Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed: Connecting b/w UA Award & LH paid Itins in ORD, How to do LH checkin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice Needed: Connecting b/w UA Award & LH paid Itins in ORD, How to do LH checkin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Hello there! I'd appreciate thoughts / advice on a question I'm facing for a trip next week.

Because of some work circumstances immediately prior to a vacation, I'll be flying into ORD on a paid ticket landing at 8p. I am then scheduled to depart ORD on a award ticket to FRA at 10:35p. The inbound is on United and outbound is on Lufthansa. That's tighter than I'd like, but the risk was better than missing a full day of vacation.

However, I'm wondering whether there is any way I'll be able to check in to the Lufthansa flight in Portland OR inside security at ORD, so that I don't have to clear security again in ORD, especially since Lufthansa flies out of T1 as well.

If the inbound is on-time, that'll just mean a more restful time in the lounge. More importantly, if there are any delays, it will mean less risk on the different-ticket transfer.

Some other potentially relevant notes:

-- I will not have checked bags
-- I'm 1K / Star Gold

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wbatl1
However, I'm wondering whether there is any way I'll be able to check in to the Lufthansa flight in Portland OR inside security at ORD, so that I don't have to clear security again in ORD, especially since Lufthansa flies out of T1 as well. ...
Will move this to the Lufthansa forum for additional suggestions but the Lufthansa smartphone app would be one method. Checking in online at 24 hours out is another. If you want a printed BP, you can get the LH GA to print one.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Even going out of security and back in at T1 takes literally 3 minutes, maybe 15 if you don't have pre check.

You might even be able to go down to the gate and see if the gate agent can check you in, but they may not be there that early.

If you are flying Business, I would head to the Polaris lounge and see if the United customer service reps can help (I think they close at 9 or 9:30 though)
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH allows you to checkin online, so you can have the boarding pass with you already atleast 23h in advance. Worst case just go to the UA lounge near B15/16 and ask the LH agent there to (re)print your BP. No need at all to go landside.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
LH allows you to checkin online, so you can have the boarding pass with you already atleast 23h in advance. Worst case just go to the UA lounge near B15/16 and ask the LH agent there to (re)print your BP. No need at all to go landside.
Many thanks, all. Sounds like the online check-in will work. Appreciate the insight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.