Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH F vs SQ C: hard product only (A380)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
LH F vs SQ C: hard product only (A380)

A family member has just over 110k LH miles, all of which are going down the drain after May 31st (not keeping status, not going for any CCs) if they're not used up.

I see that I can fly SIN-FRA in F for 105,000 miles which would easily take care of the issue.

But for 67,000 miles I can also fly SQ in C at a slightly later date which happens to be more convenient (though no biggie, both dates are fine). Now if those miles weren't expiring I would choose the latter option and save 38,000 miles for future use, but here I'm looking at virtually allowing 38k to go straight to the bin (borderline heresy, I know).

Both flights are around midnight or 1am so I have no intention on handing around for hours but simply want to get a few glasses of wine and call it a night - might probably skip breakfast too in favour of more sleep. So how does the hard product compare when it comes to LH F vs SQ C?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
While SQ C is a fine product, assuming both flights are on the corresponding airline's A380, LH F is a proper F hard product. The LH A380 F product is a open suite so not as private as other products. SQ's A380 J product is 1x2x1 so aisle access for all flights. If you're going to be sleeping the SQ J product will do quite well by you. Maybe those remaining points can be used for a long weekend trip within Europe?

If doing the LH F it would seem that adding a segment to another city would be advantageous to be able to experience in the FCT.
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aster
A family member has just over 110k LH miles, all of which are going down the drain after May 31st (not keeping status, not going for any CCs) if they're not used up.

I see that I can fly SIN-FRA in F for 105,000 miles which would easily take care of the issue.

But for 67,000 miles I can also fly SQ in C at a slightly later date which happens to be more convenient (though no biggie, both dates are fine). Now if those miles weren't expiring I would choose the latter option and save 38,000 miles for future use, but here I'm looking at virtually allowing 38k to go straight to the bin (borderline heresy, I know).

Both flights are around midnight or 1am so I have no intention on handing around for hours but simply want to get a few glasses of wine and call it a night - might probably skip breakfast too in favour of more sleep. So how does the hard product compare when it comes to LH F vs SQ C?
LH F bed is by far more spacious and comfortable than SQ J -- no brainer for LH IMO.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
LH F bed is by far more spacious and comfortable than SQ J -- no brainer for LH IMO.
+1

Wine should also be better in LH F & certainly is in the SQ F lounge at SIN over *G
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:53 pm

I can only write about the old SQ CJ- the new one is on very few planes anyway.
LH F is far more spacious, cabin is more quiet, food and service better.
SQ J is still very good, i would prefer it over UA F or AA F. One aspect I dont like: there is no comfortable position for lounging. The seat does not recline much. You fold the backrest down (= need to get up) when you want to sleep.
Btw: I prefer LH F over SQ F.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Another vote for LH F over SQ J (in particular if you are tall). SQ J is a nice business class flight. Some things are nicer than other airlines, some things not. LH F is something else.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:23 am

How about paying the 50 EUR cancel fee to reset the clock and grab LH F at the later date?

I'm also willing to take one for the team and fly somewhere for the 38k if they'd otherwise go to waste :-).
whiskey_sk and 1flyer like this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Limiting this to the hard product part:

Both offer 1-2-1 configuration, both are fully flat.
SQ J offers very good space in middle row bulkhead seats (much more space versus the regular seat) while all LH seats offer the same space.
LH F goes ahead:
- special noise insulation which makes for the quieter cabin
- humidifier for higher humidity and better rest (important if you just wanna sleep)
- 1 toilet for just 4 pax
- much better bedding and comfort
- nicer ambience
- larger TV and BOSE noise cancellation headphones

Lufthansa offers a very good First Class product and clearly goes ahead for me in this comparison.

Lufthansa has some funny quirks like regularly only loading one (!) bottle of their special champagne of the month for SIN-FRA and regularly running out of regular champagne as well (three times in 2017) but we didn't want to discuss soft product...
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:53 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: SLH Indulged, M&M, SPG, IHG Elite, Hyatt Member
Originally Posted by SMK77
LH F goes ahead:
- special noise insulation which makes for the quieter cabin
- humidifier for higher humidity and better rest (important if you just wanna sleep)
Just out of curiosity: are these two points in addition to the A380s better noise insulation and (as far as I recall) better humidity for all cabin classes?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
No question - LH F.

My trip over new years was SQ C SFO - HKG - SIN followed by SIN-FRA-AMS LH F.

Not even in the same ballpark. LH F all day.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Scoring an F award seat between FRA and SIN is one of the hardest LH awards to get. You should just grab it!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Thanks everyone for your help - with more miles to burn in the near future via both M&M (and KrisFlyer) - and for the first time finding that M&M miles might actually be more valuable to collect - this will definitely help with future bookings.

I am actually quite surprised at how easy (and cheaper in terms of YQ/YR or whatever the surcharges are referred to) it is to book SQ J seats nowadays. This time around I ended up deciding on the 2 extra days in SIN simply because I booked the outbound 2 days later than expected to fly SQ J over LH J.

So to be fair the choice truly ended up being between a return trip in LH J + LH F -or- SQ J + SQ J. And as much as I understand now that LH F is definitely a superior product to SQ J, unfortunately LH J is not in the same league as SQ J.

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
The LH A380 F product is a open suite so not as private as other products.
I initially looked at some Google Images photos and this was the first thing that came to mind - that everything is just so open. For a short while there I dreaded the thought of being the ONLY person in F and like a 40,000-feet-above-the-Earth participant of Big Brother in the skies. But that's just personal - every other person would probably love the experience of being the only one in F.

Originally Posted by chris63
Wine should also be better in LH F & certainly is in the SQ F lounge at SIN over *G
Yes, I would imagine that wine in F, either onboard or in a dedicated F lounge, would be at an entirely different level. But in SIN SQ has separate F and J lounges in addition to the *G one, so when flying in SQ J you are spared the experience of the *G lounge. Does LH F get you into the SQ F lounge in SIN?

Originally Posted by Lack
How about paying the 50 EUR cancel fee to reset the clock and grab LH F at the later date?
Now this I did not know earlier or I might have looked at things differently. So if I were to pump 105,000 miles for the LH F redemption and then cancel it for 50 EUR, those miles would return with a new validity date and not get wiped clean after March 31? I still have those leftover miles to deal with, so maybe they are not all lost after all...
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
The pics don't really do the LH F seat justice. Actually I felt the same thing before I flew it, but there is a quite large privacy divider that shoots up from the side of the F seat that makes it much more reasonable, it only has do be down during take off and landing. Sure, it's not a SQ F suite but it's still very good and much better than I expected, having experienced other suites & semi-suite F cabins. I'd take it over any airline's C seat any day of the week.
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by aster
Does LH F get you into the SQ F lounge in SIN.
Yes, not TPR but F lounge is good 👍

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.