Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schengen Visa requested by Lufthansa.com on checkin for US passport

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Schengen Visa requested by Lufthansa.com on checkin for US passport

i have a US passport and i am transiting through Frankfurt ( just 2 hours) . i am being asked for a valid schengen visa when i tried to check in online . i called tech support and they were aware of the problem but had no resolution . i am scheduled to fly out in less than 12 hours and i don't know if the airport checkin will work smoothly .
anyone else run into this issue recently ?
Old May 5, 2017, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
So your final destination is not EU/Schengen?

If no, you should have no issues checking in for your flight at the airport. Maybe get there a bit early in case the agent will adress this. I assume all in 1 ticket, so the agent will be able to see that you are in transit at FRA and continuing on a flight to outside EU/Schengen. I wouldn't worry too much about this.
Old May 5, 2017, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Thank you . Yes . this is all in one ticket with final destination being India . i appreciate your quick and reassuring response .
Old May 5, 2017, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When did USA passports start getting schengen visas for short trips to Europe? Has there been a change in the rules since Trump became President? Even if the OP weren't just doing a two hour transit at FRA, I wouldn't think that a visa would be required.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:07 am

Even if you are not transiting only: US citizen may enter Schengen including Germany for 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa.

So it's a problem of the website, not about immigration rules.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When did USA passports start getting schengen visas for short trips to Europe?.
They did not. And the OP knows that. As does LH.
i called tech support and they were aware of the problem but had no resolution .
Read first, reply after.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SK AAR
So your final destination is not EU/Schengen?

If no, you should have no issues checking in for your flight at the airport. Maybe get there a bit early in case the agent will adress this. I assume all in 1 ticket, so the agent will be able to see that you are in transit at FRA and continuing on a flight to outside EU/Schengen. I wouldn't worry too much about this.
This post seems to suggest that OP doesn't need the visa for a quick transit and by implication would need a schengen visa to visit Europe.

This is why I was asking, tongue in cheek, whether I should be aware of now needing to get myself a schengen visa.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This post seems to suggest that OP doesn't need the visa for a quick transit and by implication would need a schengen visa to visit Europe.

This is why I was asking, tongue in cheek, whether I should be aware of now needing to get myself a schengen visa.

Visas only required for Trump supporters.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, Global Entry early adopter
Not that this had anything to do with OP's thwarted OLCI attempt, but there was some chatter a few months ago where the EU Parliament was urging to end the visa-free travel arrangement for US passports. Purely political posturing. The threat is widely seen to not have any teeth. US passport holders can keep calm and carry on to the EU for the foreseeable future.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:39 am
Original Member

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, UA PLT
Same issue

I am having the same issue w my ticket. I am flying through China and I think that is flagged as requiring a visa (which is in the record). I'll see if this is cleared up at the counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.