Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa 5-star certification from Skytrax [2017-22]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2020, 4:22 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Skytrax has found a new business line by certifying/rating airlines on covid response... I doubt they will touch any rating of any airline for quite some time. Curious what they will do with QR now that C pax don't get to use all services depending on their fare class.
For a small consultancy fee they will give QR 6 stars. Verdict: 'by ensuring certain C-class customers cannot access C-class lounges, QR makes sure these who pay the highest C fares have empty lounges what promotes social distancing'.

Shall I apply for a position with Skytrax

Last edited by TPJ; Dec 24, 2020 at 4:31 am
Old Apr 10, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I can't comment on LH F since I've never flown it, but long-haul Y being 5 stars is an absolute joke - think "charging for spirits" and "offering a single meal on 10+ hour flights, which may well turn out to be a vegetarian dish with no alternatives".

LH short-haul C being 4.5 stars goes from joke territory into downright insulting. Economy seats, no IFE, and meals that any 10€ lunch menu here in Milan would put to shame.

And then, to top it off, we have 4 stars for a long-haul C product that makes a third of all passengers jump over someone to go to the toilet in 2022.

Whoever awarded LH these ratings deserves the Will Smith treatment, if not the Alec Baldwin treatment.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by thbe
LH F and long haul Y have 5 stars. LH PE and LH short haul C have 4.5 stars. LH long haul C and short haul Y have 4.

From my point of view, the ratings for F, C and short haul Y are justified. I don’t fly long haul PE and Y.
Long haul F can at times be 5⭐️ ..,,, the rest , no way
Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
To be fair, most of my flying is with LX rather than LH. But indeed, whenever I fly on LH, I wonder how that can be 5 Stars compared to some of the other 5 star airlines that I have experienced (and LX isn’t all that great all the time either, but all-in-all I still prefer their product vs. LH)
Agree with your conclusions
Old Apr 10, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by gojko88
And then, to top it off, we have 4 stars for a long-haul C product that makes a third of all passengers jump over someone to go to the toilet in 2022.

Was not noting this on my recent flights - which was *much better* than my normal UA BOM-EWR-BOM flights - where we have a higher lav to pax ratio than on the LH A359s... (Thank goodness!)

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
To be fair, most of my flying is with LX rather than LH. But indeed, whenever I fly on LH, I wonder how that can be 5 Stars compared to some of the other 5 star airlines that I have experienced (and LX isn’t all that great all the time either, but all-in-all I still prefer their product vs. LH)
Either I was very lucky on these 2 isolated flights - I actually thought that the food and service was fantastic - EWR-MUC-DEL.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 11:28 pm

LH short-haul C being 4.5 stars goes from joke territory into downright insulting. Economy seats, no IFE, and meals that any 10€ lunch menu here in Milan would put to shame.
First of all it’s not fair to compare airline food with food from restaurants in Italy, as offering good food in restaurants is what Italians can do best of all things they can do. I’m traveling a lot and I don’t know any other country in the world where you get good food even in average restaurants as in Italy. But even in Milan there a a few tourist trap restaurants, which offer inferior food. At Skytrax there is no 1 star airline and only 9 2 stars airlines. Aeroflot has 4 stars for short haul C and Y. Just to give you an idea about the metric.

And I’m curious to know about airlines who offer great seats, an IFE and meals on Seta level in C on 50 minutes flights. I know, that some airlines are using long haul equipment for short haul flights, because they don’t serve many short haul routes. But even these airlines are not serving food on the level of an average restaurant in Milan.

And by the way, I’ve never found the quality of food of Italian restaurants in an airport lounge in Italy or as a menu of an Italian airline. How is that possible?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:49 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
First of all it’s not fair to compare airline food with food from restaurants in Italy, as offering good food in restaurants is what Italians can do best of all things they can do. I’m traveling a lot and I don’t know any other country in the world where you get good food even in average restaurants as in Italy. But even in Milan there a a few tourist trap restaurants, which offer inferior food.
I love food in Italy but in Spain we are also quite good
Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:50 pm

First of all it’s not fair to compare airline food with food from restaurants in Italy
What I said was more to point out that LH short-haul C has a very poor value proposal. And while they admittedly won't match the level of an average Italian restaurant any time soon, at least they can serve a proper meal with more than 500 kcal, which isn't the case currently. I mean, the "currywurst" I got as part of the Heimat concept was really more of an amuse-bouche, with maybe 7-8 thin slices of wurst and pickled onion garnish. Most things they serve as BOB in Y are more filling.

And I’m curious to know about airlines who offer great seats, an IFE and meals on Seta level in C on 50 minutes flights.
50-minute flights? LH uses the same short-haul equipment to destinations such as LIS, KEF, IST, SOF, DME, TLV and TBS among other places, all of which are 2+ hours and some even 4+ hours. If you want an example of an airline that runs the same flights with great seats, an IFE and proper meals, take TK.

I’ve never found the quality of food of Italian restaurants in an airport lounge in Italy or as a menu of an Italian airline. How is that possible?
I don't know, but I can tell you that the meal I had on a 5-hour flight in QR C beats anything LH has ever served me in C on flights twice as long.

