Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Child goes crazy on flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by lighting
I don't think there is much point in debating anything with people who only care about themselves and want to judge and in some cases belittle and bully ca child based on knowing zero facts about the situation.

This thread is a shameful representation of humanity and the ever dwindling levels of kindness and compassion in society.
Nevertheless, I feel obliged to point these things out. Anyone having come into prolonged contact without anyone suffering from a mental health related disability knows that it isn't as simple as some poster in this thread are inclined to think it is.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Nevertheless, I feel obliged to point these things out. Anyone having come into prolonged contact without anyone suffering from a mental health related disability knows that it isn't as simple as some poster in this thread are inclined to think it is.
May I suggest you and "lighting" get together to have a pity party where you both can whine and snivel about your imagined dwindling levels of kindness and compassion in society. While doing so, just be sure to ignore the fact that the safety of many takes priority over the convenience/needs of one or a few.
ToddSpam likes this.

Last edited by rbwpi; Feb 18, 2018 at 7:48 pm
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:45 am

Couldn't agree more.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:50 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
I think the major point here is - if the other passengers would have taken a stand to take care of the safety hazard while still on the ground this would not have happened!
But everybody was afraid to point this out to the purser and captain while it was still time to solve this easily!
So in a way the ignorant passengers got what they deserved for the inability to stand for their rights.

Note to myself - make sure something like this gets solved before take off - don't let it slip and slide...
Airlines will only act when you point the finger at them!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
The trouble is nowadays standing for your rights, so to speak, can get you labelled as a troublesome or unruly passenger. I tend to keep my head down while flying, accepting I have to share my space with a lot of other people, even if I do not like it. The child should definitely have been brought under control, mental issues or not, no question about it. Time to move on from this I think.
The_Bouncer and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by rbwpi
May I suggest you and "lighting" get together to have a pity party where you both can whine and snivel about your imagined dwindling levels of kindness and compassion in society
I did not complain about a dwindling level of kindness and compassion in society. I'm merely pointing out that IME societies have problems dealing with mental health issues and in most cases - as demonstrated by many in this thread - simply want to ignore them.

While doing so, just be sure to ignore the fact that the safety of many takes priority over the convenience/needs of one or a few.
Keeping the flight safe is not the passengers job. If you feel so strong about how safety was compromised on that flight, then you should have no trouble filing a complaint with relevant authorities and have it investigated.
lighting likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:47 am

I did not complain about a dwindling level of kindness and compassion in society.
You did not, but "lighting" did, that's why I suggested you both get together for a pity party.

Last edited by rbwpi; Feb 19, 2018 at 4:55 am
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:54 am

If you feel so strong about how safety was compromised on that flight, then you should have no trouble filing a complaint with relevant authorities and have it investigated.
I would have no problem filing a complaint if safety on a flight was compromised for any reason. However, in the scenario at hand, I would have made it an issue with the flight crew as soon as it became apparent.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:15 am

You did not, but "lighting" did, that's why I suggested you both get together for a pity party.
It was a great suggestion, on par with tying down, drugging, shaming and humiliating a child due to an incident where no one commenting was there or has a clue what really went on.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by swingaling
I am. The mother surely knew her kid had behavioral issues prior to taking the flight. She also probably had some awareness of the fact that she's unable to control him. The logical (and considerate) thing to do would be to ask her doctor for a sedative (or anxiolytic) to help the kid better cope with flying.

Worst case, just give him some Benadryl and pray he sleeps.
<rant>
I'm really sorry for some kids. What the F is wrong with this generation of parents? They are on their iPhone 24/7, in public and in private. Much time would be better invested in parenting.

And when the infants aren't quiet, they drug them up, instead of taking care of them, doing stuff like talking. It's really a major step backwards (e.g., 50 years in care institutions, the goals were often limited to full/well-nurtured and clean).

DPH (brand name: Benadryl) is not safe for children under 6. Neither are a bunch of other sleeping aids and psychiatric medications.

And it really is normal that infants sometimes cry without reason, don't sleep through the night, etc. Again, parents should care for their infant by making them comfortable, showing them compassion, etc., not drugging them up. Unfortunately, statistically speaking, sedating kids with medicine is on the rise.
</rant>
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by 1flyer
<rant>
I'm really sorry for some kids. What the F is wrong with this generation of parents? They are on their iPhone 24/7, in public and in private. Much time would be better invested in parenting.

And when the infants aren't quiet, they drug them up, instead of taking care of them, doing stuff like talking. It's really a major step backwards (e.g., 50 years in care institutions, the goals were often limited to full/well-nurtured and clean).

DPH (brand name: Benadryl) is not safe for children under 6. Neither are a bunch of other sleeping aids and psychiatric medications.

And it really is normal that infants sometimes cry without reason, don't sleep through the night, etc. Again, parents should care for their infant by making them comfortable, showing them compassion, etc., not drugging them up. Unfortunately, statistically speaking, sedating kids with medicine is on the rise.
</rant>
Thanks for posting this, well written and share your sentiments about the parents/parenting. Like i said from the start, the problem is not with the child and the emphasis and spotlight need to be taken off the child.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
I think the major point here is - if the other passengers would have taken a stand to take care of the safety hazard while still on the ground this would not have happened!
But everybody was afraid to point this out to the purser and captain while it was still time to solve this easily!
So in a way the ignorant passengers got what they deserved for the inability to stand for their rights.

Note to myself - make sure something like this gets solved before take off - don't let it slip and slide...
Airlines will only act when you point the finger at them!
Originally Posted by Concerto
The trouble is nowadays standing for your rights, so to speak, can get you labelled as a troublesome or unruly passenger. I tend to keep my head down while flying, accepting I have to share my space with a lot of other people, even if I do not like it. The child should definitely have been brought under control, mental issues or not, no question about it. Time to move on from this I think.
I understand both sides of this.

I can see how many people would be reluctant to stick their heads above the parapet, given the risk of getting involved in a disturbance and perhaps being deplaned yourself.

However, calmly and dicreetly pointing out to a crew member that a disturbance and potential safety hazard is taking place should not single a passenger out for and reprisals, and in this case I would have been perfectly confident to raise an objection.

I suspect, however, in a situation like this, it would take several complaints, rather than just one, to convince the crew to take action.

I am, however, certain of one thing. If this child was indeed jumping over seats during taxiing, the responsibility to address this safety breach lies firmly and squarely with the crew. They should have returned to gate and off-loaded the family.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:36 am
Original Member

Well if you firmly ask for the purser to give you the name of the pilot and co-pilot so you can text the LBA that they are taxiing while a child is unsecured that should do the job....
Call 911 and tell them what is happening and hand the phone to the FA!
Same as getting up and allerting the crew to the safty hazard..... they would never deplane you for that as thatbwould trigger an investigation and you most likely have a video of the child running around..... recording cell-phones are everywhere.
If the child knocks your head off..... I would rather be deplayned than hurt!
A sorry from LH would not make you whole if something happened!
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lighting
It was a great suggestion, on par with tying down, drugging, shaming and humiliating a child due to an incident where no one commenting was there or has a clue what really went on.
I don't get your gripe with using medication to calm/sedate the child if it cannot handle being in a metal tube for 8 hours. If you have kids who need an operation, tooth pulled or something like that are you going to not allow them to get anesthesia?
htb, rbwpi, hugolover and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:23 pm
Original Member

Did anybody ask our LH Lurkers here yet as to what LH statement is on these aligations?
The_Bouncer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.