Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking luggage through on separate tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Checking luggage through on separate tickets?

I will be flying IAD-LHR on UA, overnighting in LHR, and then flying LHR-FRA-TLV the next morning. IAD-LHR-FRA are on one ticket, and FRA-TLV is a separate ticket. When I check in bags at LHR, will LH allow me to check bags all the way through to TLV even though the itinerary is on two separate tickets? If the IAD-LHR-FRA ticket is in business and the FRA-TLV ticket is in coach, will they enforce the coach luggage allowance? For these purposes, is TLV considered a European or intetcontinental destination?

Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:40 pm

LH (similar to all other airlines) has no legal/contractual obligation to check your luggage if you're "connecting" on a different ticket. Their CI agents very often do so, though, as a courtesy. Asking them to grant you a higher allowance for the second flight because your first flight is business is stretching the agent's willingness to go beyond rules to help you. In other words, you can't count on that, it will fully depend on the agent's "mood".
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
At LHR they are very good about checking bags on different tickets, even to interline partners (eg I’ve flown LX C to GVA and had a separate ticket onwards on EK and they happily interlined my bags with no questions asked).

So, they’ll almost certainly check it. They’ll consider TLV a European destination and if I were you, I’d assume you’ll only get coach allowance to avoid disappointment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.