Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying SN tickets on UA.com to avoid CC fees?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Buying SN tickets on UA.com to avoid CC fees?

I was looking to buy a SN "Light & Relax" fare for BRU-TXL. I got all the way through to checkout on Brussels Airlines' website and then saw there's a Eur32 charge for using a credit card. I don't have any of the debit card varieties that have no fee.

So I went to United.com and it's basically the same price without the extra credit card fee. There's a 24hr free cancel policy so I went ahead and bought.

What's not clear to me is which class of service this equates to in SN. Is it effectively Light & Relax, or is it Check N Go? The United.com reservation display says I get a free checked bag, but I don't fully trust United.com...

Any pitfalls or reasons I should not have bought through United.com? Problems at check-in? I have just over 23 hours to cancel!

Last edited by 49er; May 5, 2017 at 1:15 am
Old May 5, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
I booked SN only itineraries on united.com without any problem, and to my recollection they allow for a free checked bag. If you really want to be sure, look at your itinerary on the united website. Does it say 'Additional Information" or something similar near the top? If so, click that and you should get the SN confirmation number. Take that the Brussels Airlines website and check your reservation. This will tell you what type of fare you have.

If your itinerary doesn't display the SN PNR, you can get it by calling United.
Old May 5, 2017, 1:35 am
Original Poster

I got the SN PNR by calling United (United.com isn't showing it), but entering the SN PNR on SN's website gives an error. I ended up calling SN and they assigned seats and confirmed that I'm allowed a free checked bag.

Now the only issue is whether I'll be able to check-in online on SN's website, or whether I'll have to check-in at the airport.
Old May 5, 2017, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Update: The SN PNR is working on SN's website now. Maybe the system just had not updated yet when I tried before.

The SN booking class is Light & Relax.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Wow, so you got a Light & Relax fare for the same price as the check N' Go fare on the SN webpage? - but with UA codesare flight No. rather than SN fl.No right?

I think you should be able to check-in online without any issues, despite being on UA ticket stock, as long as you have SN conf./PNR No.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by 49er
I got the SN PNR by calling United (United.com isn't showing it), but entering the SN PNR on SN's website gives an error. I ended up calling SN and they assigned seats and confirmed that I'm allowed a free checked bag.

Now the only issue is whether I'll be able to check-in online on SN's website, or whether I'll have to check-in at the airport.
Hey 49er,

As far as i know you shouldn't have any issues checking in on the Brussels Airlines website

-Kev
Old May 5, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by 49er

You should be able to check in online with the PNR you got for SN. (Or at least that was my experience in December when I did exactly as you are doing).
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Hello everyone, I searched and this is the closest thread I could find - my apologies if there were other threads that I missed that would have answered my question. I have a related question. I actually want to buy a 'check and go' fare, and it seems absurd to pay €8 on top of a cheap €38 fare because none the free payment methods recognised by SN seem to work for non-Belgian account holders. Is there any website on which I can buy the check and go fare without paying that silly CC fee? Many thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
On LH.com the CC fee is waived if you start your search from the US site. Have you tried that for SN?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by oliver2002
On LH.com the CC fee is waived if you start your search from the US site. Have you tried that for SN?
Ah thanks. No, I'll try. I did try to buy on the lh website itself but it only shows full fare. I'll check other SN sites!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by oliver2002
^ ^ ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.