Wiki Posts
Search

Does EC 261 apply?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Does EC 261 apply?

Good Afternoon,

I recently flew from Gatwick to Athens via Geneva with Swiss (both sectors) on an award ticket. When I arrived in Geneva, my onward flight to Athens had been cancelled due to a technical fault.
I was accomodated in a hotel overnight and eventually reached Athens 23 hours later.
My question is, does EC 261 apply to my situation, even if this was an award ticket and on Swiss?
If I am entitled to anything, do I have to fill in a form or write to the airline?

Your input is much appreciated
Kind Regards
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
There are others that are more experts on this board, but two things I'd like to flag right away: I think the Swiss are somewhat only partly bounded by EU rules (or at least that how they look at it) and my expectation is that Swiss will tell you hat the technical fault was outside their control, which of course is a ridiculous argument but seems rather common among airlines as argument to not pay out. In any case, it cannot hurt to try and it depends ultimately on your stamina and opportunity costs on how far you want to take this (e.g., all the way to a court)....
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:03 am

Look at this tread in the swiss subforum. More information there.
Swiss denies compensation

I had success getting compensation for a cancelled flight and a missed connection. Not exactly your case, but I think it is worth trying. Report back!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The technical fault responsibility was clarified in a case at the ECJ, so the EU enforcement bodies of 261/04 don't let the airlines get away with it. LX is bound by 261/04 because Switzerland adopted it, but the BAZL will not enforce ECJ decisions since it is not an EU country.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The technical fault responsibility was clarified in a case at the ECJ, so the EU enforcement bodies of 261/04 don't let the airlines get away with it. LX is bound by 261/04 because Switzerland adopted it, but the BAZL will not enforce ECJ decisions since it is not an EU country.
Sure, but if OP makes the claim through UK authorities rather than CH authorities, that's not an issue, no?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by pewpew
Sure, but if OP makes the claim through UK authorities rather than CH authorities, that's not an issue, no?
Indeed, since OP departed ex UK OP can inform LX that he will issue proceedings in UK Courts if they fail to pay up & with some persistence that ought to work.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:05 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
And going through the UK courts is much simpler as Money Claim Online can be done, leading to small courts. The fee is 25 GBP and no need of a lawer. The process is well explained here for British Airways but would apply to LX as well: The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful replies, it is much appreciated. I will give it a go and see how far I get

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.