Wiki Posts
Search

Disgrace to Chinese Food: Pudong Shangri-La Biz Food Service

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
Disgrace to Chinese Food: Pudong Shangri-La Biz Food Service

I frequently take LH between China/Hong Kong and Germany. I often wonder what is the concept behind the collaboration with Pudong Shangri-La hotel? The Chinese food option is seriously sub-par.
As a business traveller, I certainly won't go to Pudong Shangri-La hotel after seeing how bad onboard food is. Why dont' Pudong Shangri-La hotel just drop the collaboration rather than embarrasing itself by putting its name on the menu? Having its name on the menu really diservice the brand.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I wholly agree with your opinion. If I were you I would comment to both LH & Shangri-La Pudong about this dish and its effect on your vision of each.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Despite I do my very best not to fly LH longhaul, I've also noticed this last year and wondered why the Shangri-La would do that.
The Pudong Shangri-La food outlets are all top-notch - I can only recommend to go there for the food. That makes it particularly puzzling.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:59 am

It looks... very dis-appettising.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:16 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
It does look... disgusting. Let's see what's it meant to be from this menu.

Sautéed shredded Pork with black Fungus and spicy Garlic Sauce enhanced by steamed Rice?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner

Sautéed shredded Pork with black Fungus and spicy Garlic Sauce enhanced by steamed Rice?
Hard not to see the irony...
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The people at LH flyinglabs have now launched an app to report such catering desasters: https://www.flyinglab.aero/FeedbackApp?l=en
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Despite all the remarks here but I still find the food offering more appetizing than what CX does offer in business class, which I rank the lowest quality in food catering category on my list.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Could someone please explain me the connection between a Lufthansa flight and the Pudong Shangri-La hotel?

1) Not all Shangri-La hotels in China are great.
2) Putting the name of a so-called luxury hotel next to a meal in Business Class is quite common in Asia. However, this is just a marketing ploy. The meals are still prepared by the same caterer that cook the Economy meals, as well.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
It basically just means "designed by", as with so many other things. A Shangri-La chef probably told the caterer roughly what to prepare and the caterer produces a low-cost version of it...
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
It does look... disgusting.
That is IMO the wrong term. It looks bad for a Bizz food service, but that's about it (difficult to judge the taste by a picture).

If you want disgusting, you better fly domestic in China. On one flight, I was unable to say what the inflight-meal was. Neither looks nor taste allowed to say what they served. Apparently it was chicken, but it could've been anything....

Last edited by WorldLux; Mar 28, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: EBD , FBG
Originally Posted by WorldLux
That is IMO the wrong term. It looks bad for a Bizz food service, but that's about it (difficult to judge the taste by a picture).
I agree. There are lots of "street food" that doesn't look edible, but actually tastes better than some of that fancy stuff you get in a high end restaurant. Whether that plate is good or not, I don't know. I reckon it also depends on how hungry one is, if humans are hungry enough, they eat all sorts of stuff 😂
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, AMEX Plat (Marriott Gold), AMEX Hilton Aspire (Hilton Diamond)
i've flown a lot between China and the US via MUC/FRA with Lufthansa in PE and C. I'd say the chinese meal is not as good as other meals provided in Lufthansa in PE and C, but as a Chinese myself, it's very decent, at least in my personal experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.