Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double booking [and dupe check] on Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
When my first name was misspelled on LH reservation my OZ*G status was not recognized, but my FTL status was accepted. So it seems that they are more strict for non M&M.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
Hi,
i have a somewhat related question. The situation is as follows. I have a booking from Oslo-lax-osl. The return is with Swiss via Zurich. The layover is a whopping 25 hours and I would want to pick up my luggage. If I were to book a different, one way trip from Zurich in between the layover, would that be likely to raise a flag in the system? Assuming the one way trip I booked is not to OSL and is to another city? In theory I could be back to Zurich before the connecting flight is due to take off to Oslo.
Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:59 pm

=
Originally Posted by oliver2002
LH most current love note to TAs from RM says the following:
Flight segments overlapping in time, booked for the same passenger, are also considered as duplicates.
Is the system known to catch flight segments that aren't overlapping, yet are "illogical"?

For example, a passenger separately ticketing the following:
08 SEPT LH FRA-ARN departing 2PM, arriving 4PM
(no subsequent return flight 08 SEPT LH ARN-FRA ticketed)
08 SEPT LH FRA-OSL departing 7PM, arriving 8:55PM
=> illogical combination due to insufficient time to return from ARN to FRA on another carrier in time for the second LH flight to OSL

Also, can it be useful to use different FFP's? I.e. one ticket with MM FFP, other with no FFP. Or one ticket with MM FFP, other with UA FFP.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:52 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you are booking such a setup to avoid flying the last leg of a discounted ticket LH is currently sending out nastygrams. If they are standalone tickets LH will not mind. If you want to avoid the dupe check, book with SAS.
mozilla likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:27 am
m44

Programs: USAir
Doublebooking on LH?

How many seats in all class of service can you book using the same name for the same person on LH?
How many do you think LH will make you pay for?
I do know the answer - but I am interested in what you all think?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
It’s probably a lot but the BOT will pick it up later & deal with the issue
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a manual booking process for those requiring more than one seat.

But, if that process is not followed, LH's system will eventually catch the ticketing fraud and auto-cancel one or both tickets. In any event, when only one, but not two, people board, the second ticket will be cancelled and someone awaiting a seat assignment due to overbooking will be boarded.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:36 pm
m44

Programs: USAir
Lufthansa will book any number of tickets for the same flight for the same day for the same first/last name person with the same frequent flyer number on the same Lufthansa portal account - and it will gladly keep the money refusing the refund.
On more than one occasion I had their website crash on me and booked ticket never showed up as booked. Never showed up on the profile and the credit card charge showed up weeks later. Of course usually after I bought a real ticket.
No amount of documentation (I always do Snipe when I do LH and non-US bookings) resulted in the refund by LH. But the credit card dispute worked - but only after I demanded their documentation. They did send some internal printouts none of which could be tied to me, and they sent the proof of ticket purchase for an itinerary between different city-pair for a flight 2 years earlier for some strange looking name. I had to force-point it to the credit card before they approved my dispute.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:01 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Would LH allow overlapping itineraries

Hi,

I've a booking in LH as follows:
27-Jan: BOM-FRA-IAH
7-Feb: IAH-FRA-BOM

There is a possibility of an important business event on 30-31 Jan. So, I requested my travel agent to book another one, shifted by two weeks:
3-Feb: BOM-FRA-IAH
14-Feb: IAD-FRA-BOM

I do not want to cancel the first one till I've definitive confirmation of the event on 30-31. Eventually, I'll ofcouse cancel one of the above.

My travel agent has got back saying LH is not agreeing to two overlapped bookings like the above and they may cancel one of them. Is this true?

Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:18 pm

Never heard of that. I can not imagine, that this is true. Of course I try to avoid alternative bookings. But even then they happen from time to time.

And who knows, that you don't fly IAH-BOM on Feb 1 and BOM-IAH on Feb 10 with another airline? I know some flying commuters, who make a science out of their mix of bookings between the same two cities.

Of course, if you don't fly BOM-FRA-IAH on Jan 27, your IAH-FRA-BOM segments will be canceled. But not before you missed the segments before.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since they are entirely different dates, I don’t see anything wrong with what you are doing.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:10 am

If you are still concerned you could make both reservations without additional information like your frequent flyer number.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:42 am

In an old LH booking policy from 2011 issued by our TA at that time was a statement that such overlapping bookings would be considered as duplicates and are not permissible.

Left that company some years ago, so do not have a current LH group booking policy but google brings up a current one which does not include that statement anymore.

Best would, to have you TA confirm with LH.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:24 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I’ve had overlapping itineraries before and it’s fine, in my experience. This most frequently happens because I’ll book a return ticket that’s cheaper than a one way that I need, and the return date is far in the future. I’ll obviously have a bunch of travel before that return flight. I’ve also had situations such as yours. Never had an issue.

I think overlapping itineraries are fine. But the issue is with being booked on flights that themselves overlap.
sw1x likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=sophialite;3194789

I think overlapping itineraries are fine. But the issue is with being booked on flights that themselves overlap.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is my experience

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.