I don't want to turn this into a LH-bashing thread, but let's not put lipstick on a pig. LH competes on convenience, efficiency and occasionally price - every other facet of the airline (aside from the F product apparently) is a solid 3* at best.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't want to turn this into a LH-bashing thread, but let's not put lipstick on a pig. LH competes on convenience, efficiency and occasionally price - every other facet of the airline (aside from the F product apparently) is a solid 3* at best.
Indeed, overall if you were reviewing LH on real review forums, I would also give them 3*
Old Apr 12, 2022, 1:43 am

Guys, life is easy. If you don’t like an airline, don’t fly with it. I don’t fly with airlines, which I don’t like. I don’t like QR and TK for different reasons and I’ve never flown with them. Not flying with them starts with not booking them. That’s not too difficult.

Things getting really strange, if someone prefers TK and QR, but flies with LH.

Skytrax is easy. They have lists with check boxes. They audit an airline and they check off their lists. Some airlines anticipate these lists in their processes, others don’t. Without a doubt LH belongs to the first kind of airlines. You guys may think, that LH deserves 3* following your personal requirements. That’s ok. Everyone is free to have his own expectations how a great airline should be like.

It’s also ok to think, that Skytrax is missing the real points and makes no sense. But if you think, their ratings make no sense, referring to that ratings makes no sense as well.

But if you think, LH deserves 3* at Skytrax, then you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. And again, my strong recommendation: Don’t do things, which you don’t like. Do things, that you like.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 3:26 am

Things getting really strange, if someone prefers TK and QR, but flies with LH.
Well, sadly, there is such a thing as geography, and I'm not mad enough to backtrack to IST or DOH when flying to the US for the sake of a better onboard product. That doesn't change facts about the product itself, nor do I have to be a fan of an airline to fly with them.

I don’t like QR and TK for different reasons and I’ve never flown with them.
​​​​​​​
But if you think, LH deserves 3* at Skytrax, then you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.
​​​​​​​
It's a bit rich to accuse others of ignorance on a subject two sentences after openly admitting to willful ignorance on the same subject.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 3:50 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Skytrax is easy. They have lists with check boxes. They audit an airline and they check off their lists. Some airlines anticipate these lists in their processes, others don’t. Without a doubt LH belongs to the first kind of airlines. You guys may think, that LH deserves 3* following your personal requirements. That’s ok. Everyone is free to have his own expectations how a great airline should be like.
Checkbox: Have their paid their "marketing" invoices to Skytrax? Checked. Five stars!
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:47 am

It's a bit rich to accuse others of ignorance on a subject two sentences after openly admitting to willful ignorance on the same subject.
I didn’t accuse anyone of being ignorant. Not liking LH has nothing to do with being ignorant. I don’t fly LH long haul C as well. I prefer LX and OS for long haul C.

I do fly LH F and I think, it belongs to the best in airline business. And I often fly LH short haul C and even if I like LX short haul C more, I have nothing to complain about it. So 5 stars for LH F and 4.5 stars for LH short haul C are ok for me. And a HON complaining about LH shot haul C doesn’t make any sense as well. You won’t find anything comparable in airline business for short haul C as a HON on LH/LX.

Thinking LH deserves just 3 Skytrax stars, but flying with it anyway doesn’t make sense. There are many, many, many options to fly from Europe to the US, especially if you are not FRA or MUC based.

Skytrax ratings are easy to understand: 1 star doesn’t exist. 2 stars mean: Avoid it at all costs. 3 stars mean: It’s a bad airline or an average airline, which doesn’t care about its Skytrax rating. 4 stars mean: It’s a good airline or and excellent airline, which doesn’t care about its Skytrax rating. 5 stars mean: It’s an excellent airline or a good airline who cares a lot about its Skytrax rating.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Skytrax ratings mean: 2 Star, airline did not respond to Skytrax marketing fluff at all. 3 Star, airline engaged with Skytrax but ultimately did not spend any money with them, 4 Star, airline spends $50k-100k + with Skytrax, 5 Star Airline spends $150k plus.

No real traveler judges anything by Skytrax ratings, and no airline "expert" judges airlines that they have not flown.

I suppose that if I had only flown LH First, and perhaps another European airline or 2 in First, I too would think that it was the "best". I mean I would not have flown on ANY of the actual 10 best first products on Earth, but if I lived in Plato's cave I would think that way. Similarly regarding short haul J, if LH was all I knew, or I was only comparing with another 2 European carriers I would also think the same..............because after all nothing else that matters besides Germany and Switzerland, right?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by hfly
Skytrax ratings mean: 2 Star, airline did not respond to Skytrax marketing fluff at all. 3 Star, airline engaged with Skytrax but ultimately did not spend any money with them, 4 Star, airline spends $50k-100k + with Skytrax, 5 Star Airline spends $150k plus.

No real traveler judges anything by Skytrax ratings, and no airline "expert" judges airlines that they have not flown.

I suppose that if I had only flown LH First, and perhaps another European airline or 2 in First, I too would think that it was the "best". I mean I would not have flown on ANY of the actual 10 best first products on Earth, but if I lived in Plato's cave I would think that way. Similarly regarding short haul J, if LH was all I knew, or I was only comparing with another 2 European carriers I would also think the same..............because after all nothing else that matters besides Germany and Switzerland, right?
Oh, someone has deep feelings of being inferior. I wish I could help you with your problems, but I’m afraid you have good reasons to feel like you feel.

But to give you the chance to increase the substance of your posting from nothing to maybe 5%: What are the 10 F products that are better than LH F?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.