Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Package Challenge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Travel Package Challenge

My first time booking a trip that the group included airfare. Traveling from PHX to NAP in September. Of course, now I find out that the package includes the worst possible flights....

I am trying to get 'educated' before I complain to the Tour Group.

If anyone can help answer my questions....

1. They want to fly me Lufthansia. PHX/NAP. If I fly economy, any 'better' airline to request?
2. It looks like upgrading to Premium Economy is not worth it. Anyone disagree?
3. Can I use United miles to upgrade on Lufthansia?
4. Would I do better requesting PHX/Rome (not sure which a/p) and then fly Rome 2 Naples (I don't want to take the train)
5. Might I be able to afford Business Class if I fly SW to LA on my own time and then use the tour service RT from LAX?

Thank you

Last edited by service1010; Dec 19, 2017 at 7:38 am
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: LX SEN
Hi!

Below are the answers to which I can answer.

1. Not to my view.
2. I disagree. I tend to enjoy LH PE on westbound TATL flights.
5. You should check this with your tour operator before making any alternative arrangements.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Helpful. TY
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by service1010
1. They want to fly me Lufthansia. PHX/NAP. If I fly economy, any 'better' airline to request?
4. Would I do better requesting PHX/Rome (not sure which a/p) and then fly Rome 2 Naples (I don't want to take the train)
5. Might I be able to afford Business Class if I fly SW to LA on my own time and then use the tour service RT from LAX?
1. No.
2. If you can (see 3), totally worth it.
3. It all depends on what your ticket allows. Most probably no upgrades apart from cash upgrade at checkin.
4. If you are going to Naples, fly to NAP. If you are going to Rome, fly to FCO. Flying FCO-NAP is absolutely pointless.
5. Ask your tour operator.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
My first time booking a trip that the group included airfare. Traveling from PHX to NAP in September. Of course, now I find out that the package includes the worst possible flights....

I am trying to get 'educated' before I complain to the Tour Group.

If anyone can help answer my questions....

Thank you
These group tours usually negotiate special fares, that are usually heavily restricted to the point that they often are not even eligible for points earning... So your options are very limited, IMHO close to none...
  1. NO - btw, what better airline would you want than Lufthansa (not Lufthansia) on this particular route?
  2. PY might be worth depending on opinions, but with your fare, I would say you cannot do it anyway.
  3. You can, but as said above the ticket will be heavily restricted, no chance IMHO.
  4. Why on Earth would you want to do it?
  5. I won cruise few years ago and was in similar situation... At the end, I have just purchased my own airfares - I know slightly different, you paid for yours... You might be able to negotiate refund for the airfare and then purchase your own. But again, I would doubt it... Anecdotally, those airfares added to tours/cruises are so ridiculously priced that you won't get back anything...
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malmostoso
1. No.
2. If you can (see 3), totally worth it.
3. It all depends on what your ticket allows. Most probably no upgrades apart from cash upgrade at checkin.
4. If you are going to Naples, fly to NAP. If you are going to Rome, fly to FCO. Flying FCO-NAP is absolutely pointless.
5. Ask your tour operator.
I appreciate your taking the time to help me out
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vbroucek
These group tours usually negotiate special fares, that are usually heavily restricted to the point that they often are not even eligible for points earning... So your options are very limited, IMHO close to none...
  1. NO - btw, what better airline would you want than Lufthansa (not Lufthansia) on this particular route?
  2. PY might be worth depending on opinions, but with your fare, I would say you cannot do it anyway.
  3. You can, but as said above the ticket will be heavily restricted, no chance IMHO.
  4. Why on Earth would you want to do it?
  5. I won cruise few years ago and was in similar situation... At the end, I have just purchased my own airfares - I know slightly different, you paid for yours... You might be able to negotiate refund for the airfare and then purchase your own. But again, I would doubt it... Anecdotally, those airfares added to tours/cruises are so ridiculously priced that you won't get back anything...
You won a cruise Nice!
For economy, to Italy, do I have to pay for my seat selection....
Okay, I will stick with the chosen airline and just take my 'lumps'. Wonder if I can bid on an upgrade at departure.....

Last edited by service1010; Dec 20, 2017 at 7:07 am Reason: another though
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You really need to talk to your tour operator for most of these. These tickets are usually the cheapest discount tickets that allow neither mileage accumulation nor upgrades or changes.

1. It's Lufthansa. You almost certainly won't have an option to fly anything else if that's what they've negotiated.
2. It's completely worth it, but I doubt you'll be able to on your fare. You may wish to ask at check-in.
3. On your fare almost certainly not.
4. That would not make any sense.
5. Speak to your tour operator about this. Almost certainly not possible.

Enjoy Italy!
vbroucek likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You really need to talk to your tour operator for most of these. These tickets are usually the cheapest discount tickets that allow neither mileage accumulation nor upgrades or changes.

1. It's Lufthansa. You almost certainly won't have an option to fly anything else if that's what they've negotiated.
2. It's completely worth it, but I doubt you'll be able to on your fare. You may wish to ask at check-in.
3. On your fare almost certainly not.
4. That would not make any sense.
5. Speak to your tour operator about this. Almost certainly not possible.

Enjoy Italy!
Thanks. I just feel like I can somehow manage this to my betterment, rather than accepting what is first offered.... Guess not!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.