Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adria (JP) takes over Darwin Airline (F7) from Etihad

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Adria (JP) takes over Darwin Airline (F7) from Etihad

I was reading this morning that JP is taking over F7.

This is good news for travellers out of LUG and GVA, where F7 has its bases. Hopefully the new "Adria Airways Switzerland" will be part of *A and JP won't pull a EW/4U stunt.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I'm not sure this will be good news for those of us in that region. Probably means the end of Darwin Airline.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Yes... soon F7 flights will be seen in the far north or fliying into the pustza of BUD... LOT and nordica are calling...

GVA / LUG are definitively over... except ZRH-LUG-ZRH LX flights could show up in the future by LX op by OU op by F7...
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if they will remove the Etihad Regional logo, and reinstate the Darwin Airline one - I rather like it. I preferred seeing the Darwin logo flying over the Alps rather than the Etihad one!

The original 2-letter code for Darwin was 0D, I think. Will they retain the F7 code, which I believe belonged to FlyBaboo before?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:55 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Concerto
I wonder if they will remove the Etihad Regional logo, and reinstate the Darwin Airline one - I rather like it. I preferred seeing the Darwin logo flying over the Alps rather than the Etihad one!

The original 2-letter code for Darwin was 0D, I think. Will they retain the F7 code, which I believe belonged to FlyBaboo before?
No will be branded as Adria Airways Switzerland.

I presume we will still see them active in Lugano and Geneva. Ticino had a vested interest in Darwin, they wouldn't have sold as easily if there weren't some guarantees in terms of some minimum coverage of Lugano.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by malmostoso
This is good news for travellers out of LUG and GVA, where F7 has its bases. Hopefully the new "Adria Airways Switzerland" will be part of *A and JP won't pull a EW/4U stunt.
Unfortunately JP is a bit of a stunt itself. Owned by private equity, JPs perspective will certainly not be that of a great carrier but so more that of a great asset to earn money for the shareholders.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GVA
No will be branded as Adria Airways Switzerland.

I presume we will still see them active in Lugano and Geneva. Ticino had a vested interest in Darwin, they wouldn't have sold as easily if there weren't some guarantees in terms of some minimum coverage of Lugano.
That sounds quite good, Adria Airways Switzerland. I've always liked the Adria logo, so it will be nice to see that flying around, although I have never completed a flight with Adria itself. I expect they won't continue offering any flights from Sion (SIR) though!

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Unfortunately JP is a bit of a stunt itself. Owned by private equity, JPs perspective will certainly not be that of a great carrier but so more that of a great asset to earn money for the shareholders.
Does being owned by Lufthansa protect it from bankruptcy in any way? I understood JP to be in financial difficulties.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:10 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
JP is not owned by LH at all: https://www.adria.si/en/press-centre/2016/majority-share-takeover-of-adria-airways-d.d.-completed/
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Right, they are owned by something we call a Heuschrecke in Germany
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is the launch publicity for Adria Airways Switzerland. Looks not too bad actually, maybe some good opportunities for mileage earning and spending.

https://www.adriaairways.ch/en-us/adria_switzerland/
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, Global Entry early adopter
Ah, neat. Another direct option for me to CH to compete with U2. But, mileage earning and redemption will be the only thing that sets JP apart since they, too, operate non-reclineable seats (important when your positioning flight boards before 6:00am and you're still a zombie) and water-is-the-only-free-drink service.

EDIT -- Ah, nevermind. LJU is still the hub. No direct connects between CH and Balkans as far as I can tell. My dream (not) of flying JP ex-Balkans to destinations other than LJU, MUC, and FRA is on hold still. Thank goodness for OS for giving me a real *A option.

Last edited by dcfromdc; Sep 13, 2017 at 6:26 am Reason: Misunderstood the routes
Old Oct 29, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: M&M SEN
Following the grounding of SkyWork Airlines (Bern, CH), Adria Airways will offer 4 destinations from the capital of Switzerland using Saab 2000 operated by Darwin Airline. Starting November 6.

https://www.adria.si/en/news/2017/ai...?SaveCountry=1
Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Where do they find the planes and crews to do this, especially given that one of their ex-CityLine CRJ-700's has been leased to LG (for their upcoming SCN-TXL service)?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Darwin/Adria has fired 15 staff at LUG and appears to be leaving Ticino (Link in Italian).

LX is not planning to add any flights besides LUG-ZRH.

Dire times for LUG.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not good about the staff at LUG. Also, I wonder what will to proposed Berne operations now that Skywork is apparently flying again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.