
Wouldn't mind a bunch if LOT was a little late departing that morning!
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
I Googled this topic and found a lot of very unpleasant experiences. Slow, long security and passport control lines, very little sitting space in the gates, lack of restrooms... you name it.

We are departing this summer, mid July, on OS from VIE to BUD with a quick connection to LOT BUD to ORD. Just trying to get an idea what sort of misery we will face getting through the VIE airport. Our flight is at 1000. We'll probably be there by 0700ish. What should we expect? I know our GE/PREcheck gets us nothing. We are Biz Class on LOT out of BUD but only coach on OS out of VIE so no help there, I'm sure. Does our UA/Star Alliance Silver Premier offer any advantage at VIE security?
Don't know you sources (perhaps you should google more), but I would rather go hundreds times through VIE than a single time through any USA airport... I find VIE efficient and good airport, in particular to transfer through...
No, you UA Silver does not give you anything in VIE if in whY...
Also, as I stated, we are connecting to LOT in BUD. We have 45 minutes connection time from landing to departure. We are sitting in row 7 on the inbound so we should be able to exit the plane fairly quickly. Both airlines show to be in the same terminal. (2A, I believe). We will have carry on roll-aboards and a small tote each. Should we expect any problems getting from the OS gate to the LOT gate? Gates should be close to each other. Another security check between these two airlines. Aren't both VIE and BUD Schengen?
Wouldn't mind a bunch if LOT was a little late departing that morning!
Didn't you get the full answers to these questions here? BTW cross posting is not allowed here... Although you claim there to be doing VIE-BUD in business...
windchaser777 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:08 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Apart from weird Schengen Lounge location, I have no issues with VIE airport. It is very efficient hub. Why do you want to be at 7 am for the 10 am flight? You do not have lounge access as *A Silver, so not much to do at the airport.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:55 pm

VIE is my favourite security anywhere (if there is such a thing). Normally lots of lines open, very efficient.
windchaser777 and Kensterfly like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
There is quite a number of seats at the gates, there are sofas with power outlets and a free wifi.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
VIE is easy and efficient. No need to be there before 830 for a 1000 flight.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: LH FTL
VIE is awesome !
as ftl I pass through check in and security in less then 5 mins, passport controls for G gates (non schengen are usually empty) and they installed e-gates for passports so even less waiting time..
as economy /non status customer if u dont wanna wait at check in I would suggest to have a boarding pass printed from home and u can self check your bag if u dont wanna wait for an agent..
Kensterfly likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
Apart from weird Schengen Lounge location, I have no issues with VIE airport. It is very efficient hub. Why do you want to be at 7 am for the 10 am flight? You do not have lounge access as *A Silver, so not much to do at the airport.
Coming off a river cruise ship. They like to get you to the airport three hours early.

We we have a United Club membership. Maybe that’ll get us into a lounge?

Last edited by Kensterfly; Mar 19, 2018 at 8:08 am
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:59 am
Suspended

Forget that. Have breakfast in Vienna and then take the airport train. Much better use of your time.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:04 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador

Coming off a river cruise ship. They line to get you to the airport three hours early.

We we have a United Club membership. Maybe that’ll get us into a lounge?
Ys - it will work as per standard *A rules.
Kensterfly likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fanb
VIE is awesome !
as ftl I pass through check in and security in less then 5 mins, passport controls for G gates (non schengen are usually empty) and they installed e-gates for passports so even less waiting time..
as economy /non status customer if u dont wanna wait at check in I would suggest to have a boarding pass printed from home and u can self check your bag if u dont wanna wait for an agent..
Not sure if we can print boarding passes from the ship but does OS and LOT provide electronic boarding passes through an app for international flights?

With a short connection in BUD, and since we will be on our way home, we may just check our bags and not worry about them. If the bags don’t get transferred in BUD, they’ll have to eventually be delivered to us. (one *A ticket all the way to IAH.)
They are 20 inch carry ons but we don’t want to take the chance of having to gate check them in VIE and then wait for them to be brought up to the jetway in BUD.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: most of them
VIE to the USA was not a fun experience when I did it . But I would guess that it's much more pleasant on a short intra-Euro hop.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:51 am
Suspended

Not sure if we can print boarding passes from the ship but does OS and LOT provide electronic boarding passes through an app for international flights?

With a short connection in BUD, and since we will be on our way home, we may just check our bags and not worry about them. If the bags don’t get transferred in BUD, they’ll have to eventually be delivered to us. (one *A ticket all the way to IAH.)
They are 20 inch carry ons but we don’t want to take the chance of having to gate check them in VIE and then wait for them to be brought up to the jetway in BUD.
I don't know about LOT, but OS certainly haas a useful app that lets you save BPs into Wallet (or in the app). Your carry-on bags should present no problems. I personally wouldn't check them.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:56 am

VIE is or was renown for strictly enforcing the 8kg carry-on rule. If your carry-on weighed more than 8kg, regardless of size, they would not let you through the security checkpoint and send you back to the check-in counter. Not sure if that's still the case, but something to keep in mind.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOT works just fine with Passbook. You don’t even need to download the App and it’s not worth bothering with anyway. Just checkin via the mobile website. Or checkin on your desktop and issue the BP to your email and within the email is a link to the Passbook/Android BP as shown in the image.

I don’t think VIE is particularly great. The gates were crammed. For my SN flight to BRU I had to literally push my way to the front to get priority boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.