Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH business award ticket - which one is better; JFK or ORD?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

LH business award ticket - which one is better; JFK or ORD?

Hello,

I'm planning on using some of my LH MM points (first time!), to book a mileage bargain trip. Current plan; JFK/ORD (those are my only 2 options) to HEL via FRA/MUC. Business class. 55K miles + ~$1100
All the combinations are pretty close in terms of price, and I'm already planning on taking one way via FRA and the other via MUC. Which would give me some travel opportunities, sane connection times, and the chance to check the product of both the 747-8 and 340-600.

I myself live near Houston, TX so I'm not familiar with JFK nor ORD, and what I'm not sure about is, which airport should I take that trip from (which also means back to). Putting the longer time inside planes on an ORD trip aside, I'd like to hear from your experiences and opinions:

1. Which airport is the better one to go from (security times and lounge) and come back to (customs and waiting times, as I'm not a US citizen, just a GC holder)?

2. Lounges wise - from what I found online, it seems like LH biz tix holders in ORD, are supposed to go to the LX biz lounge in T5 while LH departs from T1, and in JFK to go to the LX biz lounge in T4 while LH departs from T1.
So; is that really the case? If so - is it doable at all AFTER going thru check-in and security of each airport's T1? Or will I need to go in, then out to T5, then back thru security...? Is any of them worth/not worth the hassle?

3. If other lounges ARE a better, and valid option for me - which one(s) are they? Any tips on which one to go to? From/thru where in the airport(s)?

Any info/thoughts/preferences for any reasons - would be very appreciated.
Thanks!
Ori.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:15 pm

Perhaps the United Polaris lounge in EWR will be open by the time you travel, but right now there's only the one in ORD which is pretty nice (although it may not be exactly on your way).

ORD flight is longer, so I'd go for that.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would suggest ORD for two reasons.

First, you are going to need a connecting flight from IAH, and UA does not fly to JFK. That means booking a separate ticket on a different carrier, likely with no ability to through-check bags to LH.

Second, for your ORD LH departure you would have access to the United Polaris Lounge at ORD. That will be better than the LH lounge at JFK.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: LH HON
Maybe a stupid question - why not try LH441 IAH-FRA nonstop? Or via EWR instead of JFK?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by daumueller
Maybe a stupid question - why not try LH441 IAH-FRA nonstop? Or via EWR instead of JFK?
Probably not on the bargain list.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lack
Probably not on the bargain list.
Exactly. IAH is not in the current bargains... and unfortunately the only times I've seen it there over the past year or so, were for ECO tix, and far from being beneficial.

Regarding why not EWR or why not UA flights (at least not on this trip); I'm most likely gonna use some SWA points that i have for the domestic US trip to NY/IL, which not only would fly me out of HOU (instead of IAH) but can only bring me to MDW or LGA. And that means - claiming baggage and transferring between airports, whether I'm taking the ORD or the JFK option. No matter how I look at it - while trying to save as much as I can on real $ - it'll be a loooong trip. That's why I'm trying to maximize the 'fun parts' wherever relevant, as possible.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:11 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ori Kuper
2. Lounges wise - from what I found online, it seems like LH biz tix holders in ORD, are supposed to go to the LX biz lounge in T5 while LH departs from T1, and in JFK to go to the LX biz lounge in T4 while LH departs from T1.
So; is that really the case? If so - is it doable at all AFTER going thru check-in and security of each airport's T1? Or will I need to go in, then out to T5, then back thru security...? Is any of them worth/not worth the hassle?
I don't know where you found this information but as others have already replied you can use the Polaris Lounge in ORD and the LH Business Lounge in JFK. You cannot access the LX lounge in ORD or JFK if you are flying out on LH.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Polaris lounge at ORD is mostly nicer than the Biz lounge at JFK, with the caveat that getting a seat in the Polaris lounge could prove sufficiently challenging to offset the incremental nicer lounge bit. JFK is also a slightly shorter flight.

Transiting across town will suck equally for either.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I don't know where you found this information but as others have already replied you can use the Polaris Lounge in ORD and the LH Business Lounge in JFK. You cannot access the LX lounge in ORD or JFK if you are flying out on LH.
Perfect! From your and others' answers here, and from reviews online, seems like the Polaris in ORD is great AND in T1. The info I read before posting my original questions, was on the official LH website, under their page of lounges rules and locations... From what I read here it seems like their own official page isn't too updated? Or maybe they didn't want to lie, but instead just to tell some of the truth, regarding the privileges in their related lounges...?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12

Transiting across town will suck equally for either.
Yyyyyyup it sure will...
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:37 am

Programs: LH SEN, AF Gold
Perfect! From your and others' answers here, and from reviews online, seems like the Polaris in ORD is great AND in T1. The info I read before posting my original questions, was on the official LH website, under their page of lounges rules and locations... From what I read here it seems like their own official page isn't too updated? Or maybe they didn't want to lie, but instead just to tell some of the truth, regarding the privileges in their related lounges...?
Just run the lounge inquiry on the LH website and it clearly directs you to the Polaris Lounge....
Ori Kuper likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quaxpilot
Just run the lounge inquiry on the LH website and it clearly directs you to the Polaris Lounge....
Oh... Yes it's all there. Now I see what you all talking about; I believe you were all referring to this specific 'lounge search per airport' page here , on which it's specified to go the regular UA or Polaris UA when in ORD, while I was just innocently looking at their 'genera page here' regarding the locations and access rules of LH lounges (in different airports in the world).

But that's ok, as I'm a big believer in my saying that; 'I learn a new thing everyday, at least one, and the day is not over yet!'

Thanks again for all the replies and info. I'm excited for this trip!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
Oh... Yes it's all there. Now I see what you all talking about; I believe you were all referring to this specific 'lounge search per airport' page here , on which it's specified to go the regular UA or Polaris UA when in ORD, while I was just innocently looking at their 'genera page here' regarding the locations and access rules of LH lounges (in different airports in the world).

But that's ok, as I'm a big believer in my saying that; 'I learn a new thing everyday, at least one, and the day is not over yet!'

Thanks again for all the replies and info. I'm excited for this trip!
Have a great trip Ori! The Polaris lounge looks fantastic and ORD will give you more time in LH J. Have fun
Ori Kuper likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:39 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP, be sure and take 20-30 minutes for a nice shower in the ORD Polaris lounge.

Oh, food from the menu and decent booze is also free.

Enjoy.....
Ori Kuper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.