Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa to introduce new/revised branding & livery in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by worldclubber
You did indeed sound like somebody from the "creative industry".
Sorry, I cannot help that - its just the way I was trained. I thought I should offer a qualified opinion though

Originally Posted by worldclubber
You keep asking people whether they like the new AA livery: I actually don't mind it. The difference is that AA managed to keep the well-known color combination (blue and red, in pretty much identical quantity) and nobody suggested that two colors is one too many and that you need to have a "lead color" and essentially eliminate the other. LH lost its iconic yellow and the new blue on the tail is very dark in real life, looks like black on a grey winter day; depressive. In not-so-well-lit areas of terminals, the new dark blue counter fronts are terrible, too.
Well to be fair, I asked once as I see a parallel here. The AA livery has now bedded in so I am interested to see if opinions of that livery changed over time. My view has changed - my initial reaction was, heavens, the tail looks garish, the metallic grey body colour suits the aircraft well, and the logo is poorly conceived. I have since softened on point 1, but still dislike the logo which still appears contrived and somewhat transient as if the eagle's nose is peeling off the body of the logo
Attached Images  
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:49 pm

See the difference between the AA and Lufthansa change is that even though at face value the AA change appears to be a more major overhaul of the brand, they maintained core elements of their branding such as the eagle and the red, white and blue colors. Lufthansa abandoned a core element, perhaps *the* core element of its brand as it was the yellow which made them somewhat distinctive in a world of airlines featuring blue in their liveries. Airlines with primarily blue/white branding are a dime a dozen in aviation. While simplification and clarification certainly can be design values, the last thing you want your design to be is to look interchangeable and generic. Given the numerous examples of pretty similar livery designs posted in this thread, it looks like LH definitely reduced its brand recognition value and made itself blander and more generic.
Crampedin13A and worldclubber like this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Definitely dislike the new livery - I too will miss the yellow colour. It's the whole branding of LH - yellow and blue.

It makes me think about this:

Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by lhrpete
Arial and Helvetica are essentially the same font.
Says someone who has never worked in design
Prospero likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:00 am

I don’t know if it would be possible, but I wonder if they could make the bird on the tail a simple two state hologram. Then as the plane moved the wings on the bird would appear to flap. It would be a cool effect.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by chrisboote
Says someone who has never worked in design
So true. Ariel is fine for Excel spreadsheets but has no place in a customer facing environment.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
See the difference between the AA and Lufthansa change is that even though at face value the AA change appears to be a more major overhaul of the brand, they maintained core elements of their branding such as the eagle and the red, white and blue colors. Lufthansa abandoned a core element, perhaps *the* core element of its brand as it was the yellow which made them somewhat distinctive in a world of airlines featuring blue in their liveries. Airlines with primarily blue/white branding are a dime a dozen in aviation. While simplification and clarification certainly can be design values, the last thing you want your design to be is to look interchangeable and generic. Given the numerous examples of pretty similar livery designs posted in this thread, it looks like LH definitely reduced its brand recognition value and made itself blander and more generic.
That's the key thing, they *are* keeping the yellow, just using it in a different way. It's still the signature of Lufthansa, I think just used in a more thoughtful, design forward way.
oliver2002 and Prospero like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C
That's the key thing, they *are* keeping the yellow, just using it in a different way. It's still the signature of Lufthansa, I think just used in a more thoughtful, design forward way.
Oh yeah, that's the language of their press release..but if you're an airline and you don't have a color on your airplane or in your logo you may as well not use it at all. If I go to lufthansa.com, I see less yellow than I see on united.com and yellow isn't even *really* a United color. (I am aware it's meant to be gold but in website design the difference isn't significant). I will say that the United and LH schemes now do look so similar that one could almost be tempted to think a merger is on the books if that wasn't so outlandish.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
...you don't have a color on your airplane or in your logo you may as well not use it at all. If I go to lufthansa.com, I see less yellow than I see on united.com and yellow isn't even *really* a United color.
The iOS app logo is yellow and white. That's pretty strong branding and definitely stands out.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Dave_C
If there is no more yellow on the outside of the plane (nobody notices the welcome panel) and very little in the terminal, in the advertising and on the website, people will no longer see yellow as „the signature of LH“, younger fliers will not learn that yellow once was the iconic LH color.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: LH/G,KL/G,ABBA!
I haven't scanned all 175 posts here, so sorry if duplication...
"UTA called from 1993 asking for their colour sceme back!"
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
It does look better in the sun
Boeing 747-830 - Lufthansa | Aviation Photo #4842441 | Airliners.net
Boeing 747-830 - Lufthansa | Aviation Photo #4843633 | Airliners.net
@Routemaster1: The similarity to UTA and Qantas has be pointed out several times. I guess LH scraped the idea of painting the doors in yellow when someone reminded them that UTA used to paint its doors in green.

Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by Prospero
So true. Ariel is fine for Excel spreadsheets but has no place in a customer facing environment.
That's what Futura is for...
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The yellow as a sign to point out LH is still there:

The point of contact (app logo, buttons in the website, chocolate wrapper etc) is still in bright LH yellow.

This morning I saw a CR9 in the new colors in MUC:

N1003U likes this.

Last edited by oliver2002; Feb 17, 2018 at 1:45 pm Reason: added tweet
Old Feb 25, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
It seems there might be a chance that the new livery will continue to be optimized or evolve? From the Wandering Aramean blog:

Too blue for Lufthansa? The new livery might be changing

And the original source: Übersicht über die 14 Lufthansa-Liveries - Seite 46

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.