Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double booking [and dupe check] on Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: LH SEN & DL Plat
You can book an empty seat at a discounted price as far as I remeber, it is marked as comfort seat or something... I believe I had read something about it...
Even if you would not have given your FF number the LH system would identify you as a "double booking" and cancel te PE ticket and you would loose your onward connection...
I will not comment the fact that you left your family + infant in Y+ and have gone to C...
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH will instantly detect the duplicate and send both reservations into a queue to the issuing ossuing/owning office for clarification adding a deadline till they have to resolve the duplication or else...
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:29 am

How exactly does LH identify dupe bookings? Do they compare names only?
I mean there are common names like Karl Meier which could easily be two different persons.... Or a father and a son having the same first names... Are they always at risk of having one of their reservations cancelled?
To ask the question differently: How can 2 people with the same name avoid their tickets from being cancelled?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by SebFra
I mean there are common names like Karl Meier which could easily be two different persons.... Or a father and a son having the same first names... Are they always at risk of having one of their reservations cancelled?
To ask the question differently: How can 2 people with the same name avoid their tickets from being cancelled?
they can - by getting back to LH based on their dupe message.

and still, the odds of having two Karl Meier on the same flight are pretty low
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by daumueller

they can - by getting back to LH based on their dupe message.

and still, the odds of having two Karl Meier on the same flight are pretty low
But if I understood correctly, tickets are cancelled automatically without a message, if traveller is not SEN/HON, right? (the same would apply if SEN/HON number is not in the booking then, right?)

Yes it is unlikely maybe but e.g. my son keeps the same name as I do, which could cause trouble in future if I understood correctly. This is the reason for asking in detail about the exact procedure....
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:31 am

they also have Karl Meiers date of birth which is provided at the time of booking...
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

But if I understood correctly, tickets are cancelled automatically without a message, if traveller is not SEN/HON, right? (the same would apply if SEN/HON number is not in the booking then, right?)

Yes it is unlikely maybe but e.g. my son keeps the same name as I do, which could cause trouble in future if I understood correctly. This is the reason for asking in detail about the exact procedure....
No ticket is cancelled automatically, they (LH) usually send a message and contact the office who issued the ticket to clarify the matter. See the exact text above.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
No ticket is cancelled automatically, they (LH) usually send a message and contact the office who issued the ticket to clarify the matter. See the exact text above.
If I book on the LH website, who would be to office to be contacted? That would be interesting to know!
And why/how would they have the birthdates? As far as I remember one does not have to provide them?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
If I book on the LH website, who would be to office to be contacted? That would be interesting to know!
And why/how would they have the birthdates? As far as I remember one does not have to provide them?
Quiet easy. LH would contact the email address and phone number, which is part of the booking.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:17 am

The tickets are always issued by a office, so when you book on the website, the office ID behind that is responsible to contact you using the details they have on you. No one uses date of birth, as its not always entered (only UK/US/India require SFPD)
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:01 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
The tickets are always issued by a office, so when you book on the website, the office ID behind that is responsible to contact you using the details they have on you. No one uses date of birth, as its not always entered (only UK/US/India require SFPD)
Unless you book an award with Miles and More: when booking a ticket you have to enter the date of birth, at least when booking for other people. I know this hasn't always been that way.

HTB.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:33 am

That data is not used for dupe checks, the ffp and name field are the only ones used to identify customers.
hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:21 am

That data is not used for dupe checks, the ffp and name field are the only ones used to identify customers.
Does it mean, in theory, that two guys with the same name can use one FFP card when not flying on the same flight ?
For instance, Karl Meier is HON and Karl Meier junior is travelling alone, can he collect miles for Karl Meier senior ? Do I get this right ?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:42 am

Yes, in theory. Since 2012 when M&M switched to a different back end the detection of fraud has become smarter, but in general you can share an FFP number if you have the same name. If you overdo it the system will catch you. I know of people who occasionally use this loophole. The system warns of a name mismatch in the PNR, but if you enter the number again during checkin the status doesn't transfer (the BP shows M/M or LHP) and the miles credit eventually by itself.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But this will work even better if you are using non M&M Star FFP because all it is is a simple name check (if at all ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.